Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my maltese for 3 years now. Since i work 3 twelve hour shifts, i trained my girl to potty on towels. She's been absolutely great the whole time. But last week, i brought her to the groomer for the first time. Ever since then, she's been peeing on the carpet. She seems to avoid the bathroom now to use the towel. I wonder if her paw pads are sore against the slippery floor or something. I have no other explanation for it. Now i feel that i have to retrain her as if she wasn't housebroken. Has anyone ever experienced that?:confused:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
First you need to take her to the vet. Inappropriate urination is one of the most common signs of a urinary tract infection.
If there is no physical cause then you just go back to housetraining 101. Treat her like a new puppy. Stressful events can cause a lapse in housetraining. A few weeks of strict review will have her back on track.
Please see your vet FIRST. A urinary tract infection left untreated can become very serious and get into the kidneys. Its important to rule this out before we assume the lapse is behavioral.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts