Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I knew his little legs would cause me trouble... Yesterday after getting home from the dog park after Ramsey had his treat he came limping over to me holding up his left front paw. At first I thought okay no big deal and I checked his pads. Nothing, even between the toes. Then I noticed it was just kinda hanging there at the first joint, and it does feel like something is out of place there. It was all I could do to not drive him to the Vet ER, but he was eating and did not seem to be in too much pain besides the limping. I have been driving my Mom's SUV and usually he just jumps right out before I have time to grab him to put him down. Looks like we are going to be working on that. I'm praying for just a sprain, and waiting for the vet to open at 7 to give them a call.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
He jumps out of the SUV? WOW! You should invest in a car seat or crate and have him strapped in. Also they feel safer that way. Please don't let him ride loose in a car - too many bad things can happen.....:w00t:

I'd say take him to the vet as soon as it's possible and have him checked out. It could be a sprain or a pulled muscle. My Archie has arthritis in his front legs and LP in his back legs and a torn ACL which has since been cushioned by scar tissue. Your vet may put him on pain meds and/or an anti-inflamitory and have you keep him still for a while.

Let us know how he's doing...

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I agree with Pat. He needs to be strapped into a safety harness, car seat or crate while in the car. If you were to get into an accident or even have to jam on the brakes, his little body would become a projectile. Not only could he be killed, but he could also injure anyone in the car.

Hopefully his injury isn't too serious and you can learn from the experience.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vet appt is at 1pm. He's starting to walk around more and put pressure on the leg. Good sign but I still want to get him checked out at the vet. I do strap him in when driving (much to his displeasure) with a car harness. It's when I stop the car he starts failing his body around and gets really excited. But I will be more firm with him from now on.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Hoping Ransey is okay. Had a similar thing a few months ago when I was away on business and DH was taking Tyler off the couch and he sprung from his arms and landed kind of funny, as DH put it. They did ex-rays and put him on an anti inflammatory and he was fine by the next day. But the vet says he has LP in both knees but wasn't worried if he's non-symptomatic. Good luck. Sending good thoughts and prayers to you.:grouphug:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I hope he is ok. Myah likes to jump from places that I think is too high for her. The other day she jump from the bed into her play pen. It was so fast I couldnt believe my eyes. She had never jumped off the bed before because it is pretty high. Amazing what those little babies get into.

Keep us posted on what the vet says about him. Im sending him healing prayers

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I hope he is ok. Myah likes to jump from places that I think is too high for her. The other day she jump from the bed into her play pen. It was so fast I couldnt believe my eyes. She had never jumped off the bed before because it is pretty high. Amazing what those little babies get into.

Keep us posted on what the vet says about him. Im sending him healing prayers
Please don't let Myah jump from high places like the bed. At only four months old, her bones aren't even fully developed. Luxating patellas can be caused by traumatic injury from jumping. We even had a little Yorkie puppy on another forum I belong to break both his front legs from jumping off a bed.

Get her some steps or a ramp. It may save you very expensive surgery later on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update - Ramsey just has a soft tissue tear! Thank goodness! He gave him a shot for the pain and said in a few days Ramsey should be back to normal. He's already trying to jump around! These litter buggers sure can get you worried, but they are so worth it! Thanks all for your support!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts