Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently done some research and talked to several people on different diets. After the research, I decided that in addition to their Chicken Soup Dry kibble that I would add a "raw" diet. Right now theyre on the freeze dried and have only tried a little bit. The "raw" version still makes me feel weary. Here is what I am feeding: http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lass...2A571vhO35AAA30

This brand (natures variety/prairie) is awesome, everything is already prepared and either frozen (and you thaw it) or freeze dried (which makes the "raw" effects for us mommies 100% better). After doing more reading today, I am still not 100% sure I want to change their diet to 3/4 raw, something about it scares me, I think mostly the possibility of bacteria. I bought the organic chicken frozen and the venison frozen, and my question is, what would be the difference if I just cooked it in a pan so it wouldnt be totally raw? Somewhere I was reading one of the vets mentioned why dont you just cook it rather than give it 100% raw, but it still didnt make sense as to whether their would still be benefits of supplementing their current dry only kibble with it.

I know the raw diet is a controversial subject, I just wanted to know if anyone knew if it would be ok to actually cook (not well done, but just moderately cooked) the medallions that I am purchasing as "raw" diet.

Id also like to hear what people think about the raw diet. I know vets are against it for the potential bacteria risk (which scares me also), but so many people say its benefiting. Just in the 3 days that i Have done the freeze dried medallions, Maya's tear stains have improved by 100% (not joke, I just cut the stained part and they havent grown back stained like normal).

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw- I do know that if I was giving them the traditional "raw" or "barf" that wasnt pre-ground or packaged that I could not cook because the bone would no longer be safe. I dont mean can I cook a chicken and give it to them, I mean can I cook the prepackaged medallions. Thanks

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Brooke, Is there an 800 number somewhere on the packaging that you could call? They would be able to tell you whether or not you can cook the food. If they say no, I would toss it out. I would not feed the raw food.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Sep 11 2005, 10:09 PM
Brooke, Is there an 800 number somewhere on the packaging that you could call? They would be able to tell you whether or not you can cook the food. If they say no, I would toss it out. I would not  feed the raw food.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98664
[/QUOTE]

really? Yeah I will call. Do you just mean you wouldnt feed that raw food, or any raw food? I definitely am looking for something other than the kibble so might try the honest kitchen

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
really? Yeah I will call. Do you just mean you wouldnt feed that raw food, or any raw food? I definitely am looking for something other than the kibble so might try the honest kitchen
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98669
[/QUOTE]

I personally would not feed ANY raw DOG food. People food like carrots yes but not dog food.

*Sassy will not eat raw carrots. She likes her people food cooked.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
honestly.....get a book from amazon.com about BARF or raw food diet.

and i feel that if youre going to give your dog a homecooked diet or raw diet----stick to it. dont add it do dog food. you'll read in all the books that dog food is basically bad for your dog. and dog food has a lot of fat anyway....so if you took that away from your dog---you can add more human food.

good luck!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts