Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my rescue amish pup for six weeks now. She is not the dog I originally went for, I was going for a special needs Yorkie, but my teenage son picked her up and wouldn't let her go. She was 4 pounds and had a cherry eye, worms, and thin matted hair that was heavily tear stained.
She is now 5 months old and 6.4 pounds. I had the vet fix the eye and deworm, cut her hair short, put her on blue buffalo puppy to hopefully have her coat thicken. It looks alot better now. I tried yogurt, am using the new ineffective angel eyes but I just cut off the stained hair. Any ideas on fixing her coat/tear stain issues? Is blue buffalo the food to use. I'm thinking she will probably be close to 8 pounds?
She's a happy, playful girl who loves to play catch and snuggle with my 3 year old shih tzu who is 9 pounds and it's a perfect match.

·
Premium Member
17,197 Posts
:Welcome 3:

It sounds like you are a person we are all going to like! Rescue is big here in SM & it seems you are doing a great job already. Welcome Aboard! Your son must have a good eye for pups.

My Lisi had bad tear stains until all of her teeth came in. Some pups have to have their tear ducts flushed. I use an eye cleaner on Lisi still from Bausch & Lomb---not in the eye just around it. I also put an antihistamine from B & L called Alaway in her eyes often---she has a lot of allergies & rubs her nose on the sheets a lot due to the itchiness & this seems to help her---just one drop a day. I believe in finding the cause rather than just treating the symptoms.

Others here will chime in w/their ideas of what works. It is mostly trial & error in finding the culprit that causes the issue. It can take a while to clear up even when you know the cause & find a treatment. Do be patient.

I look forward to hearing more about your babies.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,107 Posts
Thank you for rescuing this pup! Blue isn't exactly one of my favorite foods - lots of chemicals and grains in most of their blends. Kibble isn't preferred for toy breeds either because our little guys don't drink enough water to properly digest the extruded kibble. And since extrusion destroys nutrients, well, the manufacturers have to add in more chemicals.

If you absolutely must use kibble for convenience, try Fromm or Zignature. They are better dry foods. Some of the "lightly processed" foods that are dehydrated or freeze dried are better options.

I know your new baby is in for a wonderful life with you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tear Stains

I agree with Sandi. Be patient. When I rescued my Jeep his coat was a mess and one eye had a horrible stain. He has a bad case of tapeworms too. But after using stainless steel water and food bowls with only Spring water he looked like a new dog. Just give it time.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stainless steel or glass bowls are best. Use distilled water for drinking. I agree Blue B is highly processed. Research a better food with more vitamin and micro nutrient content.
Change foods slowly. 90 % to 10 and so on for 6 to 8 weeks. I have fostered many worm infested puppies. The worms take nutrients that promote health and good coat. So for a while I supplement with salmon oil and make sure food is good vitamin mix. I massage once worms gone to stimulate skin and blood flow. I have turned some sad little things into princesses and seen them happy and loved in forever homes. Good for you! Time and love.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A really high quality food is expensive but you feed less because no fillers, chemicals, preservatives etc. Freeze dried etc. Happy Hunting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts