Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I brought home a rescue Maltese-cotón tulear mix.

She’ll stay with Belle and me till her forever family is fixed (the shelter is currently reviewing 2 families). Within a week or fortnight they should have a family.

She gets along very well with Belle, but she’s scared of me. When I give Belle a treat, I have to leave her treat on the floor. When I cuddle Belle, she’ll come and cautiously look at us but if I try to call her she’ll run and hide. I can see that she wants love, but she’s scared.

I’ve tried to show her that it’s okay to sit on the sofa (as Belle sits with me) but she’ll stay on the floor and look at us with sad eyes.

The only time she’ll let me touch her is when I leash her to take her for a walk (and she’s mostly scared during the walk). In fact, today I had to take Belle off her leash just so I could control Erath. Belle surprisingly was a very good girl and listened to her mommy, but Erath was terrified and kept on pulling me in different directions with her tail tucked between her legs.

Does anyone here have any experience with rescues? Have you brought home a rescue whilst having your baby at home? How can I make her realize that she’ll be loved like my baby?

She’s not aggressive at all, she even submitted to my eight month old Maltese whose quarter her size. But her tail is constantly between her legs, there’s no happiness, just fear.

Should I try to connect with her? Or should I let her be and give the forever family the opportunity to bond with her?

Side note: she really listens to Belle. When she came home she wouldn’t stop crying, I let her be. Half an hour later Belle barked at her and she sort of stopped crying...

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
I really don't have any suggestions but just reading your post brought tears to my eyes. It's so sad to hear of her being so scared. I wonder what she's been through before this :cry:.
I wonder if maybe if you just quietly sat on the floor and just let her curiosity bring her to you on her own and then once she gets close to you just softly tell her what a good girl she is but don't try touching her yet. Maybe this would work?????

·
Registered
1 Posts
How long have you had her? I adopted my dog from an owner which I'm assuming was a nice family. They took really good care of her but she was scared of EVERYTHING when we got her, even noises outside startled her. We bought her a crate and she pretty much stayed in that all day. That fourth day she was like a whole new dog. That was the first time we actually heard her bark. I honestly got worried and thought something was wrong with her. I'd say just give her some time and let her get used to her new surroundings. Good Luck with everything, I hope she becomes more comfortable soon.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Do you have any information on her previous life? If not, assume she may have been mistreated badly. You will have to work hard to gain her trust. Don't try to "push" her, let her accept you at her own pace. Start with placing a treat on the floor in front of her and then back away. After she starts taking treats confidently, you can put it on the floor and see if she'll come to the treat with you standing there. Then try holding the treat in your hand, etc.

Search for information online about how to gain a dog's trust and how to rebuild the confidence of a rescue dog. There's a wealth of information that will help you prepare her for her forever family. Thank you for doing this!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I would let her be. I do have experience with many rescues. You may feel like she's being left out and not getting the love she deserves, but she will absolutely come around when she's ready. Go very slowly. You can talk to her and drop treats. I think she'll surprise you with how quickly she opens up, but do let it be on her terms. And thank you for fostering :)

Reactions: Buddy2000

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have woken up to a lovely Sunday morning.

She’s been with me for about a week today, I’ve noticed that it takes her a while to calm down in company but she tends to be less scared around women. I’m assuming that her previous owner was a man, I was told that she had a broken leg and a head injury that had healed itself leaving a bump.

So what makes this morning so lovely?
I woke up to the usual licks all over my face, it’s the Belle and mommy good morning love session ritual. I was mollycoddling Belle when I felt a tentative lick on my hand. I carried on petting Belle with one hand and slowly extended my other arm to pet Erath, she melted into my hand and scooted closer till her wet nose was near my neck.

She’s spent the day randomly coming to me whining and crying and looking for cuddles. She even climbed on my legs when I was making lunch, the way Belle does when she wants attention or wants to be picked up.

I was informed yesterday that her forever family is a young couple with four kids and they will be taking her some time next week. I’m just so happy that she has come to realize that not every touch hurts.

She is still a little weary of sudden movement or loud sounds but I’m glad that she got to spend time with us.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I'm no expert when it comes to fostering but I'm wondering if placing her with a family with four children is a wise choice for her at this time. Seems like you are just making a breakthrough with her and she's starting to trust for maybe the first time in her life. Just a thought.......

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Glad to hear Erath is responding to your love and patience in getting him to come out of his shell of protection. I too am wondering if it is too soon for him to get uprooted from your home and placed in such an active, and probably noisy environment. Can he stay with you a bit longer? Is there some way you can meet the new family and have them spend time with Erath before they adopt him?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could keep her longer... and maybe let the family visit every other day and spend time with her for a week or two before taking her. The shelter gave me both options informing me that some foster parents prefer sending the pet to the forever home so the pet doesn’t get attached to them.

I know that four kids sounds like a lot of energy but she’s only a little over an year herself. Obviously they’d have to exercise a lot of discipline on their kids and the baby to make sure that Erath can become a part of the family at her own pace.

I don’t think I’m allowed to decide who she’d go to but maybe I can observe their interaction with her and give some tips over the course of a couple of weeks... I’ll talk to the shelter tomorrow and see what they say. It’s my first time playing foster mom, thank you all for your insight! I immensely appreciate all the help I’ve gotten.

·
Premium Member
24,012 Posts
Thank you so much for fostering Belle. It's your work with her that will start a bright future. I'm the VP of American Maltese Association Rescue and deal with a lot of surrenders, fosters and adopted dogs. Our policy with Maltese or Maltese mixes is that we don't adopt them out to family with children under 10 unless the family had a toy breed dog as the children were growing up. These dogs are fragile and children can unintentionally harm them by picking up and dropping them or stepping on them. Most troubling is that children who are very young need to be taught to give the dog space and respect that. I worry if the children are very young and the number of them. I fostered a Maltese last year who came from a house with 4 young children. He ha been okay with the two oldest but the 2 year old petrified him. I think he would grab at her, pull her hair, stomp loudly around her, scream, (they are kids) pick her up and drop her. And they had a baby in addition to the older 2. Gucci would stay huddled in her crate all day long to avoid the boy. The mom gave her up but big damage was done. The can be so loving but will turn around and attack if you touch her the wrong way or spot.I ended up adopting her myself because I worried she could really hurt someone and her life could be in jeopardy if she bit badly enough. Given what you wrote about Belle and her fears I truly worry about a family like this who may well not have any experience but think it's a cute dog for their kids. Maltese are not toys. I would rather see her with someone who is in their 40's with another dog to show Belle the way like your dog has. I know you aren't able to choose their adopters but please if you see any signs of the kids being too boisterous, it's a warning signal...for Belle's sake to let the shelter know given her fearful behavior. They would likely be better off with a bigger more durable dog. These are the kinds of dogs in particular I wish went into rescue not shelters.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I'm no expert when it comes to fostering but I'm wondering if placing her with a family with four children is a wise choice for her at this time. Seems like you are just making a breakthrough with her and she's starting to trust for maybe the first time in her life. Just a thought.......
Oh, I wish that wasn't happening. I had a little breeder foster that was just like you were describing. It will take time and patience for her to come around and learn to trust again. I don't think having children around will be helpful at all. In fact, I think it will be totally detrimental to her well being. I am literally sitting here crying, so very worried about Belle. I know my Tilly would not have made it in an environment that was loud and active. I can't imagine a new dog going into a home with children without the children wanting to be all over the new dog, holding and loving it, "forcing" themselves on her. Not in a mean way, but in an excited way. Where are you?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Oh, I wish that wasn't happening. I am literally sitting here crying, so very worried about Belle.
I feel the same way! Maltese should not be in homes with young children, in most cases :( There are so many other breeds that are more suitable, like golden retrievers and standard poodles.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
We have woken up to a lovely Sunday morning.

She’s been with me for about a week today, I’ve noticed that it takes her a while to calm down in company but she tends to be less scared around women. I’m assuming that her previous owner was a man, I was told that she had a broken leg and a head injury that had healed itself leaving a bump.

So what makes this morning so lovely?
I woke up to the usual licks all over my face, it’s the Belle and mommy good morning love session ritual. I was mollycoddling Belle when I felt a tentative lick on my hand. I carried on petting Belle with one hand and slowly extended my other arm to pet Erath, she melted into my hand and scooted closer till her wet nose was near my neck.

She’s spent the day randomly coming to me whining and crying and looking for cuddles. She even climbed on my legs when I was making lunch, the way Belle does when she wants attention or wants to be picked up.

I was informed yesterday that her forever family is a young couple with four kids and they will be taking her some time next week. I’m just so happy that she has come to realize that not every touch hurts.

She is still a little weary of sudden movement or loud sounds but I’m glad that she got to spend time with us.
>he’s spent the day randomly coming to me whining and crying and looking for cuddles. She even climbed on my legs when I was making lunch, the way Belle does when she wants attention or wants to be picked up.<<
That is so beautiful!!! You're wonderful to take in this foster. You've given him a great start for his new family!

Hugs and Wags,
Lainie and Whispy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all,

I’m sorry for taking so long to give you all an update. I’ll be starting a kitchen renovation soon so I sort of got caught up choosing things.

Someone asked where I am at the moment, I am currently in Andorra. It’s a small country between Spain and France.

Let me start by saying that Erath did not go to the family in the end. She was terrified of them so I ended up keeping her a few more days.

Side note: the shelter did not know that they had 2 five year olds, a toddler and a preteen. They’d imagined that all the kids were teenagers. Anyhow after the meet where Belle basked in the attention and Erath hid behind me, we all agreed that it was not a good match.

As luck would have it, towards the end of that week both girls were window shopping with me when an older lady approached us.

She bent down to pet them and started cooing sweet nothings in English. I smiled and introduced myself, needless to say we ended up chatting for a bit. I was pleasantly surprised at Erath approaching her.

Long story short, Erath has found her new mommy. The lady, Catherine, is an English lady who retired and moved to Andorra after losing her husband.

And well, Belle was a very good foster sister but she’s happy to being the center of her mommy’s universe again.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
THRILLED to hear this update! So wonderful <3

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
It was meant to be - Awesome how things work out!
Very happy for Erath and his new mommy. Thank you for the wonderful update.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I, too, am thrilled to hear that Erath has found her new home. Sounds like the perfect match!

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
I am so happy to hear she didn't go to the home with children and went with an older lady instead. It sounds like the perfect home for her.

·
Premium Member
24,012 Posts
What terrific news!!!! So glad that everything worked out so well. Meant to be for sure. Thank you for giving that sweetheart such a great foster experience and for finding a perfect fit for her. Both the woman and Erath's lucky day. Thank you for coming here too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts