Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Without a Trace last night on CBS I think, and the news was doing one of those teasers to get you to stay up and watch them. Their news isn't on till 11 but they were talking about a "popular" dog medication being dangerous and they showed this cute black dog stumbling and shaking all over, not being able to walk. I was so sad for him. So John and I stayed up to watch the news and see what this was all about. Turns out it is Rimadyl and I remember our vet giving us a bottle when he saw Fantasia’s x-ray of her back. It says 25 mg give ¼ tablet (already cut up for us) every 12 hours for 10 days. I remember I only gave her 2-3 (this was last year) and stopped because I didn’t think she needed it anymore. I am glad I stopped! So to all you vets and vet techs out there, what’s the deal with this medication? I heard on the news that this only happens to (I forget the exact number) a very few and not even enough for them to pull this drug. But if that one few was my dog I would be outraged so Fantasia will never take this stuff again. I am thinking of flushing the rest (is that safe) of the pills and keeping the bottle so I remember not to give her it again.
PLEASE someone give your input!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady's been on both Rimadyl and Deramaxx for her arthritis. I have heard warnings about both, especially Rimadyl. In fact, when Lady got so sick 2&1/2 years ago and nearly died, my vet originally suspected that it was from the Rimadyl, but the toxicology report was negative. Deramaxx is in the coxib family, like Vioxx and Celebrex and was thought to be much safer when it first came out a couple of years ago, but now, with all the buzz about the coxib drugs, who knows?

Bottom line is that any drugs have risks and the risk goes up the longer you stay on them. But for a dog who is in severe pain, there may be no option. I know your Fantasia has "bad bones" like my Lady so she may have to take medication for her arthritis as she gets older. Lady's arthirtis is so bad now, she has to stay on a very low dose of steriods. I hate the risks, but it became a quality of life issue and she would literally scream wiht pain plus the pain would make her blood sugar go up into the 400's (80-120 is normal) which is life threatening for a diabetic. The steriods have been a miracle drug for her - she hasn't had a flare up for over a year now.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Most NSAIDs have risks of affecting the liver as well as causing GI upset. For short courses in a dog with normal liver function, other than mild GI upset it is very unlikely your dog would experience any severe side effects. We use Rimadyl all of the time for 5-10 days for injuries and post-operative pain with no problems. For dogs on NSAIDs long-term, liver function should be monitored regularly.

Rimadyl and other NSAIDs are great drugs that help many dogs. As with any medication, they need to be used carefully.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I tried giving Miko Rimadyl after he first hurt his leg but a single pill (even though it was given with food) resulted in 3-4 bouts of vomiting. So, I couldn't giving him anymore.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by okw@Apr 8 2005, 12:00 PM
I tried giving Miko Rimadyl after he first hurt his leg but a single pill (even though it was given with food) resulted in 3-4 bouts of vomiting.  So, I couldn't giving him anymore.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50508
[/QUOTE]

The vet will give you this after her LP surgery. Jimmi was on it for 7 days after hers. Ask the vet for the chewable kind, mine ate it with no problem.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If he doesn't tolerate Rimadyl, there are a number of other NSAIDs out there or they can use a different type of pain control. Metacam doses nicely for little dogs. For Mikey we used a Duragesic patch which delivers fentanyl through the skin for his big surgeries. Mikey also tolerate Torbutrol well. Both are narcotics.

Just tell the surgeon he doesn't tolerate Rimadyl and gets an upset stomach and they'll give you something else.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 8 2005, 04:39 PM
If he doesn't tolerate Rimadyl, there are a number of other NSAIDs out there or they can use a different type of pain control. Metacam doses nicely for little dogs. For Mikey we used a Duragesic patch which delivers fentanyl through the skin for his big surgeries. Mikey also tolerate Torbutrol well. Both are narcotics.

Just tell the surgeon he doesn't tolerate Rimadyl and gets an upset stomach and they'll give you something else.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50667
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. He is supposed to get a fentanyl patch after the surgery. Miko's surgery was supposed to be this Tuesday, but the vet had an emergency (plus 4 other patella surgeries scheduled), so he couldn't do Miko's. Its postponed to next week.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 8 2005, 04:47 PM
Mikey had pain relief from the patch for 4 days and didn't need any more after we took it off. Next Tuesday for Miko?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50672
[/QUOTE]

next Thursday. I was really upset that they couldn't do it this Tuesday but then I was sort of relieved that we would have more time. They gave us a small discount as a way of apology. Either way, I am completely convinced that he needs it. He is hopping/limping a lot now. Thank you for all your advice.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When Fantasia gets to the point where she needs pain killers as much as Lady, I think I will try and find another pain killer. I am just too scared of Rimadyl now. I just pray that she won't get that bad that she will need pain killers. I have alot of respect for you taking such good care of Lady. If anything happened to me and John I would want you to be Fantasia's god parent. I know how well you care for Lady and it would put my mind at ease knowing that Fantasia would be well taken care of.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by okw+Apr 8 2005, 06:50 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Apr 8 2005, 04:47 PM
Mikey had pain relief from the patch for 4 days and didn't need any more after we took it off. Next Tuesday for Miko?
next Thursday. I was really upset that they couldn't do it this Tuesday but then I was sort of relieved that we would have more time. They gave us a small discount as a way of apology. Either way, I am completely convinced that he needs it. He is hopping/limping a lot now. Thank you for all your advice.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50675
[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm so absent minded don't forget to remind us just in case so we can be thinking of him on Thursday. That was very nice of them with the discount.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by JMM+Apr 9 2005, 12:03 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2005, 06:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Apr 8 2005, 04:47 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50675

[/QUOTE]

I'm so absent minded don't forget to remind us just in case so we can be thinking of him on Thursday. That was very nice of them with the discount.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50863
[/B][/QUOTE]

JMM,

Thanks. I have a quick question for you. The otho surgeon observed Miko walk and said he is putting more weight on his front legs (like 60% or more on front and 40% or less on back legs) and now I have been examining Miko to see how can he see that. The problem is I don't see too many Maltese around here to compare!! It does seem that Miko's front paws have greater area of stepping on the floor than his back paws, so it sort of looks like his back feet are on tippy toes. I am not sure if I am imagining it though. This doesn't really make a difference since he is getting the surgery to fix the luxating patellas, but I just wandered if you know what I am talking about and if there is a way to tell that a dog is putting more weight on front legs vs back legs.

FannyMay,

I am sorry I am intruding with this in your thread.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by okw@Apr 9 2005, 04:24 PM
FannyMay,

I am sorry I am intruding with this in your thread.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50883
[/QUOTE]

HAHA! my thread! Don't worry about it, I do it all the time! I have a one track mind and if I don't post about it in the thread I thought of it in, then it doesn't get posted because I forget!

So for all of you who's threads I hijacked I am also sorry.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It takes a trained eye. It may help to watch him walk up a hill or incline. Normally a dog will push from their back end but when they use their front end more they look like they are pulling themselves up. Mikey went to physical therapy before and after his lp surgery because he got in the habit of putting a lot of weight on his front end as well as having a generally funny gait. The PT had us do exercises at home to teach him to hold his weight more evenly. We also had to do the underwater treadmill and gait training at home. Hopefully Miko's gait differences will resolve after he recovers from surgery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts