Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Raw Food

961 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MaxMommy 
From what I've read, if you use a commercially prepared raw food all the computation is done and you don't really need to add anything else. I use a mix of a frozen raw food (FarMore or Nature's Variety) and a dehydrated raw food (The Honest Kitchen). The dehydrated food has the additional supplements, but the raw frozen is strictly the food and usually salmon oil.

I do add some Missing Link ocassionally but other than that I serve the foods by themselves (and any prescribed meds).

I think that the raw diet has been beneficial for my furkids, especially the 16 y/o Pekapoo. HTH!

Unfortunately, I don't live in an area that sells the frozen or dehydrated food. I order online direct from The Honest Kitchen and Only Natural Pet Store for the frozen since they are located in CO (I'm in NM). The shipping for the frozen can be a killer, but the furkids are worth it!

I could drive 2 hours to purchase the FarMore, but the pet resort that sells it only has the 2.5# chubs and I prefer the 1# chubs. They also sell the Nature's Variety medallions but they are about 2x the price from Only Natural and the cost of filling the gas tank is about the same as the shipping from CO, so ordering online is more convenient for me.

I've found that on either coast it's easier to locate a distributer for many of the frozen foods (Aunt Jeni's is highly recommended if you're on the East Coast). Places like Whole Food Market and some larger health food stores do carry some varieties of the natural dog foods. HTH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.