Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do people insist on using retractable leashes when in public settings, in large groups of people, and in stores? They don't think to lock it on a short setting...EVER.:( And then the dogs are getting tangled around displays, furniture, people's legs, other dogs leashes, knocking things over, etc...:smpullhair:

And the owner in turn gets so stressed that they can't wait to leave because the dog is too much to control. When asked why I don't carry retractable leashes, I tell them why. And it makes some people mad. Others think I'm an idiot and don't know anything.:innocent: So I'm not about to give someone unsolicited advice on how to control their dogs in my store or other public settings.

Just venting.:blush:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Oh no! It always amazes me how many inconsiderate people are out there. :blink: I'm sorry that they just happened to be in your store causing a stressful ruccus. :angry: They must be the reason so many stores aren't pet friendly. lol Other than the food issue..

I was just walking in the park the other day and walked past a lady walking her yorkie. She had it on a leash attached to the collar and I'm not sure how that little thing was able to keep going. It kept gasping for air and making these awful raspy noises. I don't know how she didn't think, "maybe I should invest in a harness." I just hope it's little trachea doesn't collapse. :(

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I am so tired of having dogs on retractable leashes lunge at me, wrap themselves around my legs, etc.

I think they are fine if you want to go on a walking trail where there is a leash law, but they shouldn't be used in public.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Crystal, can you put a polite sign in the window saying something like "Please keep your dog near and dear to you ... rectractable leashes must be locked at a 4-ft length while shopping for your furry friend."

My vet has a huge sign over the reception desk "All dogs must be leashed and by your side at all times. No unlocked retractable leashes."

·
Registered
236 Posts
me too!

I can't tell you how many times I have almost tripped over these inappropriately long leashes strung across the sidewalks of NYC. They are really a public menace! Queso have a nice normal leash and she gets plenty
of freedom to roam.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I hate them, too.
Me three! They actually teach the dog bad manners. They should be used exactly the same as other long training leads. In other words, not in public and only when you are training or working you dog. Locking isn't good enough, many times the "locks" wear out.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
My dog UNfriendly county actually passed a law against them. It basically says ALL dogs must be on a 6 foot leash, unless in the dog parks.

Before somebody asks, Pinellas county Florida. Think Clearwater

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I don't like them either!!! My daughter uses them for her two Bostons and when you walk them it is not a good thing unless you use the lock!! She doesn't and I do~~~

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I don't like them either ... however having said that, I have one each for pups ... I don't use them often, but they came in handy when we moved and the fences weren't quite finished ... H & D could still sniff around the back yard with a little bit of freedom, and I didn't have to try & be in 2 places at once!! lol I DONT use them in public places tho, ever.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Yikes, I don't like those things either. I would like my pet close enough to me that I could rescue her if needed.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
We have one but we only use it at the beach or on trails. If there are others around he gets locked in place. Plus, we usually carry his regular 4 or 6 foot leash as well, for just in cases!

Our leash is 10feet but so many are longer (like 24 feet) and that really causes problems!!

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Uh-Oh. I do use retracable leashes, but I also know how to use the locking mechanism on them. I like to let Angel have the freedom to roam a little when it doesn't mess with me or anyone else. But, if we are around others, and sometime just because, I will lock her down to a short leash.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I also use my retractable the most of all of Toby's leashes, HOWEVER, I would never NOT lock it. Geez, that just seems like common sense to me. Oh wait! Most people don't have that! :innocent:

It amazes me what people do with their dogs. I never let Toby walk on the floor of a pet store--I don't know what other people's dogs have brought in and I want Toby in my sight so that he doesn't get into something or get hurt. Furthermore, I have a little thing called RESPECT for a store's merchandise!

Crystal, being a store owner, I am sure you have seen it all! :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Wow I have them and I lock them when necessary. I haven't really encountered problems with other owner/dogs not locking them.

I also don't let my daughter who doesn't know how to lock them use them..she has to use the short leashes which I also have a multitude of just in case I need them.

There is however, an article in Bella Dog Magazine about what a menace they are.....

·
Super Moderator
10,176 Posts
Our trainer actually knows of dogs and people who have gotten injured by the retractable leashes when they wrapped around the humans arms or legs or the dogs legs and cut the person/dog. Crystal, you might want to warn the people who think you're crazy that they can cause injury as well.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Our trainer actually knows of dogs and people who have gotten injured by the retractable leashes when they wrapped around the humans arms or legs or the dogs legs and cut the person/dog. Crystal, you might want to warn the people who think you're crazy that they can cause injury as well.
They can also injure your pet... I don't use one after we had a bad incident with our first malts knee... we were walking along as usual when something caught his attention and he took off after it (still not sure what it was). I didn't drop the leash, but he raced out so fast that he hit the end of the line with a hard snap and it forced him to pivot back on one leg, wrenching his knee badly. I felt so awful about it...we took him to the vet right away and he was put on anti-inflammatories and pain killers and basically rested/not allowed to move much for several days. We were SO LUCKY nothing tore. Won't ever use one again and that was probably 20 years ago.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Well I am one of the bad ones. We have a retractable leash and we had it for years. I love it because when nobody is around I can give him the freedom to room around. But if somebody comes close to us, I will put him on a tight range. We also have it hooked up to a harness that does not bother his throat. We never had a problem with it. But we are careful and when people are around we never let the leash go all the way. We control the leash. I think if people have a problem with them it's their own fault. We use the retractable leash the same way as we would use a normal leash.
we were walking along as usual when something caught his attention and he took off after it (still not sure what it was). I didn't drop the leash, but he raced out so fast that he hit the end of the line with a hard snap and it forced him to pivot back on one leg, wrenching his knee badly.
This would have happen even with a normal leash. A leash is a leash, it does not matter the lenght.
Our trainer actually knows of dogs and people who have gotten injured by the retractable leashes when they wrapped around the humans arms or legs or the dogs legs and cut the person/dog.
That is not the fault of the leash, it's the fault of the owners not using it properly. Again this can happen with other leashes. Does not need to be a retractable one. But it is easier to blame the leash.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I tried using it once and didn't care for it. I cannot see how one would think it appropriate for inside a store.:huh:

Why do people insist on using retractable leashes when in public settings, in large groups of people, and in stores? They don't think to lock it on a short setting...EVER.:( And then the dogs are getting tangled around displays, furniture, people's legs, other dogs leashes, knocking things over, etc...:smpullhair:

And the owner in turn gets so stressed that they can't wait to leave because the dog is too much to control. When asked why I don't carry retractable leashes, I tell them why. And it makes some people mad. Others think I'm an idiot and don't know anything.:innocent: So I'm not about to give someone unsolicited advice on how to control their dogs in my store or other public settings.

Just venting.:blush:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
This would have happen even with a normal leash. A leash is a leash, it does not matter the lenght.

I don't think it would have...a normal length leash wouldn't have given him a running start which created the jolty stop. A normal length leash is easier to maintain control over.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts