Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This boy is driving me nuts! He has more toys than any dog should have. He has plenty of chew things, yet he wants to chew up his collars. He has chewed through 4 collars, all the nylon type. I put them on him snuggly, tight enough that you wouldnt think he could get them, but not to where it will choke him or bother him. Well, he gets to them, somehow. We got him a leather one with bones on it for his birthday and went ahead and gave it to him yesterday because he needed it (collar #5). After I put it on him he went and layed down, so I pulled out my knitting stuff and within 10 minutes he comes to me and had chewed the collar in half. I wish he didnt have to wear one, but he needs all those darn tags, city tag, rabie tag, i.d. tag and I need something to connect his leash to. That little rascal is driving me crazy and I continue to waste money on collars. He hates them! Somehow Rex has me so wrapped around his paw I cant get mad at him. My husband said maybe we are going to have to get one of those metal chain looking collars until Rex gets past this. I think those will make his hair grey though, as have a few cheap collars that I have got for him that he chewed up as well. Rex doesnt chew on anything else really, so I dont know if this would be a chewing problem? He just needs a sturdier collar. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
841 Posts
OMG Summer does the same thing , she would rather chew on her collar than a toy.. We've gone thur 2 $40.00 ones well you could say we don't but those anymore
as a matter of fact we have to buy a new one today.. I keep a small bell on Summer's maybe thats what she likes
who knows

Hey had ! lets buy one collar for them to wear and the other one for a chew toy

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I can solve the problem easily - don't use a collar!

Seriously, collapsing tracheas are a problem in Maltese and to prevent them, you should never use a collar. Here is an excellent article I have posted before:

http://www.toybreeds.com/health.htm

Another danger with wearing a collar all the time is that it can get caught on something and the dog can hang. We just had a poster here whose dog's collar got caught in one of the air vents and if I recall, the dog died. There was a story on another forum recently where a dog got his harness caught in his exercise pen and was hung.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Aug 30 2005, 10:35 AM

Seriously, collapsing tracheas are a problem in Maltese and to prevent them, you should never use a collar. Here is an excellent article I have posted before:

Another danger with wearing a collar all the time is that it can get caught on something and the dog can hang. We just had a poster here whose dog's collar got caught in one of the air vents and if I recall, the dog died. There was a story on another forum recently where a dog got his harness caught in his exercise pen and was hung.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95342
[/QUOTE]

Sorry but he can chew up the harness as well. I bought a leather harness for chester 40.00 my fault for leaving it on him while he was in the house but I figured since we are going out in a bit why take it off. Well that was it ... Yep chewed in half as well 40.00 bucks down the drain. I did get an other one becuase they are so easy to put on him but now i don't leave it on him for even 5 min when he is in the home. He only has it one when we go outside. Chelsey has one too, really cute in red.

Harness

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Yeah, they can just as easily chew a harness and a harness is just as dangerous as far as getting caught on things goes.

I have a couple of those step-in harnesses which are so easy to get on and off for Lady. If she must wear her ID (she also needs her medical alert tag) on a collar, I use a breakaway collar for cats.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey+Aug 30 2005, 09:50 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Aug 30 2005, 10:35 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95342
Sorry but he can chew up the harness as well. I bought a leather harness for chester 40.00 my fault for leaving it on him while he was in the house but I figured since we are going out in a bit why take it off. Well that was it ... Yep chewed in half as well 40.00 bucks down the drain. I did get an other one becuase they are so easy to put on him but now i don't leave it on him for even 5 min when he is in the home. He only has it one when we go outside. Chelsey has one too, really cute in red.

harness
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95356
[/B][/QUOTE]
When I click on that link it brings up a microsoft page

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Have you thought about spraying the collar or harness with Bitter Apple? Bitter Apple worked like a charm for my beagle who went through a chewing phase.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am glad Rex isnt the only one chewing his collar, not that I am glad that Summer chews hers, but at least we are in the same boat, misery loves company. I would love it if Rex didnt have to wear a collar, but I dont want to get a fine for him not having his liscense on and I need something for him to connect his leash to. It seems he can get to a harness even easier than the collar to chew on. I thought about knitting him collars to save money and the yarn would make an excellent floss! Sometimes I think all the chew toys we have gotten him have just sharpened his teeth for chewing his collars! I cant believe how fast he can bite through them. That itch spray I got for Rex had bitrex in it, after awhile it got to where it didnt phase him so I am not sure if the bitter apple would work or not.
How old is summer? Is she young too, I am wondering if they will grow out of it?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Ah, the chew monsters. Harley chews on everything, which is so new to me because Bella won't chew on anything. Recently, Harley has decided that the window ledge is her own personal chew toy, so we have to put things in front of it. Then again, she believes she's a mountain goat, so that may not work forever

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom@Aug 30 2005, 09:37 AM
I am glad Rex isnt the only one chewing his collar, not that I am glad that Summer chews hers, but at least we are in the same boat, misery loves company.  I would love it if Rex didnt have to wear a collar, but I dont want to get a fine for him not having his liscense on and I need something for him to connect his leash to. It seems he can get to a harness even easier than the collar to chew on.  I thought about knitting him collars to save money and the yarn would make an excellent floss! Sometimes I think all the chew toys we have gotten him have just sharpened his teeth for chewing his collars!  I cant believe how fast he can bite through them.  That itch spray I got for Rex had bitrex in it, after awhile it got to where it didnt phase him so I am not sure if the bitter apple would work or not.
How old is summer?  Is she young too, I am wondering if they will grow out of it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95405
[/QUOTE]

Summer will be 9mos. on the 2nd.. I don't know she's loved to chew on hers for ever I buy the lite wieght ones.. I know everyone says don't use the collars , but I do it for two reasons one she has a tiny bell on hers so we can hear her ( after the broken leg I don't want to take any chances) and I think if she was ever to get out of the back yard she would have her Id tag with our phoneand name.. I aways take it off at night and sometimes during the day if I'm gone and she's in her area

·
Registered
161 Posts
I imagine your furbaby is still a baby and perhaps cutting his teeth. Maggie was such a chewer before all her adult teeth came in but now, the only thing she halfway pretends to chew is her toys and that really isn't chewing, it's more playing. Be patient...I really believe this, too, will pass, as your "baby" becomes an adult.

I'm hoping the attachment of Maggie and our son's Boston Terrier, Dixie, is attached. They are true buddies. Maggie enjoys occasional weekend visits from Dixie but sometimes Dixie can be too "overjoyed" when playing with Maggie and we have to separate them! LOL

·
Registered
161 Posts
I imagine your furbaby is still a baby and perhaps cutting his teeth. Maggie was such a chewer before all her adult teeth came in but now, the only thing she halfway pretends to chew is her toys and that really isn't chewing, it's more playing. Be patient...I really believe this, too, will pass, as your "baby" becomes an adult.

I'm hoping the attachment of Maggie and our son's Boston Terrier, Dixie, is attached. They are true buddies. Maggie enjoys occasional weekend visits from Dixie but sometimes Dixie can be too "overjoyed" when playing with Maggie and we have to separate them! LOL

·
Registered
161 Posts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts