Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Well it's time to get my Little girl Jazz spayed. I'm kind of nervous because she is on the small side (under 4lbs.). I checked with our vet about bloodwork and the type of anesthesia they use and they had all the right answers. They keep them overnight as well. What I was wondering was what your experiences have been with recovery time? The last time we had a female spayed was in the late 80s so my memory is a little foggy, but it seems she was up and about and back to her normal self in a couple of days. She was larger than Jazz, about 6.5 lbs. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have only have had male dogs and I know it's not as big a deal. I want to hear what others have to say about this so when it's time to spay my yorkie I'll have some idea what to expect. Hope your little girl does well, kep us posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"How did the spraying go? Wished you luck."

Thanks for asking. I haven't been posting much because my computer keeps "unregistering" me, but I "lurk" daily. Anyway, Jazz is now doing fine and back to her old self. The vet did call me in the middle of her surgery (spaying and extracting retained baby teeth) to tell me that all but 2 of her baby teeth were retained. I guess she called to let me know the cost was going to go up considerably ( a $200 increase), but she needed it done so I didn't really care about the cost. If it needed to be done it should be done. My little girl hid under a chair in the family room for a couple of days and seemed a little upset with me. I was nervous as a cat about the whole thing but glad that it's been done now.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I had the same "baby teeth" thing with Tiki. I understand it is quite common. We also incured additional expense
but I, like you, felt it was better not than later. Glad Jazz recovered well!

Judi

·
Registered
181 Posts
Colette will have to be spayed...probably within a month or so. I need to discusss this seriously with the vet since I do not want her staying overnight. There is nobody there in the middle of the night, therefore, I can take better care of her. I won't have her left alone.

Next we come to Shark Mouth.....Colette practically has two sets of teeth! I look in her mouth and it is really funny. I'm not concerned since I've heard that this happens frequently. The expense will probably be astronomical since I see so many. The one concern I have is that they pull the baby teeth and not the adult ones by accident since all the teeth are so tiny anyway. She has 8 canines!!

Worry Wart Mom

·
Registered
346 Posts
Morgan is male, so different, never had to deal with a female. But went smooth when he had it done. Had the same thing with the baby teeth except two days before going in, one of the baby teeth they were going to extract came out on its own, so only one ended up having to be taken out. He did the same thing to me too, didnt' want much to do with me after it was done. I have to admit, I cried a little, but after about two days, he was back to wanting to be with me 24 - 7. Maybe it was just the effects of the anethestic? Dunno.........

·
Registered
181 Posts
I took Colette to the vet for her rabies shot last Wednesday. I could have gotten the shot for free, but I don't trust the animal hospital I would have had to use.

Colette will be spayed on December 15. She also needs 4 baby teeth pulled at $10 a tooth. Wish they could tell me which ones so that I could save $40. :lol: The grand total, including the pre-op and teeth + flouride will be approximately $280. She goes in at 8:30 in the morning and will be home later in the day. I know I'll be a nervous wreck! My baby!!

Gail

G

·
0 Posts
I had no idea that you had to get their teeth pulled! Her baby teeth all came out on their own. She had stinky breath for a while but once they all fell out the breath was back to normal. Why are you all paying to get it done? Won't nature take over?

·
Registered
939 Posts
This is common in small breeds, but it doesn't happen with all of them.
As far as the cost, this is what happened with Tiki:

When we had him neutered 3 teeth we extracted with an additional cost of $78. I get a discount for purchasing a "puppy plan" from my vet.

Two months later I noticed one of Tiki's teeth in the back looked weird and his breath was a little off; I took him in and sure enough one of his baby molars hadn't come out all the way and the adult tooth was coming in under it. It was in the gum line to deep to be just popped out. He had to have minor surgery to have it removed. It took the vet about 10 minutes surgery time (Tiki was in for 1/2 day with recovery) and the cost was $72.00. This fee is also discounted under my plan, but was still much more because the first three had been done while he was already under.

Hope this is the information you were looking for!

Judi

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi all,
Colette was spayed yesterday morning and also needed her 4 baby canines extracted. I had my husband bring her in...hey, I didn't want her to associate me with this. :lol: We were able to pick her up at 4:30. The vet said she might not want to eat for 24 hours. She was still a little sleepy and was also shaking....although she seemed surprised to see her home again! Since she was shaking slightly, I called the vet who told me not to worry. Oh yes, she was also sent home with Rimadyl, a pain killer. She went into a corner to be alone after making sure it was truly her home. I didn't like the fact that she went to isolate in a corner, so I called my breeder who also said not to worry and that this is a very traumatic operation for them.
I let Colette stay by herself and she refused food. About 1/2 hour later, I decided to end her isolation and carried her into the bedroom, lay down with her, talking softly and petting her for almost an hour. Then I offered food and water again......did she ever eat!!
Today she's been eating as though there's no tomorrow and even crunching up her Science Diet which really surprised me after the 4 extractions! She's also bounding around the house, and I would say that unless someone knew her extremely well, they would never notice that she is just a bit underactive. I want to keep her this way to make sure the stitches don't open. I gave her only one pill last night; she is in no pain. The vet said she'd be able to run a marathon in 2 weeks. :D Oh yes, right before the operation she weighed 3.9 pounds at 7 months. She is just about back to her old self and I'm extatic!! Considering the cost, this will be her Christmas present....like it or not. :lol:

Gail

·
Registered
994 Posts
My Maxi is getting neutered on april 8th and the vet mentioned taht he had 2 retained teeth but i dont think that i am going to let them pull them i dont want maxi to feel so much pain between the neutering and his mouth will hurt i just dont want too ...im nervous enough about this

·
Registered
939 Posts
When Tiki was neutered we had a few baby teeth removed (in hopes that it wouldn't be necessary later to put him "under" again). He recovered very well with no real problems. Your vet should offer you a pain killer for your pup.... ours did and we used them the first day. Tiki was fine after that.

I did end up having him put under again though becaused they missed one of the baby teeth the first time, we didn't discover it until the molar under came through and I could see the other hadn't come out, his breath had gotten a little sour so I checked it out and found the tooth. It had abscessed and needed to be surgicaly removed. He had a little more difficulty recovering from that one though.

Keep us posted on the surgery and how Maxi does.

Judi

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
its better to get both done at once, they are both minor surgeries, and he will be fine. I'm a vet student and when I worked for a vet it was a very common thing. Just make sure the vet prescribes some pain meds and all will be well. The risk of anesthesia is more than the risk of his mouth hurting, will also save money too. good luck

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i also forgot to mention that it is possible the teeth will fall out before surgery time, play a little tug with a rop, this will help losen those teeth. Parker's canine teeth were not out enough at the time of his neuter so the vet did not want to pull them. So i would wiggle them from time to time and eventually they became loose and fell out. it was also good because he got used to me fooling with his mouth. good luck again!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Mogran needed two teeth pulled at the time we had him neutered..one fell out about two days before so we ended up only needing one pulled. I think it was better to get it all done in one shot and not have the dog put out again later on and have him uncomfortable all over again. Much easier on him to do it all at once. I took the advice of my vet and was glad I did.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts