Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I haven't been on the site for awhile as I had no laptop where I was staying for the last several weeks. Sorry....i really missed it.

Fonzie had his herniated disc surgery on august 14th. He's been slowly recovering, altho it's hard to keep him from running, using the stairs and jumping up/down on the couch. BUT we do our best. He has now started PT and acupuncture both will help him get back to himself. I did go see the vet the other day because he seemed to be trembling at times during the day. I was worried he was in pain (or cold or nervous or ?) Doc prescribed Rimadyl since it is an anti-inflamatory med. He also can have Tramadol. BUT with all I have read about Rimadyl AND with Fonzie only having one kidney , I am a bit reluctant to give it to him. He's had it for 2 1/2 days (6.25 mg twice a day) and is to take it for a total of 2 weeks. I don't want him to be uncomfortable but I read that there can be kidney problems with Rimadyl plus many other side effects. Has anyone else been thru something like this ? :confused: Thanks !

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Not with a small dog. My Aussie had severe spine problems as he aged, I'd heard all the bad things about Rimadyl, gave it to him anyway. Didn't do a thing for him. Nothing. Deramax was his wonder drug, kept him going for almost 2more years.

RIP. Vulfie my boy. 5-14-95/9-11-09

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Boo took it for about a week when he was about a yr old & sprained his leg. He did fine. But he was a young pup & wasn't missing a kidney. Recently he had to have 2 seperate surgeries on his kness & both surgeons wanted to prescribe Rimadyl but I refused it & asked for Metacam instead because I'd heard & read negative things about it.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The issue here is Tramadol does nothing for inflammation. Your vet is trying to address inflammation. Metacam, deramaxx, etc. can all be contraindicated with kidney problems. You need to discuss your individual dog with your vet. This is not something that can be answered online. The other option of steroids is not ideal either. Talk to your vet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts