Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I know I have been gone awhile. Summer has been so busy! Anyway on to my question...Despite Rex's flea treatment, he got bit by one on his leg at his knee. It started out a bump and then he chewed until it bled. After it scabbed, he started chewing it again. It has been a week and he keeps reopening the scab and causing it to bleed again. We have tried bandaging him up with gauze and then taping it like a cast and he just chews that off. I have also given him plenty of other things to chew on other than his leg and nothing is working. What can I do to get him to stop long enough for this sore to heal?

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
You could try dabbing some eucalyptus oil around the wound, or some citronella oil – this is something my vet recommended I do to stop Harley licking his wound as he will HATE the taste of it. I haven’t tried it yet though as he seems to be getting used to the collar & I will try & leave it on for one more day to let the stitches do their job.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I probably sound like a broken record but get him a BiteNot collar. It will save your sanity. BiteNot Web Site

If your baby is on the small size such as less than 7 pounds I would get the cat version.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have a cat that had a broken leg...cast on his front leg. This cat got very smart about getting the cast off. We put everything we could think of on that cast and nothing stopped him. Finally we got a bitenot collar. Worked most of the time until he learned to put the cast under the couch and get it stuck and then pulled his leg out. Good luck it can be very frustrating trying to "reason" with these babies.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Laceys mom@Aug 15 2005, 07:30 PM
I have a cat that had a broken leg...cast on his front leg.  This cat got very smart about getting the cast off.  We put everything we could think of on that cast and nothing stopped him.  Finally we got a bitenot collar.  Worked most of the time until he learned to put the cast under the couch and get it stuck and then pulled his leg out.  Good luck it can be very frustrating trying to "reason" with these babies.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=90800
[/QUOTE]

OMG!!! What a smart cat!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
do u have n e prednisone? with flea allergies..that bite is gonna itch for 3 weeks

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
First I would see the vet to be sure there is not a secondary bacterial infection making things worse. They can also prescribe a short course of oral steroids or a single injection of steroids to help reduce the itch. A topical cream may also help.

An e-collar or bite not collar is the best way to stop him from itching it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far today he seems to be leaving it alone. The scab is gone this morning and nothing left but a pink spot, not to say he wont make something there. He is a picker! When I washed him last week, I found a single dead flea on him. That is why I think it was the flea that bit him before it died. I guess Advantix isnt 100%. Anyway thanks for all the tips, I sure hope this doesnt happen again!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
***UPDATE***
About the time Rex's sore had healed up, he chewed into it and it scabbed again. Today I got Bio-Groom Anti-Itch Spray and it is marvelous! It taste bitter (yes I sprayed my hand and tried it) and it numbs as well, while it heals. Rex did try to lick it a few times and then shook his head, like "yuck!" and now he is totally leaving it alone!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yay! glad u found something that works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts