Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
was this near one of those big buckets of open rawhides or were they in packages?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@May 24 2004, 09:13 PM
They were all packaged.
well then, that blows my theory :wacko:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@May 24 2004, 09:43 PM
What was your theory?
well i know here some store have them in big buckets or bins and people pick thru them finding the right one so they are bound to have germs and such on them, haha, that all i could think of :wacko:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
that article is disgusting! I dont see how anyone cant wash their hands after handling pig ears---they're soo greasy.

and about the rawhide thing---thats weird. i heard from a dog trainer that rawhide is soaked in formaldehyde--anyone hear that?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i read up on the formaldehyde thing---turns out that if you buy it from mexico or another country---then they soak it in formaldehyde or chlorine. but if its made in the USA---then its fine. but there's still warnings about choking and stuff.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ok all of this had me concerned, so I did a little research and gave my vet a call. Basically he agrees with what I found in this article:

News Paper Article (July, 2001)

As you search around you will find lots of opinions. Tiki loves to chew rawhide and I do buy the good old "made in the USA" kind. I always supervise him and take it away when he looses interest to let it "harden" again. My vet said this is fine unless he starts having problems.

Hope this helps

Judi

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats so weird about the article because he said that there's formaldehyde in animal feed. they probably do it as a preservative, you know? yuck! I have kong with peanut butter and i guess the longest i've kept it out is 3 hours. and i freeze it, so it takes them a while to eat so they pretty much keep interested in it.

i havent had problems with bully sticks or pizzle sticks. and with the bully sticks---i've bought some that are around 3-4 feet long but its around $7-8 each--BUT it takes them maybe a week to finish one (including gruffi chewing it). and Petco has bully sticks that are 12 inches long. and thats around $3 maybe. but that lasts a long time too. try buying one--im sure your dog will love it. also try the 12 inch braided ones. the braided ones are pizzle sticks and smell like peanut butter when chewed.

take them away when theyr'e around 3-4inches long.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
That's interesting I've never heard of the bully sticks either. I will definantely look into getting some for Caesar. We gave him his first piece of rawhide a few days ago. I dont remember what kind it was, my grandma bought it for him, but it was sealed/packaged in white plastic. He loves it and its taking him forever to eat on it. I'm thinking it was like Friskies Alpo brand, anyway its long and flat. We debated on giving it to him, not because of the germ or chemical thing...we had no idea about that until now, but we didnt want him to choke on it. We just let him have it when we're watching him.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats great that you're keeping an eye on caesar. i had a tutor for my math class and i gave him a bully stick because he asked me about it. and i was like 'just make sure you take it from him when it gets to around 4 inches long' and he was like 'how am i supposed to know' and i was like 'well, you have to watch him'. turns out that his jack russell is an outside dog.
i feel bad for him. but yeah, as long as you're watching your dog--you're totally fine.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
they're made out of bulls penis. i know it sounds nasty...but oh well. lol. :lol:

you should get Tivo. we got that last month---i get to tape everything and i never miss a show...and i dont have to watch commercials!!! yay!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts