Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Show airs today, May 17th at 10:00 pm EST on the Animal Planet.

"Revealing the grim connection between puppy mills and pet stores, the one-hour program follows "Mike," an HSUS animal cruelty investigator, as he assumes a new identity, goes undercover with a hidden camera, and talks his way into dozens of alleged puppy mills in the Midwest suspected by The HSUS to be suppliers to Petland, a major chain of pet stores.

While exposing the heartbreaking deception behind puppy mill dogs, this second program in the Animal Planet Investigates series offers another unique opportunity to go behind the scenes with The HSUS to highlight the massive efforts involved in cracking down on an industry which perpetuates a cycle of animal cruelty."

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
They're running it three times this week. Check their listings. I have reminders for all the times so I don't miss it at least once.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Just watched it. I wish they had gone more in to the genetic problems these dogs often have also. I thought they could have done more. I'm glad they did as much as they did, but thought they could have done better.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
LOL ~ I suddenly can't find Animal Planet. Cox site said channel 72,
but that was MTV. I'm glad it's airing a few times, maybe I'll find the
channel by the next round ~ :HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just watched it. I wish they had gone more in to the genetic problems these dogs often have also. I thought they could have done more. I'm glad they did as much as they did, but thought they could have done better.
I agree. The stories they featured had happy endings, when we all know that kennel cough or giardia are nothing compared to the genetic problems puppy mills dogs can have as adults.

Still, it's the best documentary I have seen on television so far. Education is still our only hope of putting puppymills out of business. Legislation doesn't work as the retail pet industry has deep pockets to pay lobbyists to defeat proposed legislation.

The law of supply and demand is the only one that will work. When people know the truth about pet stores and puppy mills, they will stop buying from them.

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
I agree. I felt like it's the tip of the iceberg. It very lightly touched on the fact that some of these dogs die (I think just the one story of that) or lifelong (and esp. shortened lives) genetic and health problems. I also wish it didn't only focus on Petland. People uneducated on the issue (which I was at one time) could watch and say "I won't buy from Petland. I'll buy from my neighborhood pet store," not realizing their pups come from puppy mills as well. I also didn't care for the large amount of time spent on the investigator and his challenges. I would have liked more education on the issue (as mentioned above) instead of his disguise, trepidations of his job and endlessly repeating info that was already given. But in the vein of not many documentaries broadcast out there on this issue, am very thankful for any publicity on this atrocity. It was heartbreaking to watch especially more so seeing Maltese in those cages.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree. I felt like it's the tip of the iceberg. It very lightly touched on the fact that some of these dogs die (I think just the one story of that) or lifelong (and esp. shortened lives) genetic and health problems. I also wish it didn't only focus on Petland. People uneducated on the issue (which I was at one time) could watch and say "I won't buy from Petland. I'll buy from my neighborhood pet store," not realizing their pups come from puppy mills as well. I also didn't care for the large amount of time spent on the investigator and his challenges. I would have liked more education on the issue (as mentioned above) instead of his disguise, trepidations of his job and endlessly repeating info that was already given. But in the vein of not many documentaries broadcast out there on this issue, am very thankful for any publicity on this atrocity. It was heartbreaking to watch especially more so seeing Maltese in those cages.
Good point! Places like puppyfind.com are the internet version of Petland, yet too many people buy puppies from puppyfind and other internet breeders and brokers.

Still, the show was a huge step forward from the sugarcoated expose that Oprah did in 2008.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Isn't the Humane Society of the U.S. associated with PETA?

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
I wonder if they had to temper it a bit due to the lawsuit? I thought it was a bit soft on the expose end but at least they did bring attention to the issue. The puppymills they did show were not nearly as bad as some I've seen.Even though it would have been upsetting to see,they should have shown some of the really bad ones. the woman who had dogs euthanized for no good reason was hard to take...basically I watched it w/ all my puppies on my couch and hugged the stuffin's out of my babies thinking how lucky I was to have them.

Don't forget the new shelter challenge started yesterday...

·
Registered
842 Posts
Man I forgot and was at work!!! I kept meaning to look for it and set it the past 2 weeks too, ugh! I always do that. I hope it's on again, what is it called? I will search for it and DVR it...

·
Registered
847 Posts
I wish they had done more, too. It was definitely better than nothing, but I felt like it was mostly just face-value footage on the poor conditions. That is horrible, of course, but the consequences are the most important. Genetic issues, temperament problems, housetraining issues, lifelong vet bills to treat conditions that could've otherwise been prevented. I did notice that the stories all had happy endings, besides the financial burden. I'd like to see these same dogs in 3-5 years.

I also remember someone on the show saying something about not buying from large, commercial pet stores. As if any other pet store is better? I wish they had had something at the end recommending going to your local shelter or reputable, show breeder to find your next furry friend. Instead, it left all this horrible news with little suggestion as to what to do about it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes i was wanting to watch that since i seen it advertised. I stopped in the Petland store at Beckley wv and told them i seen where that was going to be aired. The worker said it wasn't true. After seeing the show last night i am not sure. It looks to me like Petland might be in some trouble, and if they got dogs from there they need shut down in my opinion. I guess keep watching to see what happens. Sad very sad!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts