Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nelson has to go get his tomorrow :mellow:
But anyways I was just wondering, if anyone if you remember or know where they typically give them?

I know for cats, they give them in the hindquarters due to a chance of vaccine related sarcoma...or atleast they should. Is this the same for dogs? I think our vet said they give it in the shoulder blades/back of the neck area. But I'm sure if I suggest other wise, she will do it. I didn't know if the elevated vaccine sarcoma risk was a cat related issue, or just vaccines in general. So should it too be give in the hindquarters for dogs? Or does it not matter?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
it's been three years since my babies have had a rabies vaccine (they are due to get their vaccine by next month) and I really can't remember. I am pretty sure they give it around the shoulders and not in the back leg like they do cats. I am almost positive that rabies vaccine sarcomas is just a problem in cats...although I'm sure it's possible for dogs as well..it's just not common in dogs.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Nikki had it in the neck area, and she had a lump on her neck for 1.5 years. It just went away recently. (It wasn't a sarcoma, but a granuloma.)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nelson was great! So far so good. I think after he had his 3rd puppy shots he was a little lethargic by now and had a lump, and I hurt him once when I picked him up.

But all that he did today was puked in the car after, but he's beeing doing that every time, so I don't know if it was related to the shot. But as soon as we came home he ate, and has been playing and acting normal ever since. We waited at the vet afterwards like 10-15 min just to make sure. He got me really nervous in the car right before he puked, but he seemed fine and normal after that so I guess he was just nauseus.
Yeah we waited till Nelson was over 6 months too. Good luck with Cosette!!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I was glad when Texas changed the law from every year to every 3 years. Here is Arizona it's every 3 years too. My vet in Houston once told me that the vaccine was not made to protect the dogs but to protect the people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts