Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet suggested giving jack raw carrots as treats as he is overweight. I bought the baby carrots in a bag for him. Jack is a big boy so I never worried about choking. I was wrong, as he ate one last night he started choking. He scard the heck out of his dad and me. We really didn't know what to do so we just did what we did to our kids when they started choking. Patting him on the back, I tried to get it out. When he stopped choking, we saw it was just a little piece. I never would have though that he would coke on a piece that small. I will never give him carrots again. Is there a vegetable that is softer that he can eat? And is there a proper way to help them when they do choke? Any information is much appreciated. I want to be prepared if there is a next time. Plus I am getting a new furbaby next week who is going to be much smaller than jack. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I hear alot of people use carrots as treats. Last night my trainer suggested it too, and I told her that I will never give her a carrot simply because I choke on them all the time myself! I eat carrots and celery every day in my office, and a couple of times I thought I was going to die back here choking on a carrot
Theres just something about those tiny carrot pieces... I know they can choke on anything, but if the odds are greater I choke on a carrot than other stuff, it could be the same with her
Thats just my reasoning

I too, feel comfy with frozen grean beans- and she loves them. I buy a bag of frozen ones and cut them into about 1/2 inch pieces. I store the pieces in a baggie in the freezer so they are on hand. I just give them to her frozen and so far no problems.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom@Mar 17 2005, 08:29 AM
My vet suggested giving jack raw carrots as treats as he is overweight.  I bought the baby carrots in a bag for him.  Jack is a big boy so I never worried about choking.  I was wrong, as he ate one last night he started choking.  He scard the heck out of his dad and me.  We really didn't know what to do so we just did what we did to our kids when they started choking.  Patting him on the back, I tried to get it out.  When he stopped choking, we saw it was just a little piece.  I never would have though that he would coke on a piece that small.  I will never give him carrots again.  Is there a vegetable that is softer that he can eat?  And is there a proper way to help them when they do choke?  Any information is much appreciated.  I want to be prepared if there is a next time.  Plus I am getting a new furbaby next week who is going to be much smaller than jack.  Thanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43941
[/QUOTE]
Well, I can totally understand your concern. My first Maltese, Rosebud, was a gobbler... she ate her food sooooo fast. I gave her canned and I would cut it in to small pieces and then microwave it so it was fairly soft. But somehow she got choked. I was in the kitchen with her and she walked over to me and laid down on her back and was literally choking to death in front of me. Instintively I reached in her throat and I could feel the piece of food in there. My touching it must have knocked it loose. I was so freaked out over this. I took her to the vet right then and had him show me how to handle something like this. He had said the latest thought was not to try to dislodge by hand since it could cause it to be pushed farther down but things I read recently seem to disagree... so I'm not sure what the definitive answer on that is.

He did show me where to "hit" her to try to lodge it loose. It has been a long time and I probably need a refresher course.... I was in a panic from then on, every time she ate! I started giving her small portions one after the other to control the rate at which she ate.

I agree that carrots could cause choking. I think some foods can be more of a hazard than others and I prefer to choose those foods with less risk.... A little piece of apple, green beans, etc. I think are much less likely to cause choking than a hard piece of carrot.... maybe try steaming the carrot until it is soft......

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Did you cut up the baby carrots? I buy the big carrots (cheaper) and cut them up into pieces smaller than baby carrot size. It's alot of work but I love giving them treats. I would think it's easier to choke on kibble than on carrots.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I think maybe carrots are causing choking problems because they are more slippery than other things, such as kibble. They can easily slide down without thorough chewing... ??

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Mar 17 2005, 11:48 AM
Did you cut up the baby carrots? I buy the big carrots (cheaper) and cut them up into pieces smaller than baby carrot size.  It's alot of work but I love giving them treats.  I would think it's easier to choke on kibble than on carrots. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43987
[/QUOTE]

I didn't cut it up, but the pieces that were on the floor were like grated carrots and that was about the siz of what it spit out. I think I would feel more comfortable not giving them at all. Jack does like apples (we usually share) and I like the green bean idea. Does anyone know about fat or calorie content? I am trying to help him lose some weight because he was just diagnosed with luxating patellas.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Nichole@Mar 17 2005, 10:48 AM
Toby goes crazy for chickpeas/garbanzo beans.  It is hilarious how much he loves them.  He is not a begger, but when he sees that I have them, he climbs on my lap and stares at me until I share with him and of course how can I resist that face?? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43974
[/QUOTE]

How fattening are the chickpeas? We are trying to go lo cal to help him lose some weight.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Yep...but like most things one tiny bite when I'm eating it is fine. Just like I wouldn't feed them an onion, but if I have some in my tuna and they get one bite, they're fine. I would not feed the dog an Avocado...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mine also love dried apple slices. They don't aren't as sweet and sticky as other dried fruits, but they still only get one slice.
Quincymom

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats really scary. the dogs havent choked on carrots...yet. im keeping my fingers crossed.

but maybe he just got carried away because hes never had carrots before?

are green peas healthy? cuz those look like tiny treats.

good luck finding a great treat.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I feed my 3 green beans, green peas (both frozen type & run under warm water like JMM) or any other steamed vegetable we are eating. I just put some aside in a little dish and then use them as treats later that day (or refridgerate them over night and use them the next day). The only thing to keep in mind is if you are feeding your babies this way, you should not add any salt in cooking or steaming them. I cut them into small cubes. They eat turnip, squash, broccoli, zuchinni and carrots this way (all of these are cooked). They also like lettuce, and of course a wide variety of fresh fruits and yogurt. The only fresh veggie they won't eat is cucumber.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Oooh yes, yogurt! If you buy it just for the dog, though, get plain with no sugars/colorings/flavors.

You can stuff a kong with yogurt and freeze it. You can mix kibble or treats in with the yogurt, too. Mmmm for the dogs!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I am surprised that your vet or trainer recommended RAW carrots for threats. Raw carrots are hard to digest for dogs.

If your dog is chocking, you can do Heimlich Maneuver on him.

Heimlich Maneuver type 1

1.- Lay the animal on its side
2.- Put one hand on its spine and the other hand on its belly
3.- With the hand on belly, push inward and upward with quick short motions
4.- Look in mouth for object and remove.

Heimlich Maneuver type 2

1.- Lift the animal off the ground and hold it vertically (head up and spine against your chest)
2.- With arms around belly push inward and upward with quick short motions
3.- Check mouth for object and remove.

Heimlich Maneuver type 3

1.- Kneel behind the standing animal
2.- Place hands under belly just below the rib cage
3.- Push inward and upward with quick short motions
4.- Check mouth and remove any object.

You have about 4 minutes to do this.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Mar 17 2005, 10:25 PM
I am surprised that your vet or trainer recommended RAW carrots for threats. Raw carrots are hard to digest for dogs.

If your dog is chocking, you can do Heimlich Maneuver on him.
Janine, thanks for posting this valuable information. I'm wondering if we have a couple more options because our babies are so small. I hope I'm not remembering incorrectly, but I swear I think my vet said to hold Rosebud upside down (head toward floor) and tap on a spot on her back. And I believe he also said I could hold over my lap face down and tap on that spot on her back. Could those be correct as other options? I'm thinking I remember him saying something about the technique being what you would use on a small baby ??

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Nichole+Mar 17 2005, 04:52 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2005, 11:26 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Mar 17 2005, 10:48 AM
Toby goes crazy for chickpeas/garbanzo beans.  It is hilarious how much he loves them.  He is not a begger, but when he sees that I have them, he climbs on my lap and stares at me until I share with him and of course how can I resist that face??  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43974

How fattening are the chickpeas? We are trying to go lo cal to help him lose some weight.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44001

[/QUOTE]
Here is a nutritional information chart about chickpeas:

Chickpea chart
Scroll down towards the bottom.

In total, I usually end up giving Toby about an 1/8 of a cup.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44063

Wow, thanks for the info. I should eat them myself. I have diabetes and high cholesterol
[/B][/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 50 Posts