Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Rachel Ray

2K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  Mystify79 
#1 ·
Hey.. has anyone watched this show on the food network? Its on all different times during the day but i watch the 6:00pm and 6:30pm show. I really like her recipes. Well some I dont like at all.. but when i move out of my parents house.. this might be a great way to start learning how to cook!! It's a great show and you create a whole meal in 30 minutes! yummmm.. :D

She seems to use a lot of chicken stock.... what is that?

#3 ·
I just realized I spelled MEAN instead of MEAL on my thread.... MANNN.... Sorry everyone!! I was soooo excited to post I just didnt look!! hahaha

OHHH yeah Lexi's mom.. I wanna try her penn alla vodka dish! ohh and that mac and cheese with brocoili dish... and the seasonings on her green beans.. and those potatoes she makes with seasonings...
ohhhh mann... too many to name...
omg.. i saw a recipe for marshmellow brownies!
ummm... sounds interesting.

#5 ·
Originally posted by Kodie@May 20 2005, 02:25 PM
I just realized I spelled MEAN instead of MEAL on my thread.... MANNN....  Sorry everyone!! I was soooo excited to post I just didnt look!! hahaha 

OHHH yeah Lexi's mom.. I wanna try her penn alla vodka dish!  ohh and that mac and cheese with brocoili dish... and the seasonings on her green beans.. and those potatoes she makes with seasonings... 
ohhhh mann... too many to name...
omg.. i saw a recipe for marshmellow brownies! 
  ummm... sounds interesting.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63850
[/QUOTE]
Yeah her mashed potatoes or whatever they are look good!

Edit: Have you tried her black & white malts? Those are good!

#6 ·
She was on Oprah that day when Cesar Milan was on! LOL She's got afew recipe books out there too! Maybe I should get her books since I'm gonna move out and cant spend money going out anymore.

#8 ·
I thought Stock was just the plain juice after boiling the chicken or turkey, or ham or whatever, but I looked it up and found this Chicken Stock Its actually quite a few ingredients boiled. Looks very flavorful.

I am going to look for this show. I made a meal in under 30 last night and wished I had more ideas for something like that for every day! I have a few, but my bf asked how many more times he had to have that one

#9 ·
Her new cookbook is excellent. It is geared toward healthy meals. Not necessarily low cal or low carb, but not so much fried, etc. I got it at Sams for around $12.

#10 ·
I would have said chicken stock was just chicken broth...

Fancier chefs may add other "stuff"-

That sounds like good recipes...I may have to look for that at Sam's.
Thanks for the tip!

#12 ·
I am not sure, but I think the difference between stock and broth has to do with whether it has been re-consititued or not. For instance, you make a broth with bullion, and stock from fresh ingredients.

As far as 30 minute meals, there is a very good magazine called Quick Cooking...my mother sent me a subscription a few years ago. They only have quick meals and short cuts. I think that's a great way to start out. Also, check out your local community college or county recreation department. Often times they run cooking classes.

I also like Rachel Ray (love her $40 a day series). Some of her meals may take a bit more than 30 minutes, but I guess the prep time isn't really accounted for. I find that when I make a meal, prep time often is my biggest chunk of time...chopping, cutting, marinating, measuring, etc.

#13 ·
Oh I love Rachel Ray! When I see something I think my family will like, I go to www.foodnetwork.com and print ot the recipe. I'm all about quick meals! hehehe.

-c

#16 ·
I love love love to cook...and love to watch others cook. My daughter cannot take Rachel though because of the annoying factor.

Cooking with chicken stock is a flavorful way of making just about anything. Boiled potatoes done in broth or stock makes it so much more flavorful and you don't have to add as much fat...no need for butter or only a little needed. I know that you did not ask but the local store has cans of broth that are a great shortcut. Since my Teddy is allergic to chicken and beef I started to use the vegetable broth and it adds so much more to any dish. I just made dinner tonight using veggie broth cooking my potatoes. Instead of sauteing in butter or as Rachel would say EVOO, (which is one of the annoying things she does because she always explains what it means... Extra Virgin Olive Oil) you get the flavor and the liguid from the broth. The canned broth can be purchased with low sodium which is what I use...the regular ones with salt can kill a person.

I use at least a can a day it seems sometimes more. You can make your own by boiling chicken, carrot, celery, onion, and seasoning which is always great but when you use it for so much it can be time consuming. I very rarely use a recipe for anything but I do get great ideas from watching. I have actually thought of cooking home cooked meals for those who cannot because of work schedules and because they hate to cook. One day!

S

#17 ·
Originally posted by Kodie+May 20 2005, 08:01 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Mystify79
@May 20 2005, 06:36 PM
I'm watching her show right now!  *lol*  She is a little annoying, but I like the stuff she makes.  
I second that! Her famous lines... " nice and yummy".... "eye ball it"
...very annoying.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63926
[/B][/QUOTE]
How about EVOO.. She always has to say extra virgin olive oil anyways.. what's the point of doing the abbrevation?

#21 ·
Originally posted by Joe@May 20 2005, 10:39 PM
sorry girls bobby flay is the one to watch and that italian girl Giada  woowee

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63956
[/QUOTE]

I like Bobby- And I love the name Giada, but I think SHE'S annoying. hehehe..

-c

#23 ·
Originally posted by doctorcathy@May 21 2005, 11:54 AM
giada doenst know how to say "spaghetti" AND she has a big head and short arms.    in our house...we call her "t-rex" (cuz of the short arms. LOL)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64049
[/QUOTE]

OMG....you're so funny!

-c

#24 ·
Originally posted by doctorcathy@May 21 2005, 10:54 AM
giada doenst know how to say "spaghetti" AND she has a big head and short arms.    in our house...we call her "t-rex" (cuz of the short arms. LOL)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64049
[/QUOTE]
LOL! She is so annoying.. I love her stuff that she makes but I just can't watch her. She looks like a bobble head doll to me. :lol:

#26 ·
I went to the Food Network web site and I dont like how they set up the print opinion to print out the recipes. I wanted to print them on index cards.. and I cant cut and paste the text.. it doesnt seem to work right...
Guess I'm gonna have to print them on regular paper...
(which wont last forever)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.