Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hubby always gives Rudy rib or steak bones.He LOVES them and it's not all that often.Maybe once or twice a month but I'm worried that they may be harmful. Do any of you allow your babies to have the real thing?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
All I know for sure is that cooked chicken/turkey bones are bad. I would assume any cooked bone, because it breaks easier. I had a friend whose Shiperke (sp?) had to have surgery b/c a chicken bone got stuck in its throat.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Why You Shouldn’t Feed Your Dog Bones

Tug, a 13-year-old male neutered Schnauzer mix, was presented for gagging, lethargy, difficulty breathing and drooling for two days. On physical exam, Tug seemed to be uncomfortable, drooling, and had a painful abdomen and painful throat, with a mass just below the larynx (voice box). In his history, the owner's children had given him some steak bones five to six days earlier. The possibilities for Tug's condition were:

bone stuck in his throat
tumor in his throat
abscess in his throat

Blood work was performed to determine if an abscess was involved. Other than indication of mild dehydration, due to not being able to drink very much, everything was normal. Tug was then sedated and an oral exam was performed. Sedation was needed to relax Tug so we could look as deep in his throat as possible. Nothing abnormal was seen on oral exam, other than Tug desperately needing a dental. X-rays were then taken of Tug's throat. The X-rays revealed a large piece of bone stuck in the esophagus, below the larynx, pushing on the trachea (windpipe).

It was determined the best way to remove the bone was with an endoscope. Tug was hospitalized for about two days after the removal of the bone. He was placed on medication to help heal the irritation in the esophagus and decrease the scar tissue upon healing. Thankfully, Tug recovered well.

This is one of many reasons why bones should not be given to dogs. In Tug's case the bone was stuck in his throat. Fortunately, Tug did well after removal. Bones, if they reach the stomach and intestines, can splinter and puncture the intestines or become stuck in some of the narrow passages. This can potentially result in the death of the pet.

(This was an actual case history from a local veterinary clinic actively affiliated with the Hillsborough Animal Health Foundation.)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have been wondering about bones, too. I have seen lots of advice about giving marrow bones (even to Maltese), even have directions on how to roast the bone to make it safer to gnaw on, but I have never actually given it. Is it really safe to give marrow bones, either cooked or roasted?
Quincymom

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Cooked bones are not safe. Never give ham bones, cooked or raw.

Raw bones do come with risks of salmonella and e-coli which yet, dogs can get. If you are going to do it, it should be for healthy dogs only and it is better if you get them from a good butcher rather than the grocery store.

Knuckle bones are great for teeth.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Tonight we had a church dinner with fried chicken and one of the older ladies came in and asked for the left over chicken bones for her dog. I really gave her down the road about it...but I told her I just cared about her dog. She said he was almost 200 pounds (
?) and that she has given them to him for several years with no bad results.
There were several people that told her it was bad. I told her she could have all the bones she wanted, but I didn't want to watch her take them and if something happened I didn't want to know about it!
I was SO aggravated at her!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Raw or dropped in boiling water for about 30 seconds to get the blood off. I would not feed the knuckle packaged bones in the store. My dogs do not get any bones like that because Mikey is immune compromised so I won't have them in the house. We stick to CET chews.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts