Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went in to get Chanel's last set of puppy shots...YAY!
She is now exactly 6 month old. She weighed in at 4.1 lbs. Oh, and I saw a lady in there and she had a male Maltese in her arms, and I asked if she is online often, and she said yes...so, I refered her to this site. She was excited about it. I did my part... :D

But I do have a question though. My breeder told me to avoid getting the Rabies shot for Chanel. Did anyone else get this advice from their breeder or whoever else? I don't remember the reasoning behind not getting the shot (I was too much of a spazz that night and drove 2 hrs. there and back, got home at 9 pm)?

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
ive never heard of that...its the law to get one, so i dont see why any one would recomend that.

J

·
0 Posts
I have read that some maltese have a bad reaction to the rabies shot. Here in Ohio it is the law to have your dog, cat and ferret vacinated unless you have documentation from your vet that says that your pet should not have it. I work for a local health department and I can tell you there are many owners who don't get their pets vaccinated. If the pet bites someone they have to have the pet vaccinated and not allow the pet outside for 10 days. Most people who have gotten the letter do get their pet the rabies shot and follow the law but the ones that don't get turned over to the county prosecuter. I hate to say it but not much happens to them. Costly to go after. Most show up before a judge and have the pet get the rabies shot but takes months for that to happen.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by jami@Sep 18 2004, 06:55 PM
I have read that some maltese have a bad reaction to the rabies shot.  Here in Ohio it is the law to have your dog, cat and ferret vacinated unless you have documentation from your vet that says that your pet should not have it.  I work for a local health department and I can tell you there are many owners who don't get their pets vaccinated.  If the pet bites someone they have to have the pet vaccinated and not allow the pet outside for 10 days.  Most people who have gotten the letter do get their pet the rabies shot and follow the law but the ones that don't get turned over to the county prosecuter.  I hate to say it but not much happens to them.  Costly to go after.  Most show up before a judge and have the pet get the rabies shot but takes months for that to happen.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9508
[/QUOTE]

How do u go about getting those documents from your vet because it seems to be my word against the vet. Are there any web sites with info? :excl:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I had read in a few places that some Maltese have reactions, but Tuffy didn't really have a reaction.. he was just puny for a few hours after getting it, but he was puny after all of his shots. The best advice I can give you about the rabies shot is when he gets it, wait around in the vet's office for about 30-60 minutes.. that way if she has a reaction, you are at the vets and not at home and they can immediately start working on her.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
my breeder told me to avoid the rabies shot also!! she was saying that maltese can have a bad reaction and in few cases have died.
but my vet was telling me that dying or getting a bad reaction is REALLY RARE, so i went with the rabies shot. i get them all their shots. i tried lyme disease shot once--but my new vet said that if they're on a good tick and flea medicine...you dont have to worry about it, AND lyme disease isnt found in our area.

BUT definitely ask your vet for the shots at different times. so one time get the rabies and the next get the DHLPP...when i did all at once, sprite got a little sick--she just wanted to stay in bed.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I let the vet talk me into giving her her last set of shots plus the rabies shot all at once. She was really tired for about 4 hours. About 3.5 hours after she got the shot she through up, but other than that she was fine.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chanel was also very tired when I brought her home from having her shots.
She didn't throw up or anything, so I am happy about that.

My breeder also told me not to get the "L", leptoprosis (sp?) in the DHHLP shot because many Maltese have died from an adverse reaction. So everytime I went in for those vaccines, I told them no leptoprosis. They gave me a weird look and questioned me, but I went with what my breeder has been doing for 15 years...Chanel is healthy, etc,

Now I remember, my breeder told me not to have the rabies because of bad reactions to it. Haven't gotten the rabies shot yet, but we'll see.

Thanks for the input.

~Elegant

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Mystify gave good advice. Every time this question comes up, I just have to tell Pico's story:

Pico had a reaction to his puppy rabies but his breeder never told me. When itcame time for his next vaccination (my vet gives each vaccine individually, separated by several weeks) of rabies he went into shock within minutes. I was standing at the reception desk because I had decided to stick around for 30 minutes in case this happened....thanks to advice from MO......and he just collapsed in my arms. His gums were grey and he was just a limp fur bag and I nearly passed out myself. :wacko:

The vet, I and the technician worked with him for almost 45 minutes until he started to come around. He was given an antihistimine and perhaps a steroid, I'm not sure about that one, and was put on oxygen. Time just stood still for me as I held his face in the oxygen mask and talked to him and prayed he'd be ok. I could tell from my vet's demeaner that he was worried, too.

After that Dr. Vice said, no more vaccine for Pico. As it is, Texas only requires rabies every three years now but even though we are in an urban environment and Pico is rarely around other animals unless he is in my arms, I would prefer he be inoculated against rabies but not at the expense of his life :excl:

Even though there is a rabies vaccine law, a letter from your vet stating that it is detrimental to your pet's health will prevent you from being cited. For those who get yearly rabies, you can also have your baby titred to see if the immunity is still there and avoid the yearly routine also. It adds to your expenses but most vets today agree that immunity usually lasts longer than 12 months. That is the reason for the Texas law being 3 years.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Sep 18 2004, 02:12 PM
Just went in to get Chanel's last set of puppy shots...YAY! 
  She is now exactly 6 month old.  She weighed in at 4.1 lbs.  Oh, and I saw a lady in there and she had a male Maltese in her arms, and I asked if she is online often, and she said yes...so, I refered her to this site.  She was excited about it.  I did my part... :D

But I do have a question though.  My breeder told me to avoid getting the Rabies shot for Chanel.  Did anyone else get this advice from their breeder or whoever else?  I don't remember the reasoning behind not getting the shot (I was too much of a spazz that night and drove 2 hrs. there and back, got home at 9 pm)?

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9504
[/QUOTE]

First I wanna say.. its GREAT you refered a member! We NEED more!!

My Kodie weighs 3.3lbs... He did receive his 1st rabies shot but it left a BIGGGG lump on his side by his rib.
The lump lasted 1yr and was as hard as a bone. This was also the only shot that Kodie was SCREAMING after receiving it... maybe because hes so tiny and it hit things... i dunno...
Kodie is over due for his second rabie shot... i still have yet to give it to him. <_< I did give him his year booster though. I was always posting on this other forum and they disagreed with me about not giving Kodie his rabie shot. They said a mouse will get in my house and bite Kodie and give him rabies. :eek: I think maybe that will happen if i lived in an area with that problem... but i dont! I think its gross to have a rodent problem in your house! I highly doubt this will occur. I really think my dogs health is more important than a shot thats unnecessary. Kodie is basically always inside. Hes even potty trained on pads. If my dog was an outside dog and was bigger... i would give him the shot. Let me know everyone else opinion. I never gave Kodie a limes vaccine either.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
In most states it's the law to have your dog vaccinated against rabies. If you don't do it and your dog nips someone or gets bitten by another dog or a wild animal, the State can seize your dog and quarentine him for a specific period of time, so you have to weigh that possibility when deciding how to handle a rabies shot.

Depending on which State you live in, the requirements for the vaccine differ. Here in North Carolina it's every 3 years. Some states, like Texas, require yearly boosters.

Since Lady is diabetic, we have stopped doing her other vaccinations, but still do the rabies since it's the law and with her health issues, a forced quarentine would probably kill her. She had her shot in May and although she didn't have the terrible reaction Pico did, she was sick for about 5 days.

The most important thing to remember about any vaccinations and these toy breeds, stagger the vaccines! Don't do DHPP, rabies and kennel cough all in one visit - it's too hard on your dog's immune system and that's when reactions are more likely to occur.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 29 2004, 11:28 AM
In most states it's the law to have your dog vaccinated against rabies. If you don't do it and your dog nips someone or gets bitten by another dog or a wild animal, the State can seize your dog and quarentine him for a specific period of time, so you have to weigh that possibility when deciding how to handle a rabies shot.

Since Lady is diabetic, we have stopped doing her other vaccinations, but still do the rabies since it's the law and with her health issues, a forced quarentine would probably kill her. She had her shot in May and although she didn't have the terrible reaction Pico did, she was sick for about 5 days.

The most important thing to remember about any vaccinations and these toy breeds, stagger the vaccines! Don't do DHPP, rabies and kennel cough all in one visit - it's too hard on your dog's immune system and that's when reactions are more likely to occur.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13884
[/QUOTE]
I understand that its state law to give your dog a rabie shot. I also heard that if there is a health reason why you can not give your dog a shot... a vet needs to fill out paperwork to state that. I'm just a strong believer that too many unnecessary shots are no good for the animal. I brought this topic up on MO and everyone yelled at me... everyone thinks i'm crazy because I really have these strong feelings against this rabie shot for Kodie. I am not stupid... we had a beagle and he ALWAYS received his rabie shot! I have reasons why I feel this shot is NOT necessary and has long term effects to Kodie. If everyone saw Kodie and have been by my side for the last 1 1/2yr... everyone would understand. I think that its almost like a human... some people can not have certain things because of reactions. I'm sorry to hear about Pico being sick... wouldnt the vet give you special papers saying he can not receive a rabie shot because of reactions??
Yes, i have spaced out all of kodie's shots but he still got his really big, hard, lump. I wish everyone just feel his body structure... then everyone will understand...
I dunno if this post makes any sense or not... :wacko:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I don't think all states give you the option of not vaccinating against rabies. I know New York just passed a law allowing you to waive the shot for medical reasons with a doctor's letter, but here in North Carolina it is not an option. Even if it was, you do run the risk of having to quarentine your dog if he were to nip someone.

Where do you live? I work in the legal profession and can look up the law in your state if you'd like.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I live in New Jersey (atlantic county).
What if I dont like anyone touch him.... I usually dont let people touch him because he doesnt like it... he gets scared and crawls up my shoulder.

·
Registered
755 Posts
My vet told me about bad reaction from the rabie shot too. I was worry that princess might get sick but she was fine. He told me that his maltese got really sick from it and it's not unusual.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Kodie's Mom:

I checked the New Jersey statutes and couldn't find any provision for an exemption from rabies vaccine, but the New Jersey Dept. of Health and Senior Services runs the program so I would check with them.

I did find out that if your dog is exposed to rabies or bites someone and has not been vaccinated, it is a 6 month confinement period or euthanasia.

BTW, there were 309 cases of rabies in Atlantic County from January to June, 2004, 7 of them cats.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Believe it or not, rabies is a very serious problem here in NJ. Most people assume because they cannot see the critters, they don't have a rabies problem. Bats, rabbits, mice, rats, ferral cats and dogs, squirrels, racoons, chipmunks, groundhogs, moles, and other small mammals can carry rabies. It's a lot more common than you think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts