Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allo
My Little Sheila has allergies and I want to get her tested to find out the cause. Chances are it is food. So she is on special diet hipo-allergenic purchased at vetenerian as well as her treats wich she is not crazy about. But it does not seem to do the trick and she chew the hair on her paws and legs in front and now the back as well, try to get at the hair around her mouth she is very hitchy. Yesterday she was very itchy right above her tail and kept trying to chew her hair around her tail, when I woke up today she had chew the hair on her thigh on her right side to about 1/4 inch and ended up throwing it up about a 2 inches long roll of hair the size of my little finguer and she is licking her little but a lot as well. The vet gave me a shampoo to bathe her in every 2 weeks to stop the itch and put her on DEXAMETHASONE .05mg twice a day for 14 days and it worked for a while. But I gave her a bit of different treats twice and I gave her a couple tiny bits of fruits like plum and nectarine the size of my little finguer nail I assure you no bigger then that 'that is in the period of a month'. Well the allergie is back full streinght. As I said she chewed up the hair on the side of her thigh yesterday. I saw the vet again when the allergie started to come back about a week and a half ago and he told me to just not give her anymore treats beside the diet he put her in. I asked him if he should give her some more of those pills until I regain control of the itch and he said no that the allergie was not that severe as he has seen so much worse that her case was not that serious. So now she is chewing her hair to the skin, she is going mad with itching and I am nowhere to make her feel better. So I think the first thing to do is find myself a better vet 'one that cares' and I want to get her tested for allergies. Sheila is only a year and 4 months she has a full life ahead of her. I want her to get the most out of it and enjoy treats if possible. So if someone can tell me how much I can expect to pay for allergies testing I would realy appreciate.
Thank You. Sorry for the long desertation.
Silver
Sheila
Sabre

FurkinZ

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Have you done trials with antihistamines?

Most allergies are inhalent, but it sounds like you ruled out food allergies with a hypoallergenic diet trial anyways.

Opinions on allergy testing really vary. Some like the blood ELISA test, others the dermal test, while others like neither. If it is an option for you, a referral to a veterinary dermatologist would be ideal. Often times detecting secondary yeast or bacterial overgrowth on the skin can greatly help the symptoms. Finding the right antihistamine can make a big difference as well.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
The allergy test I had done on my lhasa was 20 years ago. At that time I paid 500 $. I would find me another vet who cares. If you think it's the food, why don't you try a home cooked diet. Start with chicken and pasta and cooked carrots and see what happens. No doggy treats. If she is ok with that, you can try other meats and vegetables. I did not say RICE on purpose because rice could be a trigger and so could corn.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Oh...the allergy ELISA runs around $300. The initial set of hyposensitization injections usually runs about as much as the test. We use Heska labs for testing and therapy. Spectrum labs is also commonly used.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
how long have u been on a food trial and did they change ur heartworm preventative too to a pill form or topical? food trials need to go on for at least 4 months to rule out a food allergy. the dermatologists here prefer the dermal skin test over the elisa. i dont know the cost though i think it is a couple hundred.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Silverstardust@Jul 30 2005, 02:06 AM
Allo
My Little Sheila has allergies and I want to get her tested to find out the cause. Chances are it is food. So she is on special diet hipo-allergenic purchased at vetenerian as well as her treats wich she is not crazy about. But it does not seem to do the trick and she chew the hair on her paws and legs in front and now the back as well, try to get at the hair around her mouth she is very hitchy. Yesterday she was very itchy right above her tail and kept trying to chew her hair around her tail, when I woke up today she had chew the hair on her thigh on her right side to about 1/4 inch and ended up throwing it up about a 2 inches long roll of hair the size of my little finguer and she is licking her little butt a lot as well. The vet gave me a shampoo to bathe her in every 2 weeks to stop the itch and put her on DEXAMETHASONE .05mg twice a day for 14 days and it worked for a while. But I gave her a bit of different treats twice and I  gave her a couple tiny bits of fruits like plum and nectarine the size of my little finguer nail I assure you no bigger then that 'that is in the period of a month'. Well the allergie is back full streinght. As I said she chewed up the hair on the side of her thigh yesterday. I saw the vet again when the allergie started to come back about a week and a half ago and he told me to just not give her anymore treats beside the diet he put her in. I asked him if he should give her some more of those pills until I regain control of the itch and he said no that the allergie was not that severe as he has seen so much worse that her case was not that serious. So now she is chewing her hair to the skin, she is going mad with itching and I am nowhere to make her feel better. So I think the first thing to do is find myself a better vet 'one that cares' and I want to get her tested for allergies. Sheila is only a year and 4 months she has a full life ahead of her. I want her to get the most out of it and enjoy treats if possible. So if someone can tell me how much I can expect to pay for allergies testing I would realy appreciate.
Thank You.  Sorry for the long desertation.
Silver
Sheila
Sabre

FurkinZ

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85936
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Silverstardust@Jul 30 2005, 02:06 AM
Allo
My Little Sheila has allergies and I want to get her tested to find out the cause. Chances are it is food. So she is on special diet hipo-allergenic purchased at vetenerian as well as her treats wich she is not crazy about. But it does not seem to do the trick and she chew the hair on her paws and legs in front and now the back as well, try to get at the hair around her mouth she is very hitchy. Yesterday she was very itchy right above her tail and kept trying to chew her hair around her tail, when I woke up today she had chew the hair on her thigh on her right side to about 1/4 inch and ended up throwing it up about a 2 inches long roll of hair the size of my little finguer and she is licking her little but a lot as well. The vet gave me a shampoo to bathe her in every 2 weeks to stop the itch and put her on DEXAMETHASONE .05mg twice a day for 14 days and it worked for a while. But I gave her a bit of different treats twice and I  gave her a couple tiny bits of fruits like plum and nectarine the size of my little finguer nail I assure you no bigger then that 'that is in the period of a month'. Well the allergie is back full streinght. As I said she chewed up the hair on the side of her thigh yesterday. I saw the vet again when the allergie started to come back about a week and a half ago and he told me to just not give her anymore treats beside the diet he put her in. I asked him if he should give her some more of those pills until I regain control of the itch and he said no that the allergie was not that severe as he has seen so much worse that her case was not that serious. So now she is chewing her hair to the skin, she is going mad with itching and I am nowhere to make her feel better. So I think the first thing to do is find myself a better vet 'one that cares' and I want to get her tested for allergies. Sheila is only a year and 4 months she has a full life ahead of her. I want her to get the most out of it and enjoy treats if possible. So if someone can tell me how much I can expect to pay for allergies testing I would realy appreciate.
Thank You.  Sorry for the long desertation.
Silver
Sheila
Sabre

FurkinZ

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85936
[/QUOTE]
THANK YOU EVERY ONE
the informations are very helpful
. I am gonna start the search for a new VET on Monday
. Actually I will be going to visit the ASPCA and ask them if they can give me a few names of good VETS
. I am on desability and of course a vet who is more after the money then the care of the animal is not the kind of vet I need wich is the feeling the vet I have right now gives me
. I definitely want to have Sheila tested for allergies I think it is the only way to go
. I don't want her going through life in agonie chewing her legs eating her fur on her body :eek: . She is only a year four months. Just a baby
. I have gotten a lot of info from all of you and I am sooo thankfull
. You guys are the best...

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
At the time they did the dermal skin test. We tried the desensitizing injections but it did not help, it got worse. My vet at the time was not recommending it but I did it anyway. He was saying I am spending the money for nothing because it does not work. Well he was right. But that was 20 years ago. Maybe there has been improvement with treatment since then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts