Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Daisy just got a series of puppy shots. She got rabies and lime on 2 seperate weeks. after the Rabies we noticed that she had a bump in the area that she got the shot. when we went back the next week for the other lime shot she said it was a reaction to the rabies shot. Has anyone else experianced this?
She said it would go down in about a month and that she would be fine to get the shot again in the future. It just seems weird.

Also we got an estimate for spaying and they charge up to 600. Does this seem normal?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
The reaction is not uncommon. As of the the price of the spay...

My vet charges $90 of the spay and $10 for pain meds to take home.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
$600 for a spay?????

But you live in Boston, right? Maybe that's normal? I know it's a very expensive area.

I think around here (Raleigh, North Carolina) it's close to $300 with all the bells and whistles (pre op bloodwork, pain shot, meds, etc).

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I priced out how much Nikki's was going to be:
- Spay ($90)
- Pain meds to take home ($10)
- Microchip ($40)
- umbilical hernia ($60)
- pre-op blood work ($60)

And it came to around $260.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone.

She still has the lump but I will just watch it.

Will she have the same reaction each time she gets the vaccine?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ouch that is a lot for a spay! I asked my vet how much it would cost
to spay my Great Dane and he told me $200 and something and even that
was only because of her size and the amount of medicine it would take to put
her down for it.

The going price for puppies around here is around $60. Maybe you have a shelter
around there that would do it cheaper? Usually the shelters will do it cheaper
because they just want to make sure it gets done.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Tucker got a lump from his puppy vaccines also. I didn't even notice it, because he was such a furball. Then I took him to the groomer and he was matted pretty bad, so she shaved him very short. When I went to pick him up, she told me he had a tumor on his back. I was freaking out of course. How does a 3 month old pup have a tumor is what I was wondering. So I rush over to my vet and he tells me it's just a reaction from the vaccine. Whew, what a relief. I still can't believe the groomer told me it was a tumor, when she probably doesn't have any medical experience. She could have just said, I found a lump on his back and you might want to get him checked or something like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.