Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 765 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a dog with this on here?

I am beside myself as I took my dex in to internal medicine today and his blood work is showing severe renal failure.

The bun is 180, creatinine 7.6

IMS is doing ultrasound to see what is causing this as they are not sure what is the cause right now.

I am freaking out. I cannot lose my Dexter. I almost lost him 5 years ago from pancreatitis.

There are no kidney dialysis places near me ims told me if they cannot turn this around or find the cause.

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate any information on their experience with this

Dex will be 7 on January 25th.

He means the world to me :( Please pray for him. I am so scared

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry!!! I am praying hard for Dexter! I'm sorry I don't have any info for you but definitely sending lots of prayers your way.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much. I am just so devastated right now and trying to think clearly. I know he is in the best hands but i still cannot help but try to gather as much info as I can:( Once i get the ultrasound results I will consult with a nephrologist in New York to make sure I try everything. I just hope I can get the help to save him again:(

I just do not understand why this is happening. I try to do all the right things and not sure why this is happening. I feel so helpless.

I just cannot lose him :( I would do anything to help my dogs.

·
Premium Member
17,213 Posts
Thanks so much. I am just so devastated right now and trying to think clearly. I know he is in the best hands but i still cannot help but try to gather as much info as I can:( Once i get the ultrasound results I will consult with a nephrologist in New York to make sure I try everything. I just hope I can get the help to save him again:(

I just do not understand why this is happening. I try to do all the right things and not sure why this is happening. I feel so helpless.

I just cannot lose him :( I would do anything to help my dogs.
Please don't blame yourself---some dogs are more inclined toward kidney issues. Acute renal failure is reversible if treated in time. The doctor will tell you what he is doing & what you can do---I think fluids play an important part in the process & you can also do that at home if they teach you how, easily. A low protein diet will also probably be necessary. Try to stay optimistic!
Did the doctor think the earlier bout w/ pancreatitis was part of the equation. He is pretty young for AR failure.
Praying here---please keep us updated!:wub:

·
Registered
563 Posts
my heart is breaking for you, I feel the same about Kruze, I do have a suggestion, Purdue University in Indiana has a wonderful vet school, that may be a place to start, I dont know how far you are but it might be worth a call, good luck, you and Dex are in my thougts and prayers!!

·
Premium Member
17,337 Posts
Deb -- I can feel your pain and want to jump through the computer to give you a hug.

I have had a little experience with renal failure and it is one of the few genetic diseases that is prevelent in Lhasas and Shih Tzus. The Natl Lhasa club donated a lot of money for research on this in order to help wipe it out of the breed.

I had one Lhasa that did end up with renal failure -- but she was over 12 when this happened. We changed her diet and she couldn't have ANY PROTEIN at all. She lived another 2 1/2 years.

One of my close Shih Tzu breeder friends has had this happen a number of times -- usually with young adults (between 1-2) years of age. It is genetic. The few that she has had that had this have had to change their diets -- prescription diet with no or very low protein. I remember 3 that she's had with this problem. 2 did not survive more than about a year and the other lived to be in her teens.

Normally changing the food seems to be the key. And at the beginning giving fluids Sub-q is often required.

Please keep us posted on what you find out. I'm sending lots of prayers your way.

(I might have some of the research info that the Lhasa group did. I'll look when I get home. If I do, I'll scan it and email to you. )

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please don't blame yourself---some dogs are more inclined toward kidney issues. Acute renal failure is reversible if treated in time. The doctor will tell you what he is doing & what you can do---I think fluids play an important part in the process & you can also do that at home if they teach you how, easily. A low protein diet will also probably be necessary. Try to stay optimistic!
Did the doctor think the earlier bout w/ pancreatitis was part of the equation. He is pretty young for AR failure.
Praying here---please keep us updated!:wub:
he is on low protein diet of 8% now and why i am so baffled by this :( She did not seem to think the two were related. She said lepto can cause this but my dogs are on wee wee pads and are mostly in doors and no wild life in our backyard. She said tumors and kidney stones can cause this as well. They are trying to find out why his numbers are so high. The ultrasound should give the answers she thought and if not then i am going to have her xray for sure. I just need to know what caused it. He is a poop eater and she said that can cause it too which I never knew. She said some dogs are just susceptible to this.

I noticed him drinking alot and peeing alot as he goes on wee wee pads so he is never restricted. I scheduled a vet appt because of it then he got sick so rushed him in today to internal medicine as they have the spec cpli test there for pancreas and my vet does not. I am so glad i took him there instead of vet since it is so serious.

I am so sick to my stomach and have the worst headache. I just cannot believe this is happening.

On top of it all my dh lost his job last week and my parents are moving 2 1/2 hrs away who have lived right down the street from us and help us with the dogs. They retired and cannot afford to live here anymore. I feel like my life is spinning out of control right now :(

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my heart is breaking for you, I feel the same about Kruze, I do have a suggestion, Purdue University in Indiana has a wonderful vet school, that may be a place to start, I dont know how far you are but it might be worth a call, good luck, you and Dex are in my thougts and prayers!!
Thanks I am in california :( I plan to consult a nephrologist in New York once i have the ultrasound results back as I will try everything to make him better if I can. I just hope I can :(

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Deb -- I can feel your pain and want to jump through the computer to give you a hug.

I have had a little experience with renal failure and it is one of the few genetic diseases that is prevelent in Lhasas and Shih Tzus. The Natl Lhasa club donated a lot of money for research on this in order to help wipe it out of the breed.

I had one Lhasa that did end up with renal failure -- but she was over 12 when this happened. We changed her diet and she couldn't have ANY PROTEIN at all. She lived another 2 1/2 years.

One of my close Shih Tzu breeder friends has had this happen a number of times -- usually with young adults (between 1-2) years of age. It is genetic. The few that she has had that had this have had to change their diets -- prescription diet with no or very low protein. I remember 3 that she's had with this problem. 2 did not survive more than about a year and the other lived to be in her teens.

Normally changing the food seems to be the key. And at the beginning giving fluids Sub-q is often required.

Please keep us posted on what you find out. I'm sending lots of prayers your way.

(I might have some of the research info that the Lhasa group did. I'll look when I get home. If I do, I'll scan it and email to you. )
thanks so much. I called my client who is a cat doctor as cats have alot of renal issues and she is also familiar with dogs as well.

I am glad you brought this to my attention as demi is from a lhasa rescue so I will email her as well to see if she has experience with any of her rescues on this.

I just do not know what food he could eat if it is not a tumor or a kidney stone as he is on low protein for pancreas now and low fat. I have fresh water for him 3-4 times a day. I have done everything to make sure my dogs are healthy.

I feel like some how I failed him :(

·
Premium Member
17,213 Posts
Deb, where are you in Cali? Have you thought of the Vet. Hospital at Davis? It was once recommended to me for our little Bishcon/maltese mix that had cancer. I did not go there so can't speak from a personal history but I was told it is very good.
Take a deep breath sweetie----you need to be strong for your little Dex!

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Deb, where are you in Cali? Have you thought of the Vet. Hospital at Davis? It was once recommended to me for our little Bishcon/maltese mix that had cancer. I did not go there so can't speak from a personal history but I was told it is very good.
Take a deep breath sweetie----you need to be strong for your little Dex!
they are 8 hrs away from us :( or they could do the kidney dialysis

·
Premium Member
23,996 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this about Dex. I don't have any medical info to give you but am sending thoughts and prayers to you and Dex. What a rough start of the new year. These things often come in three's so hoping your luck will turn. Let us know what the ultrasound says.:grouphug:

·
Premium Member
17,213 Posts
So are you in northern Cali?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Dialysis is typically only helpful if a dog has acute real failure and the underlying cause is reversible. It is not a long term solution like it is for people. Pyelonephritis, lepto, and tick borne disease are some common causes of real failure in younger dogs. Prognosis depends on how much damage has been done.

1 - 20 of 765 Posts