Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
He's a cutie!

Looking down the page to the show dogs for sale - when someone buys a show dog are they expected to show the dog, or do some people buy one and just keep it as a pet? Just curious.....

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Nov 21 2005, 01:58 PM
He's a cutie!

Looking down the page to the show dogs for sale - when someone buys a show dog are they expected to show the dog, or do some people buy one and just keep it as a pet?  Just curious.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121775
[/QUOTE]

Most show breeders will not allow a "pet person" to buy a show quality puppy. Normally what the breeders sell is their show prospects that have had their bites go off or for whatever they do not meet the specs for being in the ring. It could be as simple as personality. Every once in a while you will find a breeder who wants to mentor you and will sell a show puppy. Sassy's is show quality and her breeder wanted to mentor me, but I told her right up front that unless Sassy really loved the ring I would not complete her. Long story short, I showed Sassy one time and in that show she took a Best in Breed and a 1st Place. After the show I looked at the pictures and when I saw that precious little face I knew immediately that that was it. I looked at that little face and her eyes said it all, "mommy is this what YOU want me to do?" I promised her on the car ride home that she never had to do that again. She is my champion regardless. Okay I'm sorry, let me get down off of my soapbox
and get back to your question. Most show dogs are not sold to pet homes unless there is a feature that will keep that puppy out of the ring or from finishing. Just my experience and knowledge of how to play the game. :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Nov 21 2005, 03:57 PM
After the show I looked at the pictures and when I saw that precious little face I knew immediately that that was it. I looked at that little face and her eyes said it all, "mommy is this what YOU want me to do?" I promised her on the car ride home that she never had to do that again. She is my champion regardless. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121898
[/QUOTE]

Oh, what a sweet story.... you are such a good mommy!!!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy+Nov 21 2005, 02:57 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-msmagnolia
@Nov 21 2005, 01:58 PM
He's a cutie!

Looking down the page to the show dogs for sale - when someone buys a show dog are they expected to show the dog, or do some people buy one and just keep it as a pet?  Just curious.....
Most show breeders will not allow a "pet person" to buy a show quality puppy. Normally what the breeders sell is their show prospects that have had their bites go off or for whatever they do not meet the specs for being in the ring. It could be as simple as personality. Every once in a while you will find a breeder who wants to mentor you and will sell a show puppy. Sassy's is show quality and her breeder wanted to mentor me, but I told her right up front that unless Sassy really loved the ring I would not complete her. Long story short, I showed Sassy one time and in that show she took a Best in Breed and a 1st Place. After the show I looked at the pictures and when I saw that precious little face I knew immediately that that was it. I looked at that little face and her eyes said it all, "mommy is this what YOU want me to do?" I promised her on the car ride home that she never had to do that again. She is my champion regardless. Okay I'm sorry, let me get down off of my soapbox
and get back to your question. Most show dogs are not sold to pet homes unless there is a feature that will keep that puppy out of the ring or from finishing. Just my experience and knowledge of how to play the game. :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121898
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, my Sassy was being held for show and her bite went off. That's why we didn't get her until she was nearly 6 mos. old. I just figured that some people would want the "perfect" maltese and would be willing to pay for it. I guess they would also want the dog finished before buying it though. The whole system is very interesting and still seems somewhat mysterious to me. I have no interest in showing, but am fascinated by it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Darling little boy.
If someone is truly interested they better contact Tonia quickly to see if your home might be a fit. The top show breeders Maltese go very fast so are usually not available very long.

~carole and bella~

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia+Nov 21 2005, 03:34 PM-->
Originally posted by Sassy's [email protected] 21 2005, 02:57 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-msmagnolia
@Nov 21 2005, 01:58 PM
He's a cutie!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121898

[/QUOTE]

Yes, my Sassy was being held for show and her bite went off. That's why we didn't get her until she was nearly 6 mos. old. I just figured that some people would want the "perfect" maltese and would be willing to pay for it. I guess they would also want the dog finished before buying it though. The whole system is very interesting and still seems somewhat mysterious to me. I have no interest in showing, but am fascinated by it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121948
[/B][/QUOTE]

Ditto...nothing in my lifetime has ever fascinated me as much as Maltese and the Show World of Maltese.
I just wish I had found Maltese earlier in my life....then I might be adventuresome enough to step into that world. I sure do like learning about it though.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Nov 21 2005, 04:52 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Sassy's mommy
@Nov 21 2005, 03:57 PM
After the show I looked at the pictures and when I saw that precious little face I knew immediately that that was it. I looked at that little face and her eyes said it all, "mommy is this what YOU want me to do?" I promised her on the car ride home that she never had to do that again. She is my champion regardless. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121898
Oh, what a sweet story.... you are such a good mommy!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121936
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, sweet story. Sassy is really lucky to have you as a mommy!!! And she surely deserves that kind of treatment, she is an angel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts