Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use reusable pee pads? We currently buy the disposable pads, but they are pricey and horrible for the environment. I’m thinking of getting either an electric portable tiny washing machine, or possibly an off the grid style manual tiny washing machine. Since I’m actually allergic to dogs (crazy, right? Lol🤓), I’d love to be able to wash their belly bands and pads in their own little machine. If you use the reusable pads, I’d love to hear where you got them or how you made them. Was it hard to transition your pup from using the disposable kind to the reusable style?

·
Premium Member
9,496 Posts
Been using them forever; I think some of mine are 8 years old. You can use incontinence matress pads from a medical supply store on Amazon. I have pee pads, these matress pads, and in a pinch some disposables. Neither Luck or Casper care about which I use. I wash them in my washer, very hot water with borax, a peroxide as well as detergent and they come out great. I line dry mine except in winter. The matress liners really hold up. Casper is a leg lifter so I have his angled so they go up the lip of the shower. You will go through a lot and they are balky so you will need a couple of loads a week.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
I too use the medical grade mattress liner pads that hospitals use. Mine are as old as Abella (almost 8 years old) and are still going strong. I bought them off of eBay used from a company that buys them from hospitals and at that time offered free shipping which was nice as the pads are pretty heavy. I love how absorbent they are Abellas paws don't get pee stained and the pads are backed with a heavy waterproof liner. I bought a large amount of pads so I can wash them only when I have a full load about once a week (we have water rationing here). I wash with detergent, very hot water, and I use bleach. They come out beautiful and still look brand new. I cut one pad into fourths and zig-zagged the edges. That way they fit perfect into Abellas "pee pad holder". I also cut some into half and use these under her pee pad holder. That way if Abella uses the edge and the moisture travels the bottom liner keeps everything completely dry. The under pad only gets changed when I do a load of wash as it stays pretty dry and clean. Abella is a girl so she squats - If you have a leg lifter you probably want to leave the pads larger. Since Abella has been using these on her small pee pad holder her entire life she is used to staying on her small pad holder that has a raised edge. Once when I traveled I bought the disposable pads and hated them. I now bring my washable pads with me when I go places.

I keep Abellas Pee Pad Cabana in my lean to greenhouse - she has a small doggie door to access it. I made a stripped cabana cover to keep any condensation from the glass from dripping on her. The photo below shows her setup. Note the bells by the door. She rings these before going out so I can tie up her skirt! LOL!
IMG_2472.JPG

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
We have a few dozen pads that are reusable but my Lis likes disposable so mainly I use those. I have 2 extra large pads that I put underneath, in the event she goes on the edge & I wash those in washing machine on hot. Lisi will not go on a "used" pad so I clean up all poop & put a Trader Joes white thick napkin on any pee spots---or cut up a pad that she refuses to use but has "life" still, & use this on the disposable. She is very finicky!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts