Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello SM,

Porky's ultrasound confirmed there is a new tumor mass concentrated at his anal gland, and look like it is small and has not spread further other important organs. The tumor mass is still small so the doctor's advise at this time is to hold of on surgery for this issue.

The bigger issue is the MRI revealed a pretty large mass neard C4 section of his spinal cord and confirmed it is the tumor cells regrowing at a much more accelerated rate than they anticipated. They also said they saw something that may look like regrowth at C6 section which is the area of the recent second surgery where the tumor cells were removed. The overall assessment is look like from the 1st incident in 2019 where Porky undergo the first surgery, 2 years later the second procedure, and now just less than a year, seem like the tumor cells are returning at a much faster rates. They also predicted that even if Porky undergo the 3rd time to remove the new mass, it may come back faster like in several months but they stated it's hard to know exactly what will happen. They also said looking at the trend where the first tumor cells started at upper neck area, then the 2nd one slighty below that area, and now the 3rd one is also lower than the 2nd area that likely the tumor cells are spreading downward along the spinal cord. LSU also stated that they don't recommend Porky to undergo anymore radiation therapy even if we did pursue the 3rd surgey.

AND to complicates matter Porky's penis has been leaking some gooey stuff and we are not sure what that is yet. We do recalled 1-2 years earlier when he used to have an erection that we saw a small white looking mass build up at the top tip of the penis and we think that is what causing the gooey materials to leak out of his penis. LSU couldn't figure out what it is yet so we have an appointment with his normal Vet at VCA Dr. Gentinetta so we'll ask him to see if he can conduct any testing.

AND now his rear-right paw now has what look like lump growing similar to the one we removed surgically many years ago when Porky was young.

Ann and I are stil weighing out the options but likely we like to consult with the Neurologist Teams at Mississippi State, the same team that did the 1st and 2nd surgery procedures to see if we should pursue the 3rd. We are asking LSU to forward today's findings to MSU and will have to wait to see when MSU can schedule us in on their calendar.

Please pray for our Porky as he now has some really rough roads ahead but his Mommy and Daddy will right there with out boy.

· Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,335 Posts
Oh Weh! My heart is heavy w/you tonight, guys! He has been through so much---as have you! There are just no words to reach into this kind of pain. Hugs to both of you & to PC & Emma.

· Registered
3,898 Posts
I just read the most recent post regarding Porky's prognosis and my heart is breaking!! Along with the others who have already posted, I want to add my Prayers as well. I hope that Porky isn't suffering and I know just how hard this is on all of you in your family.

· Registered
428 Posts
Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear this about baby porky. What a good boy he is. I am sorry that you all are going through this and so glad he has you every step of the way.I am sorry he has these tumors. Bless you All. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for you and your little one!

· Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you to everyone for your hugs and prayers for Porky! LSU have forward the MRI result to MSU so we are now waiting to be contacted to schedule a consultant visit. Here are some additional technical data on yesterday tests

Diagnosis/ Problems Identified
1. Meningioma, grade 2/atypical, C2-3
  • Surgically excised (right-sided hemilaminectomy) 12/20/2019
  • Regrowth noted 2/17/2020, definitive RT completed 4/2020 (2.5 Gy x 20, M-F)
  • Regrowth noted 2/14/2022, 2nd surgery on 3/29/2022 (C2-3)
  • Stereotactic radiation therapy (8 Gy x 3 daily) on C2-3 and C6 completed on 5/11/2022

2. Mass on left caudal C6 (2/14/2022 on MRI), suspect meningioma- Stereotactic Rt (8Gyx3) completed 5/11/2022
3. Mass on right ventral C4 (1/11/2023 on MRI), suspect meningioma
4. Myxomatous mitral valve (moderate) and tricuspid valve (mild) disease, stage B1
5. Pulmonary hypertension
6. Left-sided apocrine gland anal sac adenocarcinoma (FNA cytology 12/12/2022)

· Premium Member
18,335 Posts
Yikes! So many things to contend w/for little PC. . . . praying for wisdom & strength as you move forward!

· Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our poor rascal started to have diarrhea around Friday's morning and still having symptoms to today. He came home from Wed's MRI/Ultrasound fine, but starting Friday morning his poop stated to be very mushy then became more liquid. We're not sure what's causing this but Ann did changed over to a new canned food, but Ann thinks the culprit is more due to side affect from the anesthesia. What do you give your pups when they have darrhea? We been trying to feed Porky steamed Jasmine rice with bits/pieces of his dehydrated turkey treats.

I took Porky to see his regular Vet Dr. Gentinetta today and he did prescibed a medical pill that supposedly will help with the diarrhea so we'll see in the next 1-2 days.

Dr. Gentinnetta also take a closer look at Porky's penis and thinks it could be a viral infection of which he flushed the inside and applied some medical treatment so we're crossing our fingers that he's right and this issue will soon be dealt with.

· Premium Member
18,335 Posts
Kitzel also came home from 24 hrs in the ER w/diarrhea which was difficult to get rid of. Since PC has special issues I would let the vet try to treat it first. Somewhere in m posting about taking K to ER Hospital is the info that Jackie gave me that really helped. I ordered 2 boxes off Amazon & keep it at home now. Flagyl in liquid form also helped but it did take a while. Poor little guy.

• Helpful
Reactions: vinhle68

· Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The med Dr. Gentinetta prescribed is "Pro Pectalin Anti-Diarrhea Tab", and we are giving 1/2 tablet every 8hrs. He's on his 3rd dose so far but it has yet to shown any signs of stopping the diarrhea, but we are continuing the doses as instructed.

Today I also brought some organic chicken breasts to boiled up and try to feed PC with steam rice, and also Ann found some online tips that giving small portion of fresh organic pumpkins may also helped so we're going to give it a shot as well.

· Premium Member
18,335 Posts
That is a good binder! All good ideas!

· Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so it turns out Dr. Gentinetta believe what Porky got may have been Colitis causing the diarrhea symptoms and he prescribed Metronidazole to tackle the problem. Emmie also started to diarrhea exactly as Porky lol poor girl. Anyhow, we got both kids started on the meds a few days back and the last two days no more diarrhea so we are very happy for both kids.

In two week we are making the trip to Mississippi State University - Animal Medical Center to consult with their neurologist and to perform another MRI to look at Porky's brain area, and the spinal cord area so they can determine if the problem can be tackle via a 3rd round of surgery on the boy. If timing permits they may be able to look at the tumor at the anal gland socket as well. We'll sure keep everyone updated and we are planning to spend the entire week of Feb 06 through the 10th up there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts