Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Bella has a little red patch near the corner of her eye on her skin. Is that because the tears got lodged there and made her skin irritated? Its not regular (just on the hair) tear staining, is there any thing I can do for her? The groomer said her skin is just irritated and that after her bath Monday it will be better, but I can't help but worry about this, anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? Thanks

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
she might have some moist dermatitis from all the tearing..to make it better u need to try to keep the area dry...difficult yes...but just wipe her face a couple times a day.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Aug 25 2005, 01:46 PM
she might have some moist dermatitis from all the tearing..to make it better u need to try to keep the area dry...difficult yes...but just wipe her face a couple times a day.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94019
[/QUOTE]

This might be a silly question, but what should I wipe her face with? A bath towel might be too rough, do you think I should try Kleenex? Maybe if I start keeping it dry now and continue that after her bath Monday it will clear up. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yeah a tissue like kleenex would be best

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Aug 25 2005, 01:58 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadyMontava
@Aug 25 2005, 01:52 PM
yeah a tissue like kleenex would be best

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94022
You could also get some of those baby washclothes. They are pretty soft and not too expensive.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94029
[/B][/QUOTE]

I didn't think of that, I'll try that too. I've never seen this in other breeds. I wonder if all dogs do it and we don't know because they're not white, or if its a Malt thing.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
ive seen it on many breeds..pugs and bulldogs always have it b/c of skin folds..my parents cocker got it a couple of times from tearing.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by adorableaccentsdogbows.com@Aug 26 2005, 09:36 AM
Has it since she whent to the groomers? Did the groomer trim the eye area? I was wondering if maybe she/he got a little to close to the skin and it became irritated. Poor Bella

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94174
[/QUOTE]
How about putting a little cornstarch on the area to keep it dry? Would that help? Also, is it possible the groomers trimmer was not sanitized before use on bella? Hope it clears quickly for her. Must be a tad uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your concern
I got worried yesterday and took Bella to the vet. They put that stuff in her eyes that tells them whether or not she has a scratch (the vet thought maybe she had a scratch in her eye and it was making her tear excessively) but she didn't have a scratch. The vet cleaned the area really well and gave me some ointment to help with the irritation, it's called TriOptic-S and has bacitracin and hydrocortisone in it. She said the steroid would help with the inflamation and it should clear up pretty quickly. It already looks much better. I can't tell right now if the groomer trimmed to close or not (the vet said that probably wasn't the cause) but when she is less red I will really check it out up close, and if she did, I will be very clear to her to be more careful, poor baby. Bella had this problem once before, but I hope it goes away fast and never comes back. I wish I knew for sure what it is, but I just don't know. I think the best thing to do is probably just let the medicine work its magic and have the groomer let her hair grow out more there just in case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts