Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow morning Rex has a hair appointment. We are letting his hair grow out so no puppy cuts here! Last time they trimmed the bridge of his nose, cut his bangs and did his sanitary areas. This time I know to tell them not to touch those dear bangs which arent quite long enough to all stay in his ponytail well, but almost. Is the bridge of the nose supposed to be trimmed?
I was reading in a Maltese book that I have that maltese have no undercoat. I was assuming that ment the outside of the hair grows long still. Does this mean that there chest hair is short too along with their sanitary area? If so how short?
Thank in advance!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Most dogs have 2 coats, a softer undercoat and a harsher outter coat. The Maltese has a single coat like human hair, no soft undercoat and no harsh outter coat.

I don't trim the hair on the bridge of the nose. I will trim a little right in the corner of the eyes on some dogs. It is your preference.

I leave the chest hair long. When the coat gets down to the floor, I usually trim all of the coat, including the chest, to just above the floor so the dog doesn't trip on it and it stays a little neater.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 30 2005, 09:41 PM
Most dogs have 2 coats, a softer undercoat and a harsher outter coat. The Maltese has a single coat like human hair, no soft undercoat and no harsh outter coat.

I don't trim the hair on the bridge of the nose. I will trim a little right in the corner of the eyes on some dogs. It is your preference.

I leave the chest hair long. When the coat gets down to the floor, I usually trim all of the coat, including the chest, to just above the floor so the dog doesn't trip on it and it stays a little neater.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76747
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I was wondering about that. They need to make all books assuming a dummy is reading the book and that is why they are reading! I think I will let the hair on the bridge of his nose grow out as well!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am now thinking about getting Rex a puppy cut tomorrow? I really wanted to let his hair grow long, I love that look, but he is so hot here and I think he is getting his adult hair in, causing him to mat a lot. I brush him three times a day now and I am still having a hard time keeping the mats out. Should I do it?

I am going through this board trying to find pictures of your babies with puppy cuts and for once I am having a hard time! Is there a website that I would be able to print out a good picture to show the groomer? Or do most groomers just know what I would be talking about. I want to keep his pony, ears and tail long.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I had the same question with both the boys. Peanut has cottony hair, so short is the way to go with him, otherwise he becomes a walking mat
But, Tic's hair is so silky and perfect that I wanted to try to grow it out. It's just been so hot and the boys have been sleeping directly in front of the AC vents, so I just cut them both down. They do seem a lot more comfy and it's a time saver when it comes to brushing and bath time. Their hair grows so fast though, in a couple of weeks you wouldn't even realize that the boys had a hair cut. If Rex is matting so badly now, I would say go for it. After his hair changes it'll be a lot easier on the both of you. Their hair just grows so fast that by the time you get use to the short cut his hair will be growing back.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jul 2 2005, 10:03 AM
I had the same question with both the boys.  Peanut has cottony hair, so short is the way to go with him, otherwise he becomes a walking mat
  But, Tic's hair is so silky and perfect that I wanted to try to grow it out.  It's just been so hot and the boys have been sleeping directly in front of the AC vents, so I just cut them both down.  They do seem a lot more comfy and it's a time saver when it comes to brushing and bath time.  Their hair grows so fast though, in a couple of weeks you wouldn't even realize that the boys had a hair cut.  If Rex is matting so badly now, I would say go for it.  After his hair changes it'll be a lot easier on the both of you.  Their hair just grows so fast that by the time you get use to the short cut his hair will be growing back.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77170
[/QUOTE]

Rex is doing the same thing, our a/c registers are flat on the floor and he lays right on top of them! He wasnt matting at all for the first few weeks we had him then all the sudden in the last week or two it has become a huge chore keeping the knots brushed out of him. He doesnt like when I sit there and work out his mats either!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
aww, that's what made me chop the hair...the poor guy couldn't stand me picking apart all the mats
If you get it cut now, by winter he'll have a good length coat and hopefully the matting will stop too. Good luck with what you decide! Don't forget to post the pics

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Yep, we all have an obseesion with baby pictures! I want to grow Angels hair long, but its going to take a lot of brushing! She didn't seem to mind brushing when we did it at the breeders though, hopefully she will stay that way!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rex is at the groomers now and I feel sick over it. His mats have just been getting worse and worse and despite my brushing him 3 or more times a day, he rolls around and scratches and he is going to have to get more cut than I had hoped. His hip hair is matted near the skin and it is also his cottony puppy hair, that is why it is matting so bad and we are going to have to go pretty short to get rid of all the mats. He is wierd now he has half silky hair and hiss butt is a cottony, probably about bald now. I didnt brush him as well this morning before we left as I should of, he is just getting to the point when he sees the brush in my hand he runs. I know it will be better for both of us. I dont want to have to torture poor little Rex anymore. He will probably be under 5 pounds when I get him back with all the hair he is going to lose. The debate was weather to keep his pony or not, but we went with keeping it. She said sometimes it looks a little goofy just having the long hair on the head, but the head hair is the slowest to grow. His appointment was at 11 and usually it takes 3 hours, may be longer today since they are giving him a big hair cut. Well, back to waiting for my phone to ring for them to say he is finished. I will post pictures when we are done.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rex is naked! They had to cut more than I thought. He looks so tiny, he is half the dog I dropped off. :new_Eyecrazy:
He is acting all wierd, rubbing up against things more than normal and running around crazy. I will post pictures as soon as I get them uploaded.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried to upload the picture to my album, but it came back saying this image not allowed. I need to get some stuff done. I will try to figure out another way to post the photo.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am starting to get used to it. Rex is running around wild! I was a little embarassed to walk him outside
Luckilly no one noticed! By days end though, he is the same loveable Rex!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom@Jul 3 2005, 01:59 PM
I tried to upload the picture to my album, but it came back saying this image not allowed.  I need to get some stuff done.  I will try to figure out another way to post the photo.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77570
[/QUOTE]
That happened to me too, its really weird sometimes, after awhile it worked though and I see it worked for you too

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I had to come back and read this post after seeing your picture in another thread.

Did they cut him that short b/c of his matts?

It is REALLY short...you can really tell on his legs. He still looks adorable...even though it kinda looks funny at first with the longer head/face hair, I am glad you didn't have them cut that shorter. He has a precious face!
Give him hugs and kisses! Tell him he still looks handsome! He probably feels better if he could tell ya!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.