Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I haven't posted on here in a while, but get on here to read all the time. Anyway, would like to know if any of you have had this happen to your Maltese. My Radar is just not acting like himself. For the last two weeks, he has lost all his spunk, he just lays around. He isn't getting excited about anything - not food, play, walks or sounds from outside, which ususally has him tearing out his doggie door barking his head off. He is eating, drinking, pooping just fine. Doesn't act like anything is hurting him, still jumping on the sofa, bed (and jumping off, just fine). He will come when you call, he will follow you to the treat bowl, but just no excitement, at all - oh, and he isn't wagging his tail much, I see him lift it up, just not wagging it back and forth.

My husband took him to the vet on Friday, and they did a blood panel, but everything came back normal. She did an exam, and said he seemed fine, she thought he might have a virus but wasn't sure. She prescribed Albon for him.

Any help / recommendation would be greatly appreciated. I just want my little boy back, he is so not acting like himself.

Thank you for listening,
Mary

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Wish you lived closer (I'm in Durham) b/c I'd say lets meet and see if Ollie could get him playing. Hope Radar gets back his spunk soon.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
I'm sorry

I wish I had some advise. My puppy is 11 mo old, so I'm still learning. I know that must feel awful since they are so playful. Maybe someone on here knows more about dogie depression or something. I hope Radar is better soon....:innocent: i do like the idea of getting another dog to help.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I'm so sorry your little guy isn't feeling well or not acting like himself :( How old is the little guy? Just wondering why your vet percsribed Albon, but isn't sure what is wrong with your little guy. Albon, from what I read, can sometimes cause side effects, not always, but can. Glad his blood work came back good. I don't know, you know your baby, and if he is not acting right, honestly, I would get a 2nd opinion. I'm not sure why your vet would prescribe something if she doesn't know what is wrong with him. So sorry. I will be keeping you and your little guy in my thoughts and prayers.

I looked up Albon, just in case you didn't, and if your little guy has any side effects, be sure and alert your vet. Hope this information helps.

Why has my veterinarian prescribed this medicine?
Albon is an antibiotic used to prevent and treat respiratory, urinary, intestinal and soft tissue infections. It is also commonly used to treat for coccidial parasitism.
How do I give this medication?
- Give this medication to your pet as directed by your veterinarian. READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY.
- If using the liquid form of this medication, shake well before measuring the dose and measure the dose with reasonable care.
- Give this medication for as long as prescribed by your veterinarian, even if it appears the pet is feeling better. This will help to ensure the infection is all cleared up.
- Have water available for your pet to drink.
- DO NOT give the pet more medicine than directed.
- DO NOT give the medicine more often than directed.
- Try not to miss giving any doses.
What if I miss giving a dose?
- Give the dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with the regular schedule. Do not give the pet two doses at once.
How do I store this medicine?
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Do not store this medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink or in damp places.
The medicine may break down if exposed to heat or moisture.
- Store medicine in a cool, dry place at room temperature. Store away from heat and direct sunlight.
Potential Side Effects
- Albon may cause stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, facial swelling, excessive thirst, excessive urination.
- Other side effects may occur. If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
- If you are sensitive to sulfa antibiotics, handle medication carefully.
Possible Drug Interactions
- Make sure to tell your veterinarian what other medication you are giving your pet.
- Quite often your veterinarian may prescribe two different medications, and a drug interaction may be anticipated. In this case, your veterinarian may vary the dose and/or monitor your pet more closely.
- The following drugs can potentially interact with albon: coumarin, methotrexate, phenylbutazone, thiazide diuretics, salicylates, probenecid, phenytoin, antacids, cyclosporin.
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your kind wishes. He is three years old, and does have a "brother", my other dog, which is a golden retriever, who is 8 years old and very very gentle with Radar.

Thank you for showing the information on Albon, which I had looked up as soon as I got home from work that day. I think she gave it to him, mainly cause she didn't know what exactly is wrong with him, so as an antibiotic, so it covers a lot of different problems. Also she did give it to him in a liquid form, so it is done by his weight.

This is just so frustrating, I wish he could tell me why he isn't feeling well.

Again, thanks!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Aw, it's so hard when there's no obvious explanation...

Before I took Tiff in to be spayed she was behaving more subdued. I thought it was a maturing thing at the time because it seemed to happen gradually and I'm not a fan of spaying too young. During the surgery though, the vet discovered that she had pyometra (infection where the uterus fills with with pus). Surgery went well--the pus was contained, and after she suddenly became a puppy all over again... full of beans and a crazy appetite. Now she's approaching 5 years old and she's still like that except when she has irritable bowel flare-ups and isn't feeling well.

Anyway, no idea what could be going on with Radar. Hopefully you'll figure it out soon or the Albon will help. The vet doesn't have much to go on!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Thank you all for your kind wishes. He is three years old, and does have a "brother", my other dog, which is a golden retriever, who is 8 years old and very very gentle with Radar.

Thank you for showing the information on Albon, which I had looked up as soon as I got home from work that day. I think she gave it to him, mainly cause she didn't know what exactly is wrong with him, so as an antibiotic, so it covers a lot of different problems. Also she did give it to him in a liquid form, so it is done by his weight.

This is just so frustrating, I wish he could tell me why he isn't feeling well.

Again, thanks!!!
Did she draw blood to check for hypothyroidism? I believe blood has to be sent to a special lab for this test. It sounds like hypothyroidism could be a possibility.
Thyroid Diseases: Hypothyroidism in Dogs

Here are some of the symptoms .. dogs won't have all of these, of course.
Lethargy/mental dullness
Hair loss
Weight gain/obesity
Dry hair coat/excessive shedding
Hyperpigmentation of the skin
Cold intolerance
Slow heart rate
High blood cholesterol
Anemia

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did she draw blood to check for hypothyroidism? I believe blood has to be sent to a special lab for this test. It sounds like hypothyroidism could be a possibility.
Thyroid Diseases: Hypothyroidism in Dogs
Yes, she did a blood panel, but I don't think this was part of it. Thank you for suggesting this as I have never heard of this in dogs, I will certainly ask my vet, though the only symptom he has is the first one.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Yes, she did a blood panel, but I don't think this was part of it. Thank you for suggesting this as I have never heard of this in dogs, I will certainly ask my vet, though the only symptom he has is the first one.
My first Malt, Rosebud, had it and the first symptom was that when we went for a walk she would sit down in the middle of the street and not move. My vet (I don't use him anymore) said she just was spoiled and wanted to be carried. She would also sit at the top of the stairs to seek warmth. And she gained weight. She had high cholesterol and anemia. Unfortunately it took a long time to get diagnosed but once it was and she started the Soloxine she became her regular self again. Coincidentally she was three years old when this occurred.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on Radar. He is still the same and after a month of numberous vet visits, 4 doctors (regular Vet, associate vet, internal medicine vet, and a nurologist vet), numberous tests (three blood test, xray, ultrasound, thyroid test, liver stunts test), which all came back normal, and drugs, (they have given him Albon, Deramaxx, Tramodol and a anti-nausea), they don't have a clue what is wrong with him.

The only suggestion they have now is do a spinal tap, which I just feel is too invasive (they have to put them under then draw the spinal fluid out of his neck / brain area) because they can't give me a good enough reason to do it, just that is their next option and the only option they have for me.

I need help, my baby is just so sad, he isn't interested in going outside (which he loved) or what is going on outside (which we always said he patroled), is not barking or showing any signs of excitement at all. He has even stopped greeting me at the door, just waits for me to come see him. Does anyone in the Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point, NC area know of any small breed vets that they can recommend? Has anyone seen this in their malts? It is over a month now and no improvements.

I just don't know what to do, I have run out of options expect try another vet. But I need one that will look at other things then just the obvious, most likely things. Sorry I am just so fustrated.

Thanks for listening and any ideas or suggestions are very appreicated!!!

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
It is so hard when our babies are not themselves. I don't have any advice but I wonder if he is on a lot of meds that they might increase the difference in him. Hopefully someone here will have someplace to take him.
Praying for you and Radar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, I have had the same thought, so now he is off all the med's (which the doctor is ok with) to see how he does in the next week or so.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Mary - I'm so sorry about Radar. Is there a way to find out if there's a vet teaching hospital near you? Anything connected to Duke? Maybe try to PM Dr. Jamie or Sher since I think she might be in that area. Hope someone has some ideas. Sending prayers. :grouphug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts