Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Well I made a mistake. I had planned on having all four of my wisdom teeth removed back in June. Then the one that was hurting stopped. I let some of my family talk me out of the procedure because they said if there is nothing to fix then why let someone cut on you. Well, now, here I am, 4 months later, I've got the worst toothache I've ever had, and the oral surgeon is out on vacation for all of this week and 1/2 of next week. I went to my regular dentist yesterday, got my teeth cleaned, he rinsed the wisdom tooth that is killing me, and give me an antibiotic (pennicillan) and a pain killer, which I just refuse to take unless I'm just practically dying in pain. Anyways, I've got an appointment for a another consultation on Thursday the 20th with the surgeon. I'd really appreciate all your input on what to expect. I do know that he'll do the procedure at the hospital with me put to sleep. He told me that back in June because he said I was too full of anxiety to do it in his office. I tried to explain that anxiety wasn't the problem, I was just scared and he wasn't answering my questions to my satisfaction. So, all information, input, experiences, and advice is greatly appreciated. And YES, the only thing I am allergic to is a NEEDLE, so YES I am scared of the IV more than anything. My wife pokes fun at me over this.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Getting your wisdom teeth out isn't really that scary. I got mine out on a Wednesday morning and was back at work the next day (I was working a job during x-mas break and they were already short staffed and couldn't let me have off any longer). Make sure you follow the directions the doc gives you. You do not want to get dry sockets. My brother got those and they really hurt. I also remember getting told not to use a straw afterwards because it can cause dry shockets or something.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Oct 11 2005, 10:37 AM
Getting your wisdom teeth out isn't really that scary.  I got mine out on a Wednesday morning and was back at work the next day (I was working a job during x-mas break and they were already short staffed and couldn't let me have off any longer).  Make sure you follow the directions the doc gives you.  You do not want to get dry sockets.  My brother got those and they really hurt.  I also remember getting told not to use a straw afterwards because it can cause dry shockets or something.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108369
[/QUOTE]

Thanks!! I was amazed that you were able to return to work the very next day. I hope that I am able to do the same thing.

ANOTHER QUESTION: Where is the least painful place to have an IV put.... hand or arm??

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Well speaking from experience Scott, nowadays they usually do a local sedative in the area that the IV is going into. When I broke my shoulder and had to have surgery to repair it the pre op procedure is done ahead of the surgery and the IV is placed before you go in. I had mine in the arm just above the wrist area and I didn't feel a thing. That way when you go into theatre you are awake for about one minute and the next thing you know it is all over red rover and you are in recovery before you can say "what happened"
Don't worry you will be fine.....

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by scottchelf@Oct 11 2005, 09:20 AM
Hello!  Well I made a mistake.  I had planned on having all four of my wisdom teeth removed back in June.  Then the one that was hurting stopped.  I let some of my family talk me out of the procedure because they said if there is nothing to fix then why let someone cut on you.  Well, now, here I am, 4 months later, I've got the worst toothache I've ever had, and the oral surgeon is out on vacation for all of this week and 1/2 of next week.  I went to my regular dentist yesterday, got my teeth cleaned, he rinsed the wisdom tooth that is killing me, and give me an antibiotic (pennicillan) and a pain killer, which I just refuse to take unless I'm just practically dying in pain.  Anyways, I've got an appointment for a another consultation on Thursday the 20th with the surgeon.  I'd really appreciate all your input on what to expect.  I do know that he'll do the procedure at the hospital with me put to sleep.  He told me that back in June because he said I was too full of anxiety to do it in his office.  I tried to explain that anxiety wasn't the problem, I was just scared and he wasn't answering my questions to my satisfaction.  So, all information, input, experiences, and advice is greatly appreciated.  And YES, the only thing I am allergic to is a NEEDLE, so YES I am scared of the IV more than anything.  My wife pokes fun at me over this. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108365
[/QUOTE]

Unless your are growing "funny", it shouldn't be that bad. I had mine done in the morning and went to a relatives with my family that night for dinner.
On a silly note, I'll bet your wife is giving you a hard time about her being the one in the family to bear children and not you.
Seriously, I hope all goes well, and you can come back to us and report your fears were unfounded.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I had mine done, twice because the first time I didnt have insurance so I told him to remove only the ones that were out because I didnt want to pay for the anethesia
They left the two impacted ones so I did that later when I finally got a job and was much older. The pain was nothing but I did take the pain pills. I do not like needles either! The worst thing was that I got nauseous. Pain wasnt a problem. Lexi's mom is right about the dry sockets thing. I have heard thats awful so make sure to listen to the doc!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
You should be fine. My husband is an oral surgeon and they can make it pretty painless these days. Just make sure you do go to an oral surgeon so that you can go to sleep during the procedure. Do you know how badly impacted the teeth are? The amount of cutting that they'll have to do to remove them will largely determine how quickly you bounce back. I don't mean cutting of the gums, I mean how long are the roots and are they wrapped around bone, etc. FOLLOW the directions that they give you postop! If you are a smoker you'll have to layoff the cigs for a week or you WILL get dry sockets. Don't be afraid to take the pain meds. They have such great medications and you need to use them. It'll make the 24-48 hours postop go much smoother.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I am a RN, the worst spot I think for an IV is the hand (my pts say its a more painful spot to stick they think). A lot of times that is the spot first used so then if that vein would blow u can move on up. With my pts, I usually use the forearm. In school we had to put them in each other and I had mine in the antecubitial area (inside of the elbow at the bend of the arm), it didn't hurt but it is a bad spot for an IV because anytime the arm bends at all, the IV machine will beep because it thinks it is occluded. I have no experience with the wisdom teeth though, but good luck!!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Come on, put your BIG BOY pants on and GET ER DONE!!! The IV in the arm is a bit less painful but neither one is torture and it only takes a moment. The drugs they use now a days are great and you won't feel a thing. The pain from your toothaches have most likely been the worst part of the whole thing.

You should have your questions answered to your satisfaction but make sure your questions aren't just a way of exhibiting your anxiety. Sometimes endless questions are just another way of "putting it off" and you may somehow convince yourself that if you just keep asking questions you won't have to actually have it done.

Anticipation is always worse than the actual event so get it OVER WITH and stop dreading it. Be sure and take your pain medication after the procedure and you will do fine.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I had all four of mine taken out when I was 24. I was SCARED to death. I had never been put under anesthesia before. My surgeon gave me laughing gas first and then put the IV in. I never felt a thing. They told me I would be conscious enough to do what they told me..(ex. open or close my mouth) I don't remember anything. For all I know, they could have told me to get naked and run around like a chicken, I wouldn't know. I took the pain meds like they said, although I'm not sure I really needed them. And the meds just made me sleep, sleep, sleep. The best sleep I had in a long time. Anyway, definetely do what they say to avoid the dry sockets. I didn't get those, but I've heard they are very painful. And I do believe drinking from a straw and smoking are things that will cause this. Also, some people have bruising and swelling, but I didn't. My doc told me to make some ice packs with water and alcohol, so they are slushy, and I think those helped. Good Luck, I'm sure you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I know exactly how you feel about the needel and you have good dentist, the fact that he said he will do it in the hospital because of how you feel. My dentist gives me gas because i'm more scared of the pain from the needel then anything else.
You should take the antibiotic so the imflimation goes downs by the time you are ready for the procedure. If it is not hurting that much then you don't need the pain killers. I have had the needle in my arm and my hand . To be honest it is no pain at all compaired to the needel in the mouth they give when in the dentist office.. I would rather take the IV... anyway if they are knocking you out in the hospital you have the best procedure. you will feel nothing and rember nothing. I had it done that way in the dentist office and it was the best thing ever. Totaly painless and worry free woke up with no pain. Just take the pain killer when they tell you after the procedure and you will be fine. Wisdom teeth are easier then root canals to me anyway. If the wisdom tooth is already up they can just pull it out like a bad tooth ... painless . if not they will knock you out. You can relax now and not worry. I'm one of those people that totaly freak out too. you wil be fine..

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I just got a wisdom tooth yanked Sept 30th. Then while brushing 2 days later a little blood clot came out....I really didnt think anything of it....well, I got DRY SOCKET!!!! It's pretty much the most painful thing I've ever been through...and mind you I have given birth to two almost 9 pound kids with NO pain meds...... So, if a blood clot comes out, contact the dentist ASAP.

Besides that, the pain was nothing... the one that I got pulled was growing in funny, they just shot me up with meds and pulled 'er out. No biggie. Just don't spit, smoke, rinse or drink from a straw for 24 hours.

Good luck!! I'll be thinking of you.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
i had all four of mine done at once atlthough i only had a problem with one at the time, i wasnt put to sleep, just knocked funny with laughing gas so if your totally asleep you will be fine, the worst part i remember is him hitting that little chisel with the hammer, i couldnt feel it, but feeling your head move as he was pounding you with a hammer was a little annoying

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Oct 11 2005, 12:19 PM
Come on, put your BIG BOY pants on and GET ER DONE!!! 
that cracked me up, we all know us men are the biggest babies in the world

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
uh oh... I may be had with the straw thing.... I drink from straws, chew on straws, and sometimes I catch myself pretending that a straw is like a cigarette. The smoking issue isn't going to be a problem since I don't smoke. I do have a habit though of rubbing my tongue over my sore wisdom tooth and that produces a "clicking" sound I can hear. Reckon that is bad? Hope I don't do that and "suck" the blood clot out....GOSH that would be bad.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Carrie@Oct 11 2005, 12:58 PM
I just got a wisdom tooth yanked Sept 30th.  Then while brushing 2 days later a little blood clot came out....I really didnt think anything of it....well, I got DRY SOCKET!!!!  It's pretty much the most painful thing I've ever been through...and mind you I have given birth to two almost 9 pound kids with NO pain meds......  So, if a blood clot comes out, contact the dentist ASAP. 

Besides that, the pain was nothing... the one that I got pulled was growing in funny, they just shot me up with meds and pulled 'er out.  No biggie.  Just don't spit, smoke, rinse or drink from a straw for 24 hours.

Good luck!!  I'll be thinking of you. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108433
[/QUOTE]

I have been there... it is alfull and I was just balling my eyes out from the pain of the dry sockets. Every two days they would book me an emergency appointment jsut so they could put cotton ball in there with some medication to stop the pain. Do What ever you can to aviod this from happening. Follow all the advise they give you after the procedure.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I had all of mine taken out when I was 18 by an oral surgeon. Just use a doctor you trust and sleep through it. The put laughing gas on me, and I barely felt the needle (in the arm), and then when I woke up I was just really groggy and slept all the way home (20 miles) I was in no pain! I took my medicine as prescribed and had no problems. I ate soup for a few days, mainly as a precaucation, and they used disolvable stitches so that wasn't a problem. Good luck, look forward to a great nigths sleep.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Joe@Oct 11 2005, 12:05 PM
the worst part i remember is him hitting that little chisel with the hammer, i couldnt feel it, but feeling your head move as he was pounding you with a hammer was a little annoying
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108436
[/QUOTE]
EWWWWWWWWWWW that would be awful! :eek:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts