Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we went for our rabies update. I was surprised it lasted for 3 years. I thought it was 5.

I had to ask for a heartworm test, said it was not due. Puddles never had a year old exam, said he was doing okay didn't need it. I would have thought he would have been due many shots and some blood work.

We go to a country doctor thats very busy due to the low fee they charge. I suppose you get what you pay for, but I have let them know several times that if it will benefit Puddles I want it done. I have no ideal of what all Puddles needs (vaccines or lab work), he's now 14 mos old.

I don't want to post his entire health record, but if someone does not mine. I would like to email it to them for review.

Thanks, Cheryl

(you can pm me your email address if you can help me)

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
For Peanut's 15 month appointment (Rabies was due) he got an overall checkup, DA2PPv annual vaccine, a 3 year rabies vaccine. He had a heartworm test at about 11 months when we ran out of Heartgard.

I'm no expert, but just giving you an idea of what we had done

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
There has been a lot of talk about the shots for dogs lately. I went to a web site and read that once they have had their 15 month booster for parvo etc they really don't need them every year now. Some say they can last for anything up to between 3 and 7 years if they even need them again at all, depending on the life span of the dog. A lot of vets say to do them each year simply to get people to bring their dogs in for an annual exam.
With the rabies shots some states have different laws and here in Illinois it is now every 3 years.
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels...annual_vacs.htm I am not sure if you can click on this site but it is very good reading regarding shots for our animals.
You could copy and paste it in your browser and have a good read.
I keep Scooby on his heartworm tablet all year round as it also has other benefits as well but he still had a check for heart worm at his last visit to the vet. I also mentioned it to her about the need for shots now each year and she said she could do a Titer test to see what antibodies he has in his system.
I do hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy is due for the yearly stuff too and I hate that all the vets here pretty much refuse to give them seperate of each other. I've called around and they all laughed over my concern about his getting rabies and other vaccines at the same time, like I was stupid to worry.
At any rate, the vets around here said that a heartworm exam was required every year so I would get one done anyways, just for peace of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts