Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone ever re homed another pet after getting their Maltese(s)? like a larger dog for example?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Wouldn't dream of it. I've had all sorts of dogs in my home, not all that I would leave out together...but I would not feel like a responsible dog owner if I rehomed one over another. And honestly, returning a pup to a responsible breeder will have a much better outcome of rehoming than an adult large breed dog to a rescue or shelter.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Wouldn't dream of it. I've had all sorts of dogs in my home, not all that I would leave out together...but I would not feel like a responsible dog owner if I rehomed one over another. And honestly, returning a pup to a responsible breeder will have a much better outcome of rehoming than an adult large breed dog to a rescue or shelter.
:goodpost:

That would be tragic!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Um, I can't imagine rehoming a dog, but I do think most reputable breeders require people to sign an agreement stating that they will return the dog to them if they find they cannot keep it for some reason....NOT rehome it elsewhere. I know I had to agree to that, anyway. Of course, you couldn't pry Pepper out of my hands at this point. ;)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I rehomed my sheltie Molly.

I had a large sheltie named Molly from age 8 weeks. She was an awesome dog. She was beautiful was obedience trained and a wonderful pet. I also owned another older sheltie Katie ( our son had gotten divorced and we got custody of the dog)

Then we got Emma ( Maltese). Molly and Emma were best friends. Then we got Twinkle I ( Maltese) They all got along well playing , running, never a hint of hostility. In fact the only time I ever saw Molly be hostile was when I had a Maltese meet up and she stressed out with the 12 Maltese all around her.That was in March.

In the fall when Twinkle I was 1 year old Steve and I went to a Bar B Q we were gone 3 .5 hours and we came home to Twinkle being found dead. She was killed by being impaled by 1 canine tooth to the rib cage by Molly. We were not present so we don't know if it was hostile or in play. All we know is that it was devastating to our entire family.

I was distraught for days. I couldn't forget and forgive Molly. It wasn't fair to her or I. I couldn't ever love her again the way that every dog deserves. So we decided to rehome Molly.

We found a lovely home where she now lives with an Australian shepard named Samantha. They weigh the same and they love each other. The couple that adopted her take them to agility classes and she is safe and loved.

I learned a very difficult lesson ( JMM warned me too) Big dogs and little dogs have to be monitored at all times and separated if you are not present. All it takes is a sudden motion and in an instant these fragile dogs are fatally wounded. Dogs are dogs.

This was the first and only time I ever didn't keep any animal for its entie life. It was best for Molly and best for me.

We now have Mimi and Twinkle II.........

and I hope Molly has a long and happy life full of love.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Are you considering rehoming one of your pets? If so, please share the reasons why so we can try and understand and help you.

I have rehomed a Beagle (years ago before we had Maltese; She was our only dog) for aggression issues. She repeatedly started snapping at me, and one day bit my face and drew blood. We sought help from a trainer, but I honestly gave up the day she bit my face. She now lives in a wonderful home with 2 other Beagles & is doing just fine -- no issues whatsoever. I will always feel guilt for rehoming her, but she is in a better home for what her needs are.

If there were an issue between one dog and the "new" addition, and it couldn't be worked out, unfortunately the newest addition would have to go back to the breeder. Other than aggression toward eachother, I can't imagine a senario where one should be rehomed so I'm confused. Please share your concerns so we can help -- SM members are here for one another and most of us try not to pass judgement on others. :)

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I've never done it, but I know someone who did. The dog is much better off in his new home, because the new owner was willing to work with him to fix his behavior issues. He's no longer stressed, has no more allergy issues, doesn't bite people, and is a very happy boy.

Here's my take. If you believe that the dog will be happier in a different home, then do what you have to do to find it a good place. Too many people hold on to dogs when they cannot give them enough attention, training, or love, because they feel guilty, or they expect some sort of miraculous change in the situation, even though they aren't willing or able to invest the time (and perhaps money in some situations) to effect that change.

Do what is best for the dog.

·
Registered
552 Posts
In regards to rehoming, I am determined to do a lot of work to keep both my Dora and my cat Boots. Right now we seem to have found what works for us.

Right now we have a baby gate on the stairs so Dora cannot get to the cat's litter box and food upstairs (and I am worried she could fall down the hardwood stairs). Also, Dora is put up in an x-pen while we aren't at home so that she can't bother the cat when he comes downstairs. If we had one or the other it would be a lot easier but you do what you have to, and we love them both so we make it work.

If something happend such that we had to rehome somebody, it would not be fair to Boots to go to a stranger. Unless my mom took Boots (since I already know he loves her), Dora would have to be the one to go. It isn't fair to Boots, who is almost 10 years old, and cranky, for him to have to find a new home at this time in his life. Dora is a very sweet girl and as much as I would miss her, she would bounce back quickly and have no problem finding a loving home.

I would do pretty much anything to keep both of them though. :(

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've never done it, but I know someone who did. The dog is much better off in his new home, because the new owner was willing to work with him to fix his behavior issues. He's no longer stressed, has no more allergy issues, doesn't bite people, and is a very happy boy.

Here's my take. If you believe that the dog will be happier in a different home, then do what you have to do to find it a good place. Too many people hold on to dogs when they cannot give them enough attention, training, or love, because they feel guilty, or they expect some sort of miraculous change in the situation, even though they aren't willing or able to invest the time (and perhaps money in some situations) to effect that change.

Do what is best for the dog.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I rehomed my sheltie Molly.

I had a large sheltie named Molly from age 8 weeks. She was an awesome dog. She was beautiful was obedience trained and a wonderful pet. I also owned another older sheltie Katie ( our son had gotten divorced and we got custody of the dog)

Then we got Emma ( Maltese). Molly and Emma were best friends. Then we got Twinkle I ( Maltese) They all got along well playing , running, never a hint of hostility. In fact the only time I ever saw Molly be hostile was when I had a Maltese meet up and she stressed out with the 12 Maltese all around her.That was in March.

In the fall when Twinkle I was 1 year old Steve and I went to a Bar B Q we were gone 3 .5 hours and we came home to Twinkle being found dead. She was killed by being impaled by 1 canine tooth to the rib cage by Molly. We were not present so we don't know if it was hostile or in play. All we know is that it was devastating to our entire family.

I was distraught for days. I couldn't forget and forgive Molly. It wasn't fair to her or I. I couldn't ever love her again the way that every dog deserves. So we decided to rehome Molly.

We found a lovely home where she now lives with an Australian shepard named Samantha. They weigh the same and they love each other. The couple that adopted her take them to agility classes and she is safe and loved.

I learned a very difficult lesson ( JMM warned me too) Big dogs and little dogs have to be monitored at all times and separated if you are not present. All it takes is a sudden motion and in an instant these fragile dogs are fatally wounded. Dogs are dogs.

This was the first and only time I ever didn't keep any animal for its entie life. It was best for Molly and best for me.

We now have Mimi and Twinkle II.........

and I hope Molly has a long and happy life full of love.
So sad, I remember that day. :bysmilie: Such a learning experience for me. I just wish everybody who owns small and large dogs heard your story.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
To clarify, I did not mean it is wrong to rehome a dog if you are unable to care for it or are unable to treat its problems. BUT, bringing a new pup home is a choice...and I do not think it is fair for the first dog to be rehomed because someone wanted a puppy.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Oh no, I was asking just in general. I could never part with any of my pets. All because they were re homed to me or I rescued, minus Delilah of course. My kids would go ballistic and so would hubby. Anyone who knows me, my pets are with me until they go to the bridge. I did have to re home my Moms GSD and we got her when she was 8 weeks old and she was 8 when I re homed her. I felt horrible, but it was best for the dog and she is doing great!

I just ran into someone today who saw Delilah and said they wanted a Maltese, but had to get rid of their 4 yr old Lab first. I didn't know what to say to them. I just thought it kind of sad, that they felt their current baby was just disposable. KWIM?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Awww, that's sad... I hope she doesn't re-home her Lab just to get a Maltese. :(

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I had to re home my beloved Silky terrier, Lena 33 years ago...and it still haunts me. Lena was my overly spoiled fur child, but when my real child was born Lena did not take it well. She became un-house broken and nasty, even snapped at my daughter. My life was too hectic being a full time working mother to deal with the stress at the time. Needless to say as much as it hurt, I had to do what I had to do. I called a show breeder I knew at the time and she found a home in Texas. Yes, I shipped my baby all the way to Texas. I don't know if she ever came around and was happy again or not - it was too painful to find out. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Put me on the "Stinks" list...

the scenario states that the person Already Has a lab and now wants a maltese...but would rehome the lab to get it. I've always thought those who treat animals as disposable items when they are no longer fun, new, convenient, not pups...basically, any reason Other than a dire emergency (such as some of the examples stated above) as a low life trashy thing to do. Sounds harsh, but what the heck...how awful for the poor dog who gets shoved out of the way because someone has a new interest. Sad sad sad and terrible. I'll bet it's really easy for children of people who show how easy it is to just get rid of family members (which includes the pets you pledged responsibility for) when they are no longer fun or convenient to shove them in a nursing home at the earliest possible moment...kids learn by example. I would be candid enough to tell my friend that it isn't the nice or right thing to do...esp. with all animals being shuffled off to shelters these days in this economy - rescues are bursting at the seams. :( *Anyway, guess I really elaborated on 'Stinks' lol*

"You can judge a society by the way it treats its animals" -- Mahatma Ghandi

1 - 20 of 21 Posts