Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is about Timmy, he refuses to come when called (in the house only). I am hoping that someone can help me with this problem. I mentioned in my intro that I had to bottle feed Timmy because he was so tiny that the others wouldn’t allow him to eat. I don’t know if this has anything to do with the issue at hand or if it simply is his personality. Timmy does really well with training outdoors, he plays, chases, teases, fetches, and comes when called. His problem begins when he comes into the house. He acts as if he is frightened of everything and will only sit in his bed. He refuses to come when called it doesn’t matter how much bribing you do or how many yummy treats you offer him. He will not follow me around the house at all, however, if I am not in the kitchen with him, I have caught him sneaking down the hall to see where I am. The minute our eyes meet he will turn and run to his bed and wait for me to come get him. If I were to put him on a short leash an make him follow me around the house he would only become the cutest little dust mop you ever saw. When I take him to different rooms in the house to help him get used to a new room he will either hug the floor or hang on to me for dear life and shake. He will stop shaking once he has had time to settle down. His bed and feeding dish are in the Kitchen, he loves to sit in his bed until physically moved to another location. He also loves being on my bed where he seems to feel comfortable enough to be himself, you do however have to pick him up and carry him to my room. I also make it a priority to take him to as many places with me as I can, including visiting one of his brothers, he is fearful of all these things. Like I said, he acts like a normal puppy when we are outside but when in the house he is a terrified little man. Mabey he is just realy spoiled. Any suggestions???? Help!!!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
It sounds to me like he has had a fright in the house or something.
Scooby slipped on the wooden floor in hubby's computer room ages ago and now he refuses to go anywhere in the house if there isn't a mat for him to walk on. He is fine everywhere if there is carpet, but if the surface is slippery he just waits at the edge. These little guys have a great memory and if something puts them off they never forget, at least Scooby doesn't.
I think like us you are going to have a process of desensitizing Timmy and rebuilding his confidence in the house. He obviously feels safe and secure in his bed so that is where he wants to stay. Pehaps taking him to different rooms and making the experience quiet but fun for him he may come around, give him a little treat in that room so he relates that room to something nice. Maybe even leave a small treat in that room where he can see it and perhaps go get it in his own time to give him the confidence to wander around a bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Nov 3 2005, 05:00 PM
It sounds to me like he has had a fright in the house or something.
Scooby slipped on the wooden floor in hubby's computer room ages ago and now he refuses to go anywhere in the house if there isn't a mat for him to walk on. He is fine everywhere if there is carpet, but if the surface is slippery he just waits at the edge. These little guys have a great memory and if something puts them off they never forget, at least Scooby doesn't.
I think like us you are going to have a process of desensitizing Timmy and rebuilding his confidence in the house. He obviously feels safe and secure in his bed so that is where he wants to stay. Pehaps taking him to different rooms and making the experience quiet but fun for him he may come around, give him a little treat in that room so he relates that room to something nice. Maybe even leave a small treat in that room where he can see it and perhaps go get it in his own time to give him the confidence to wander around a bit.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116410
[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Your advice makes complete sense now that you brought it up. You sound like you have a lot of experience with these little guys.

When Timmy comes in from being outside he will pause at the edge of the grass where the stamped cement starts, leading to the stairs and then into the house, he will then run and hop to the door as fast as he can. Once inside he goes strait for his bed. Also when I let him down from my bed I know he will head strait down the hall and into the kitchen to his bed. My bed room is carpeted but the hallway and living room all have hard wood. He will pause for a long time at my bedroom doorway at the edge of the carpet, when he gets up enough courage he will hop onto the hardwood floor and make a mad dash to the kitchen, slipping and sliding all the way.

I tried your suggestion about leaving treats in an uncomfortable room where he could see it and venture in on his own to retrieve the treat. Last night and this morning I sat treats on the hardwood floor in the living room located next to the kitchen, he would wait until I wasn’t looking and would run and grab them. This morning he would venture over the threshold that connects the kitchen and the living room, he sat on the hardwood floor where he could see down the hallway. This is BIG! I think he wanted to know where I was, and was trying out some of his new found confidence. I will keep working with him as you suggested and will update you as to his progress.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Oh wow that is good news. I am thinking he is a lot like Scooby and doesn't like to slip and slide on the hard wood. Do you have any little drop mats you can scatter around for him to walk on? He sounds just like Scooby in that he tries to pass over the slippery surface in such a hurry that he loses his footing. Scooby does that exact same thing, he scampers so fast and the is what makes him fall over.
I am thinking that your whole problem is the wood floors, but if you can teach him to walk and not run he may master the art and get his confidence.
Keep up the good work, you are doing great

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
That's great news!

My friend's Bassett Hound did the same thing when they ripped up the carpet in their house and refinished the floors- she made sure there is a rug in each room that he can sit on, and now he will go into any room, as long as there is a rug for him to sit on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts