Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Raw Feeding for Maltese - Answers Brand Raw Food

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  jsbrook 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone feeds their maltese this brand. Home - Answers Pet Food We are transitioning our goldendoodle to it and will do the same with the bernedoodle at the right age. The maltese will be the third and final family dog. I am more concerned feeding raw for such a small dog, though I believe it has benefits. I do think that a brand like Answers that has done the balancing for you would be the way to go for a toy dog (if at all). Thoughts?

#2 ·
My fluff who has had pancreatitis and other digestive issues couldn't tolerate the higher fat content, but I know quite a few Maltese owners whose dogs are thriving on Answers. I would definitely stick with a high quality pre-made like Answers rather than trying your own recipes.

#3 ·
I don't feed the Answers brand (because I haven't seen it in my area) but I do feed one of my malts and my shih tzu freeze dried Primal raw. Also, I make bone broth once a month and freeze it in small containers, I heat the broth and add it to their meals instead of warm water. Oh, I also add the bone broth to the Hepatic prescription food for two of my other malts. ...the oldest gets whatever she'll eat at this point. The pups on the raw are doing great!

#4 ·
Thanks for the input, all. Very helpful. Our current puppy also loves Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried raw. We've started breaking little pieces off and using for training rewards for commands and behaviors. I feel like this brand could work well for a Maltese as primary food.

#10 ·
Commercial raw like Answers or S&C tends to be very high in fat and protein. If your dog has a tendency towards pancreatitis, it can make things worse. Regardless of whether it's raw, freeze dried, or wet food, read the labels. And avoid kibble it you can - it's too difficult for small dogs to process because it doesn't contain enough moisture and they don't drink enough water to handle it.

#12 ·
oi
I agree. Where do we go. Who knows what is best? We need to be able to get sample sizes of the different foods of choice. And then, grain or grain free. Most of us dont have time to research and still come out with no answer. I do not want to go to wet food and I have donated many bags of food my Lucky will not eat. It is easy to say, just put it down and leave it, he will eat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.