1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duration of immunity after rabies vaccination in dogs:
The Rabies Challenge Fund research study

The Rabies Challenge Fund's research study has been made available in entirety to the public.

The goal of the fund was to extend mandated rabies booster intervals to 5 or 7 years and help reduce the risk of vaccine-associated adverse events.

The Rabies Challenge Fund trials have confirmed that rabies vaccine may induce a duration of immunity well beyond 3 years in dogs. These data serve as a foundation meriting further studies to: i) license a rabies vaccine with a vaccination interval of 5 to 6 years, which would enable States to incorporate extended booster intervals into their rabies laws/regulations; ii) develop and license a recombinant, non-adjuvanted rabies booster vaccine for dogs; and iii) establish a protective serum rabies titer standard for dogs. In addition, these data support the dual goals of better and safer rabies vaccination of pet dogs as well as improved public health security.

Dr. Jean Dodds would like to thank her Rabies Challenge Fund partners -- Kris Christine and Dr. Ronald Schultz -- for their commitment, passion and dedication to the study.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts

Duration of immunity after rabies vaccination in dogs:
The Rabies Challenge Fund research study

The Rabies Challenge Fund's research study has been made available in entirety to the public.

The goal of the fund was to extend mandated rabies booster intervals to 5 or 7 years and help reduce the risk of vaccine-associated adverse events.

The Rabies Challenge Fund trials have confirmed that rabies vaccine may induce a duration of immunity well beyond 3 years in dogs. These data serve as a foundation meriting further studies to: i) license a rabies vaccine with a vaccination interval of 5 to 6 years, which would enable States to incorporate extended booster intervals into their rabies laws/regulations; ii) develop and license a recombinant, non-adjuvanted rabies booster vaccine for dogs; and iii) establish a protective serum rabies titer standard for dogs. In addition, these data support the dual goals of better and safer rabies vaccination of pet dogs as well as improved public health security.

Dr. Jean Dodds would like to thank her Rabies Challenge Fund partners -- Kris Christine and Dr. Ronald Schultz -- for their commitment, passion and dedication to the study.
I read the report of the study. How unfortunate and sad that things went wrong with the 5-year portion of it. The results of the 6-year portion were good, but according to the study, they would not be good enough to meet the accepted standard. I would hope that this study could encourage more states local governments to accept a 3 year vaccine schedule!

(I was surprised to read that all 50 states now accept a 3 year schedule.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts