Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's so hard to believe that Xena has been with us just over a week already! We've had quite a few changes and are all adjusting nicely.

Background: Xena was adopted from Castleford Maltese in NJ where she was retired from breeding. Her last puppy went home a bit before Xmas. She had three or four litters of one pup each! It's funny b/c her mom is small (we met her & she's FULL of energy at 14), Xena was small, all her pups topped out under 4 lbs, but she kept growing & is now close to 10 lbs! She still has a bit of puppy weight to lose, but her size is just perfect for us. Her mom & dad were both champions & she won a few things before outgrowing "the standard." My family (hubby, daughter age 5 and 11/12 & myself) were looking for a Maltese who was little older and a bit bigger, so we were very happy to get Xena! Xena turned seven YESTERDAY!

The first three nights were rough b/c we didn't have a crate for her yet. It didn't sound like she used one very much, but we found she did at night. Once she started sleeping in it (on top of a toy box so she could see us), we ALL slept much better. I was also nervous leaving her alone on Tuesday when my daughter & I went back to school, but she did just fine! She ate, she slept, she pottied!
It took a few days, but I now have a second little girl who is a huge cuddler & is always checking my position. "Mooooommmmm......?" It's actually very nice that she's a bit older b/c she spends a lot of time sleeping on my lap or right by me!
Love that!

Xena is paper trained, but has had some difficulty at times going on the paper! We are reminding her whenever she starts circling & it's getting a little better. Have to say we are GLAD she's an inside dog given the nearly two feet of snow we got yesterday! She doesn't show a bit of interest in toys yet, but she's getting very playful with me. She walks, hugs & directs me to rub her by tapping me with her paws. She washes her face like a cat (giving her a bit of a tearstained foot!). She lets me comb and wash her face without a peep- actually sitting very still with her eyes closed! She's always about four inches away from my left foot when I'm walking, too. I'm learning to make W I D E turns.
Xena is warming up to my daughter and INCREDIBLY good with her & my daughter is as well with Xena. It's a great thing to see! Xena is a bit slower to warm up to my husband. She'll sleep by him when he's all that's available and watches him closely. I think it's b/c he's SO much bigger than she is!

Xena is going to the vet on Thursday. She'll be getting her teeth done - they really need it! She is also getting spayed.
While we know it's better for her long term, we are all a bit worried about it. I'm more than a little worried actually. What if something happens? We're really loving having her in our family.

We're also in the gradual switching of food. Xena has been using Eukanuba, but we're mixing it with Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul. That switch is, so far, going well. Xena eats mostly at night in her crate. She's not huge on treats (her curiosity isn't lacking about what WE have though!), but I think she's just not used to them. We'll fix that!

I have to say it's so fun when I let her out of her crate in the AM- she's SOOOO happy wagging that little body, asking for pats & so darn cute! It's a great way to start the day.

Thanks so much to everyone here for all your help! Everyone has helped to make our transition smooth and positive. We hope to be here for a long time!

Deanne

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think it's so great that you adopted an older dog. I can tell you that Xena will bring you and your family SO many blessed memories. Please keep us updated on her conditions and fun episodes.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm so pleased for you! And I just loved the detail in your update. Keep 'em coming!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us. I loved reading about Xena and how well she has adapted to your home. I know what you mean about being worried about spaying. Believe me, everyone on this board worries so much when our babies are neutered. Just be sure the vet does pre-surgery blood work.

Xena is a lucky girl to have found you and your family!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
She sounds like a very sweet little lady!
Congratulations! I am glad everything is going smoothly...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Jan 24 2005, 06:18 AM
Noodle is seven years and a few months.  He has expressed interest in Xena.  If there were ever a such thing as dog pen pals, he'd be all for it.  As it is, she has a standing invitation to visit if y'all are ever in Korea.  Noodle greatly appreciates a more mature "woman"....one who is a bit more into naps and less into attacking his head (Cookie).  And yes, he is neutered.  He's looking for platonic companionship.  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31075
[/QUOTE]

ahhhhhhhhh ahahha!!!

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you have found a perfect addition to your family!!!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I'm glad to hear that she's doing well. It's hard not to be worried about the spay, but I am sure she will be fine. How did you decide on the dog food switch? And as for her teeth, does she have retained baby teeth or do they just need to be cleaned? We brush our pup's teeth every day with a finger tip brush and poultry toothpaste. She thinks it's a treat for being a good girl during brushing and grooming. We got 18 inches of snow here, and our puppy loves playing in it.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I adopted my Lady at age 4&1/2 and she is the light of my life. I couldn't love her anymore if I had gotten her as a puppy. In fact, if I had given birth to her myself I couldn't be more bonded with her!

I haven't had a puppy or kitten in 25 years. All my furkids (currently Lady and 2 Siamese cats) are rescues. For me personally there is nothing more satisfying than adopting an adult animal who has for some reason been let down by it's first owner. They can be challenging as bad habits are harder to break than the "clean slate" you have with a puppy, but by helping them overcome their issues you will be rewarded with the most incredible love and devotion in return.

I am thrilled that Xena found her way into your life!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I'm glad everything is working out! I love to hear about adoptions!

We got snow too this weekend.. which ALSO makes me glad Kodie is an inside dog..hahaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts