Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little back-story:
A few weeks ago, I tried to get a dog license from my local humane society. I mailed in the application form, proof of rabies vaccination, and the fee.
A day or so ago, I got a return letter in the mail. In it was everything I sent, plus a sticky pad (with a phone number) that said I was in an unincorporated area (I live just 1 mile of that clinic!) and they couldn't process my application.
After a few minutes of internalizing my anger and frustrations, I called the number...Not only do I have to microchip my dog, she also has to be spayed (unless I can show proof that she's going to be bred, if she's a working dog [aka K-9] or if spaying endangers her life)!
The main reason I wanted to get a dog license was so I could take her to the dog park. Now I'm reconsidering it...
I hate Los Angeles...

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
Don't be mad. I think it is a good requirement, although will probably end up resulting in more unregistered dogs. A microchip is a very good thing to have, and it doesn't cost very much at all. As for spaying, while this is some controversy about it, for most people it is the responsible thing to do. By having these two requirements, the shelters will have fewer unwanted dogs, and lost dogs can be reunited with their families quickly.

If you are dead set against spaying and microchipping, then that's that. But, if you are undecided, let's discuss the pros and cons. Or is it that Sophie is too young to be spade?

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
I totally understand not wanting to be told what to do. I am refusing to get my dogs vaccinated for rabies in the schedule dictated by the drug companies. You need to pick your battles. Try to see the way in which this is a rule that is intended to protect animals. If you still disagree, then make your own choice. But, please do consider that spaying and micro-chipping would help to alleviate the tremendous burden of lost or unwanted dogs on shelters.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally understand not wanting to be told what to do. I am refusing to get my dogs vaccinated for rabies in the schedule dictated by the drug companies. You need to pick your battles. Try to see the way in which this is a rule that is intended to protect animals. If you still disagree, then make your own choice. But, please do consider that spaying and micro-chipping would help to alleviate the tremendous burden of lost or unwanted dogs on shelters.
I will have her spayed and vaccinated eventually. She's just now comfortable with her surroundings and has passed her separation anxiety issues. I don't want to do so many invasive procedures to her in the short span of living together. Los Angeles ordinance states that dog owners need to have their dogs licensed within a month or so of ownership...kinda hard when you want your furry friend to trust you and not be scared when you take her out for "procedures"...

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
I will have her spayed and vaccinated eventually. She's just now comfortable with her surroundings and has passed her separation anxiety issues. I don't want to do so many invasive procedures to her in the short span of living together. Los Angeles ordinance states that dog owners need to have their dogs licensed within a month or so of ownership...kinda hard when you want your furry friend to trust you and not be scared when you take her out for "procedures"...
I really, honestly don't think dogs have a concept of time so whether you wait one month or two isn't going to make a great deal of difference to Sophie. I do think routine is good & that trust is learned, but they mostly feed off of our fears & if we are worried they are worried.
The best bet would be to do everything at once---teeth cleaning, micro-chip & spay. That way it is under one anesthesia & in a week or two she will have forgotten all about it. Her "down" time of healing will also be a bonding time as she will be more dependent on you. Just be sure to pick up one of the soft collars for after surgery---my Kitzi had double knee surgery at one year & a follow up surgery about one year plus, later & he loved the soft collar. :wub:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Poor Sophie, I completely understand how you feel. I don't live in the states right now but if I did I really wouldn't want to be forced to have procedures done before I was ready. I believe it should be our choice. You are obviously a responsible owner or you wouldn't have even been checking into getting the license. I wouldn't have her spayed until you decide it is time. I will regret until the day I die the choice I made to have my baby Jamie spayed. She was two years old and appeared in perfect health. I took her to be spayed without a second thought, just thought it was the best thing for her. While I was holding her as they gave her the first shot to help her relax I never suspected that it would be the last time I would see her alive. My little girl weighed about 10lbs so she wasn't that small and I didn't think that there was anything to worry about. Now it is a year later and I have my Jonas and Ruby and they help ease the pain. Jonas is neutered because the surgery is much easier but my little Ruby is only 4 1/2 lbs and at this point I will never have her spayed. That may change but I would never let anyone force me into anything. Good luck with whatever you decide

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
In some areas, shelters will do the microchip for a nominal fee, such as $10 around where I live. It's done quickly. The greater trauma might be having to stand in line, if your dog is not that social.

About spaying--are you prepared in case she goes into heat before you have that done?

I've had a number of small dogs who were spayed without any complications, although I guess the smallest was about 8 pounds. If and when you decide to do it, probably avoid the low-cost places and choose one where they put a catheter into the dog's "arm" in case they need to stabilize her during the surgery.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
edelweiss, I dunno...Sophie is a fairly smart cookie B). She may not be able to read time but some how (despite my poker face) she knows something is about to happen...she makes beeping sounds like a smoke detector.:HistericalSmiley:

djackson59, that's what I'm worried about. I don't want her pass to the other world from just a routine surgery. I just need a bit more time to assess for medical issues (if any are present). Thankfully, the vet said that she doesn't have a heart murmur or any patella issues.:chili:

mss, As of today, she's completed her heat cycle. Boy was she happy once the diapers came off (kisses all around and tail wagging like there's no tomorrow!). The cost of spaying and micro-chipping isn't an issue with me. It was the amount of required procedures I was required of just to register my spoiled Sophie is a bit overwhelming...
Eventually, I'll have them both done...when the time is right :innocent:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thank you so much Sandy, my new babies help me laugh but I still miss my little girl. I would not want anyone to go through what I went through. I just think that no one should be forced into doing something they are not comfortable with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts