Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 765 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Deb, my heart goes out to you. I can only imagine how scared and helpless you must feel at the moment. Hopefully, the doctors will be able to find out what is causing the problem and treat Dex.

I'm also sorry that your husband lost his job and that your parents are moving further away. You are enduring so much at the same time.

I will keep you and Dex in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Deb.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Dialysis is typically only helpful if a dog has acute real failure and the underlying cause is reversible. It is not a long term solution like it is for people. Pyelonephritis, lepto, and tick borne disease are some common causes of real failure in younger dogs. Prognosis depends on how much damage has been done.
thanks jmm was going to email you. I just got off the phone with them and one kidney is smaller than other indicating this is not something I could have noticed but it is chronic.

They are sending out for lepto titer, testing urine for infection but his urine is not concentrated on free catch.

They have him on fluids, famotidine, sulcrulfate, cerenia, ampicillin and baytril.

They said there are no stones and no cancer

they said with numbers this high he is at less than 25%kidney function

If he does not turn around and it is not infection then we have to talk about quality of life for him.

My head is spinning jackie so any insight to this i would appreciate :(

I really do not think this is lepto related and he has never had a tick. My dogs are indoors on wee wee pads most of the time as after i almost lost him before I became paranoid as he got sick after a walk years ago so I was so scared.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this! I have no info for you but I am sending you lots of prayers for Dex!! My heart is breaking for you. :grouphug:

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Oh sweetie,I'm so sorry,I'll keep Dex and you in my prayers.... Hopefully they can do something for his kidney function.
I know I'd be devistated to loose any of my babies.

Amber had a terrible UTI and kidney infection,it took her over two weeks before she showed real improvement, but she finally came around after she was on antibiotics and meds for function. Still took a while to be back to her old self.
Scared the BZeezus out of me. Amber was peeing little pees frequently but at first no pain,then she started to walk humped.. They thought it started from pee whicking back up the fur about the pee area...you know where it comes out at the "rosebud" as we call it. So I trim the hairs shorter now and I wipe her after peeing...just in case...

Just keep his comfortable,lots of water. Do they have a special diet for him?

I wish I could hug you and Dex right now. Keep us posted and let us know. My fluffs send lots of hugs and kissies!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
This is so sad and you are going through a very rough time but you are a wonderful and caring mom and you are doing everything right. I hope Dex recovers .

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Thanks so much. I am just so devastated right now and trying to think clearly. I know he is in the best hands but i still cannot help but try to gather as much info as I can:( Once i get the ultrasound results I will consult with a nephrologist in New York to make sure I try everything. I just hope I can get the help to save him again:(

I just do not understand why this is happening. I try to do all the right things and not sure why this is happening. I feel so helpless.

I just cannot lose him :( I would do anything to help my dogs.
Prayers are powerful and we can all pray for Dex...I am so sorry this is happening. I cannot imagine how worried you are...hang in there..sorry I am no help.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Oh sweetie,I'm so sorry,I'll keep Dex and you in my prayers.... Hopefully they can do something for his kidney function.
I know I'd be devistated to loose any of my babies.

Amber had a terrible UTI and kidney infection,it took her over two weeks before she showed real improvement, but she finally came around after she was on antibiotics and meds for function. Still took a while to be back to her old self.
Scared the BZeezus out of me. Amber was peeing little pees frequently but at first no pain,then she started to walk humped.. They thought it started from pee whicking back up the fur about the pee area...you know where it comes out at the "rosebud" as we call it. So I trim the hairs shorter now and I wipe her after peeing...just in case...

Just keep his comfortable,lots of water. Do they have a special diet for him?

I wish I could hug you and Dex right now. Keep us posted and let us know. My fluffs send lots of hugs and kissies!
thanks so much everyone. I am on k9kidneys group and they have been sending me some info. They said some dogs turnaround and not to lose hope so I am hanging on to that.

He is on iv fluids at specialty hospital so I feel he is in the best hands that he can be in right now.

I miss him tonight as he always lays his little head next to mine on the pillow at night. He is such a sweet boy. I miss him so much and the house feels so sad without him.

Demi was barking non-stop the last couple days and now she is not barking anymore. It is so wierd but I think she was trying to tell us he was really sick this time. I know it sounds odd but 5 1/2 years ago I had an animal communicator come out to help with dd and she picked up demi first and she said demi told her dex gets sick when he smells his food. At the time I was putting flaxseed one day, dermacaps the next and fish oil the next. She told me to stop doing that as dex was feeling sick. 6 mos later dex had pancreatitis and I had stopped the oils immediately when she told me. I found it odd once again she was speaking for dex by her behavior. DH and I could not figure out why she would not stop barking now we know and she has been quiet all night tonight.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Dex is now, and has always been, in my prayers.

God bless both of you. I am now praying like crazy.

Please know we love you.

Deb, Jops, Franks, LBB, Tommy, Raul, Coby, and Johnny
Thanks Deb I am just so devastated. I cannot sleep, eat or stop crying :( He is just too young. He will just be 7 years old :(

I just do not understand why this is happening as I am so careful with everything.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Thanks Deb I am just so devastated. I cannot sleep, eat or stop crying :( He is just too young. He will just be 7 years old :(

I just do not understand why this is happening as I am so careful with everything.
My heart and prayers are with you, more than you know.

Much love to you.

21 - 40 of 765 Posts