Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I told God I wanted more furbabies, this wasn't what I had in mind.
Guess where they were living? Well, yeah, in my house, but more specifically? I was on the floor doing work on my laptop and I looked over and not only were there two mice running around, and they looked like they were PLAYING AROUND
. When I realized that it was what I thought it was I freaked and woke my bf up. He thought I was hallucinating. And I dont know what made me look in my non-crusty underwear drawer, but I did and low and behold, there it was chillin' on my undies! WTH. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I pulled out all the undies and they're currently being washed now.
In the middle drawer I had lots of paper like cards and old receipts and junk so I started to throw them away. And there was a mouse in there! Like me, it was so scared it didn't move. I didn't know what to do, so I took a cup and put it over it and slid an envelope under it took it to my bf who left the room out of frustration because I woke him up so late. Let's just say he took care of it. Sorta felt bad. It really was cute.

And you know what is so BS-y about this whole ordeal? Is that I'm the only one that sees it. When my bf tries to look for it, he cant find it. Here I am, trying to stay away, and I see 2 running around! It isn't fair. I am so lame too, because I get so petrified.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,498 Posts
ewwwwwwwww :eek:

mice !!!

but then, we had a mouse in this stupid house too..
i was working in the middle of the night doing hw and then i see this thing moving across the room (my computer and desk is in the living room coz my room is too small)

and then i turn my head and see this mouse jumping and sliding under the storage door thats right next to the front door..

i screamed like heck coz i never saw a mouse in a house in my entire life !!
the thing is it might have came out of my room becoz all my roommates door were closed except my room and the bathroom....

im sure it was from my room !! yuck !!

i woke my roommates up and we started screaming and freaking out
so we opened the storage door and found all these mouse poop inside and it was so smelly !!

the werid thing is that my roommate's cat kept smelling and pawing underneath that door the whole day..very smart cat ! but i had no idea there was a mouse inside !!

so me and one roommate started to bang all the luggage bags that was inside to scare the mouse out and made barriers around the frontdoor so that the mouse couldnt get in the house but have the only way out to be out the door and outside..

we 're all screaming but no sight of mouse..the storage room is tiny tiny..the mouse is hiding behind all the bags..and then the mouse just peeks his ugly face out !!! and it was sooo scarey !!!

finally he's out and hops and finds out theres only the way out the door so he leaves..

so we cleaned the whole storage out..cleaned all the bags etc..
anyayz..i hate mice too.

im sorry u had so many..and in ur drawers too !!!!!
i hope u clean everything up and kill all the mouse germs..
and becareful of your babies too..i hope theres no germs or anything from the mice that can infect them in any way.......


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
I once lived in an old duplex that had a mouse problem. My roommate and I got these little things at Home Depot that you plug into the wall (They look almost like the air fresh things you plug in). I guess they make noise that only mice can hear and it drives them away. :new_Eyecrazy: It really worked! I am scared of traps and didn't want to put bait everywhere so these worked great!

Good luck with the mouse hunt!

Nicolle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts

Sorry-mice don't bother me TOOO bad-I mean, I don't want them...but they are better than roaches!


We had these tee-tiny mice in one of our rental houses...and we had TWO cats...anyway...we would lay in bed at night and hear them squeaking!!!

One night-I had ENOUGH! I got up and followed the squeaks and found one under my armoir---well, my Sandi cat (who is now in heaven
) went crazy chasing this itty bitty mouse. We got the video camera out and Spencer joined the chase! It was like midnight...and those cats chased that mouse around FOREVER! Sandi finally caught the poor thing, and I felt bad, b/c he was kinda cute...but I was SO tired of him getting into my cupboards!!!! We kept finding them every so often....
We don't have them that I have ever found "evidence" of in our current house...

But, do you know what is worse than mice?!

We had this family that moved out of the house across the street and it sat empty for SEVERAL months...well, finally someone bought it and started cleaning it up an;d moving stuff in...suddenly we were seeing VERY large rodents in our yard and flower bed-we finally discovered we had RATS in our yard-somewhere~


Well, one day I went out the front door and there sat one in my front flower bed!!! He didn't even move!!! He just sat there with his beady eyes and stared at me!!!! Finally when I turned and yelled for my husband to come out...he ran and went under the house!!!! That did it for me!! We went and bought that d-con stuff that kills them, but won't kill the animals that eat them or whatever...it like dehydrates them or something...then we started finding them dead everywhere!!! In our flower beds...crawling out from under the shed and house!!! I think that was even grosser!!! But, they died and we never had another problem. We finally decided that they were hanging at the house across the street and got "disturbed" when they started moving stuff.

Anyway-luckily I havenot found any nests in my panty drawer!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,615 Posts
This is just one of those things you learn in life....sorry to tell you this, but for every mouse you see, there are at least another five that you don't see. The mice are getting into your house some where....probably a crack in your foundation or through a vent pipe of some sort. First, seal off all points of entry. Home Depot sells mouse traps which contain poision (it's actually coumidin) that the mice eat and take back to their nests. They go away without you seeing them anymore. They say these baits are pet safe and child safe because the poision is inside. Just make sure that you don't put it anywhere that a dog or child could get to. If the nest is behind a wall, then you have a problem because you'll have to open up the wall. Also, don't buy the sticky traps...I've actually seen mouse feet and legs remaining with no mouse in sight. Mice can and do carry a host of different diseases and they are definitely not wanted guests. Mouse dropings are also disgusting. If you don't want to deal with traps and such, call in a professional. It's definitely worth the money. A few years ago, my brother and sister-in-law moved into a brand new house. After about three months, they had a huge mouse problem. Seems that the former farm where their house was built was mouse metropolis...and because the house was under construction, the mice came in, and made nests that were neatly covered up by the drywallers. Once the house was treated, the stench from the decomposing mice was unbearable. Entire rooms had to be redrywalled so that the remains could be removed. Their insurance didn't cover a penny, however, they were successfully able to settle with the builder because they weren't the only ones in the neighborhood with the same problem! I do not wish this on anyone....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 23 2004, 10:51 AM
This is just one of those things you learn in life....sorry to tell you this, but for every mouse you see, there are at least another five that you don't see.  The mice are getting into your house some where....probably a crack in your foundation or through a vent pipe of some sort.  First, seal off all points of entry.  Home Depot sells mouse traps which contain poision (it's actually coumidin) that the mice eat and take back to their nests.  They go away without you seeing them anymore.  They say these baits are pet safe and child safe because the poision is inside.  Just make sure that you don't put it anywhere that a dog or child could get to.  If the nest is behind a wall, then you have a problem because you'll have to open up the wall. Also, don't buy the sticky traps...I've actually seen mouse feet and legs remaining with no mouse in sight.  Mice can and do carry a host of different diseases and they are definitely not wanted guests.  Mouse dropings are also disgusting.  If you don't want to deal with traps and such, call in a professional.  It's definitely worth the money.  A few years ago, my brother and sister-in-law moved into a brand new house.  After about three months, they had a huge mouse problem.  Seems that the former farm where their house was built was mouse metropolis...and because the house was under construction, the mice came in, and made nests that were neatly covered up by the drywallers.  Once the house was treated, the stench from the decomposing mice was unbearable.  Entire rooms had to be redrywalled so that the remains could be removed.  Their insurance didn't cover a penny, however, they were successfully able to settle with the builder because they weren't the only ones in the neighborhood with the same problem!  I do not wish this on anyone....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18110
[/QUOTE]

:new_Eyecrazy: What an awful ordeal!!!!!!!! Blech!!!! (WHERE IS THAT PUKEY FACE?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
UUUGGHHH!!!
Mice are so scary!
My sister once rented an apartment and every once in a while she'd find a BAT in her dome ceiling light fixtures! She said they were huge, and would come in from the piping in the walls outside and get up in the ceiling, come down into the dome light covers that are fixed to the ceiling and flap around in there and look scary!
UGH!
I ended up renting in the same apt. complex, but never once saw a bat.
They were very nice apartments, though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
I think I may have the topper....

One night when I was in 8th grade my mom and I heard these awefule squeels that sounded like they were coming from the basement... then this scratching...then sort of a fall... Being the curious people we are we went downstairs to look and there were 3 baby racoons in our basement (mind you the basement was finished off, and the house was only 12 years old). These rodents are FEROCIOUS! They were squeeling and hissing and so scared... not to mention they smelled or urine so bad...
Well my mom and I weren't about to do anything so we freaking out and ran upstairs to get away from the little hellions. My dad was out of town and my older brother was just ask scared as us (ha, we never let him live that down) so my uncle came over with a few traps...however he had to "take care" of one.
We thought that was the worst experience ever, so my dad took all necessary measures to make sure it couldn't happen again... well it did, but worse. There was another litter in the ceiling of the basement and this is going to sound REAL bad...so brace yourselves... he had us all leave the house and he had to shoot the things...they were all foaming at the mouths and stuff, so really that was the only thing he could do. NICE HUH? :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Nov 23 2004, 11:19 AM
I think I may have the topper....

One night when I was in 8th grade my mom and I heard these awefule squeels that sounded like they were coming from the basement... then this scratching...then sort of a fall... Being the curious people we are we went downstairs to look and there were 3 baby racoons in our basement (mind you the basement was finished off, and the house was only 12 years old). These rodents are FEROCIOUS! They were squeeling and hissing and so scared... not to mention they smelled or urine so bad...
Well my mom and I weren't about to do anything so we freaking out and ran upstairs to get away from the little hellions. My dad was out of town and my older brother was just ask scared as us (ha, we never let him live that down) so my uncle came over with a few traps...however he had to "take care" of one.
We thought that was the worst experience ever, so my dad took all necessary measures to make sure it couldn't happen again... well it did, but worse. There was another litter in the ceiling of the basement and this is going to sound REAL bad...so brace yourselves... he had us all leave the house and he had to shoot the things...they were all foaming at the mouths and stuff, so really that was the only thing he could do.  NICE HUH?  :eek: 
 
 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18117
[/QUOTE]

What a "pick-me-up" story!
Just kidding! That IS awful!!!! The foaming at the mouth thing would be scary-although my Spencer cat does that some when I try to give him a pill b/c he is SO mad!


Lucky that you didn't get bitten or anything!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
We used to have squirrels live in the attic of my parents house. They were forocious. They ate through the siding and through the metal vent covers. They would hiss at us from the trees. My dad had to board all of the opens up and basically starve the ones that were trapped. They ones that were left outside got really nasty. It was too the point that we were scared to go outside. We tried trapping them and taking them out into the country but they were back with in a few days. The city wouldn't do anything so my dad and a friend of his came home at lunch one day with beebee (sp?) guns and shot the squirrels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bf killed about 3 and claimed there was no more. I said WHATEVER, you wish. I proved him wrong last night!
I don't want to do the poison thing because I don't want the smell of rat death in my house. I think they came from the garage. We use to keep our babies' food there and I use to see poop all around it.
I use to live in apt. and I was so depressed about it that I never cleaned up and I never saw roaches or anything. Then we moved in a house, and I've been doing pretty well keeping the house clean, but they still came.
All of your stories are really bad. If them mice hissed at me or were foaming at the mouth, I don't know what I'd do. I surely wouldn't put no cup over them. I'd run like a sissy.

Nicolle916--Did it seriously work? My bf wanted to buy it, and I thought it was a joke. hehe

Kodie--In a house in TN. My neighbor never told me he ever had mice issues. I'll talk to him about it later.

Tlunn--I hate roaches too. When I was younger, I was so scared, I couldn't even kill it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Tlunn--I hate roaches too. When I was younger, I was so scared, I couldn't even kill it.[/B]
When hubby and I were first married, we lived in a duplex with the NASTY people next door. The duplex was fairly new-but the neighbors and the people prior to us were nasty! Anyway, back then I kept an immaculate house! You could eat off my floors and probably my toilet seat...
(that was PRE -kids!) Anyway, I knew we had seen a few roaches here and there, but in crazy places like the bathroom-
not the kitchen-so I just attributed it to the neighbors overflow. I put out roach bait and all and only saw one here and there. THEN.....

one night I got up out of bed to get a drink of water-an hour or so after we had turned out the living room lights and gone to bed. I walked into the kitchen and flipped on the light and hundredsof nasty roaches went scurrying!
I screamed and then sat down and cried in my now feeling not-so-clean kitchen floor! We were too poor to call an exterminator-so I went to the store the next day and got this gel crap that looked like liquid brown sugar and put it all around my baseboards, under my stove and fridge, along the tops of my cabinet cracks etc. I did several "middle of the night checks" and they finally started to disappear! That stuff was a life saver! They were supposed to be drawn to it b/c of the sweet stuff and then carry the poison back to the nest. It worked-I think it was by Raid. Anyway-I was relieved they were gone! Now we are on a quarterly spray by the pest control people. This helps with spiders, ants, and other pests. My grandmother said even the cleanest houses can get roaches b/c we often bring them home with us in boxes and stuff from the grocery stores-
Isn't that lovely!? Anyway, there are few pests that gross me out-but roaches are one of them! I would rather have a whole clan of nasty little mice in my corners than 1 roach!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Nov 23 2004, 01:33 PM
Okay since we are all sharing, here are my TWO stories about rodents. 

When hubby and I first moved into this house, it had sat vacant for 7 years, so we started cleaning and remodeling about a year before we got married.  So as we were dragging stuff out to the dumpster, we see mouse droppings.  So trying to be the humanitarians that I think we are, we go to the store to buy some humane mouse traps; they catch the mouse and then you can release back out into the wild.  So we set up the traps in the house and forgot to come back and check on them.  EWWWWWW!  About a week later we remembered--hubby wouldn't even let me see--he said it was just too gross cause they had sh*t and vomited inside the trap.  So I guess we weren't the humanitarians that I thought we were. 


Okay, then after we had been married about 6 months and living in the house, we had a terrible storm with really high winds.  No damage to the house, or so we thought.  So one night we are sleeping in bed and I hear this scratching coming from the roof area.  I wake up hubby and he was like, "I don't hear it," and goes back to sleep. 
  So every night for several weeks I am listening to something scratching in the roof/attic area--hubby never hears it.  Then, at that time, hubby was working 2nd shift, so at night, I would hear something outside and was always freaking out that someone was trying to break into the house.  Well, one night he wakes ME up and is like, "There's something in the attic!"  DUH!!!!!  So he it tapping on the attic door and it takes off running.  So it is like 3 am and we are standing outside looking for this thing.  Hubby says it is in the eaves of the house.  So we are out there with a flashlight and he hits the eaves really hard and whatever this thing was just p*ssed right down the side of the house.  So next day, he goes and rents a trap to catch it in, puts it in the attic and closes the door, a while later, we hear it snap shut.  We opened the door and it was a mother raccoon and two babies.  The wind storm had blown off the attic vent and they were climbing up down spout for the gutters (we later saw foot prints all over it), getting on the roof and then climbing down into the attic.  So after we released them several miles from our home (Those things beat us home and were back in the attic by the time we got home--it was a long and exhausting night) hubby and Dad had to recover the vent. 


Now we refer to the attic as the "Creature Feature"
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18154
[/QUOTE]


awwww-the mommy and her babies wanting to come back to your attic is kinda sweet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by tlunn@Nov 23 2004, 12:47 PM
one night I got up out of bed to get a drink of water-an hour or so after we had turned out the living room lights and gone to bed.  I walked into the kitchen and flipped on the light and hundredsof nasty roaches went scurrying!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18158
[/QUOTE]

That is exactly why I'm so afraid of roaches. I was so traumatized. Pretty much the same thing happen to me as you!. And my mom IS like you--a clean machine. My parents used all kinds of stuff to get rid of them. One time, my dad used those roach bomb thingys. Do you know what I'm talking about? Anyway, I came home from school and I looked up on the ceiling and I saw a HUGE B*#$&. ewwwww.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Nov 23 2004, 12:27 PM
Nicolle916--Did it seriously work?  My bf wanted to buy it, and I thought it was a joke. hehe
They worked for us! We actually had the landlord pay for them so I don't know how much they cost. We had one in every room downstairs (kitchen, dining, living) but only one upstairs. It was an old house that was built off the ground but had been renivated about a year before we moved in. My dad told me they drive the mice crazy and thats way the have to leave
....I don't know if that is true but it kept them away. We were there for 2 years and didn't have a problem after the first month. I did not have pets at the time but you might want to double check that it won't hurt your dog's ears just in case they can hear it...i'm sure the package or internet can provide that info.

Hope that helps!
Nicolle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Nicolle916+Nov 23 2004, 01:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ButterCloudandNoriko
@Nov 23 2004, 12:27 PM


Nicolle916--Did it seriously work?  My bf wanted to buy it, and I thought it was a joke. hehe
They worked for us! We actually had the landlord pay for them so I don't know how much they cost. We had one in every room downstairs (kitchen, dining, living) but only one upstairs. It was an old house that was built off the ground but had been renivated about a year before we moved in. My dad told me they drive the mice crazy and thats way the have to leave
....I don't know if that is true but it kept them away. We were there for 2 years and didn't have a problem after the first month. I did not have pets at the time but you might want to double check that it won't hurt your dog's ears just in case they can hear it...i'm sure the package or internet can provide that info.

Hope that helps!
Nicolle
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18174
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. My bf has been doing the research. They're only like 6-7 bucks at home depot. Thanks for the quick response too! I want them out of my house and far away from my undies!!!!!!!!
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top