Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I am reaching out to the experts on this site to help me once again...Our little guy Oscar is 12 weeks old and he has been with us for 4 week now...we are training him to go on the pad inside. In the beginning he was pulling on the pad folding it over and we finally got a Pad bracket, it is great it looks like a frame and it holds the pad down in place. During the day Oscar’s “room” is our smaller bathroom he has his crate in the toys and water and some food and his pad and his Kong. He has been great in hitting the pad everyday (in larger rooms he has accidents) now his new thing is to rip up the pad tearing the white area up and making holes, when my wife came home yesterday his pad was full and he had ripped it up.
I thought maybe he did it because he had filled the pad and thought by doing this it would make him room to “go make” well this morning while he was in there as we got ready for work, he was ripping up his fresh pad again. I am not sure if he is upset about being in the room, or this is a “puppy thing” but we would like to stop this behavior , any ides on how to get him to stop ripping it up. My wife just called and said he was ripping up the new pad I left and she replaced it and he is tearing at that one already.
Any help would REALLY be appreciated....thanks so much

A.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
This might be a stupid question but are you correcting this bad behavior or just changing the pad?
Have you taught your pup the word "NO" yet?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh Yes !...he has heard the word no, I took him over to the pad and said this is a "NO" you "go make" here...don't want to use too many words...but yes every time he does something we say "oops" if he goes in the wrong place, or a word to make him stop chasing his trail or biting the molding...but this I showed him and said this is a "No" and he looked at us wagged his tail, and was a little scared...like he knew, we were not yelling...but he went back to do it once we walked away.....

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
If he bites the pad when your home and see him doing it is the best time to let him know hes doing wrong. Kodie used to do this too. I kept reinforcing "NO biting" everytime he would go for the puppy pad. He learned really fast. Kodie will bite his pad now only if he gets mad... which is rarely.. but kodie is also 2yrs old now. From my experience I would just keep correcting him and by repeating that he will catch on.
Just make sure when you come home from work and he bit up the pad that you dont correct him and then praise him afterwards. I correct kodie and then dont pay attention to him for about 15 mins... so he sees him upset with him.

I guess I should add that teaching Kodie the "NO BITING" command is what helped.
You know when your pup is young and tries biting you... well I used the same command for the puppy pad. I hope that makes sense. So I taught Kodie "NO biting" me and "NO biting" the puppy pad.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brink also only tears up wee pads out of frustration....usually this is when we come home from being gone several hours and have to turn around and leave again soon...

I have cured this by filling his treat toy with treats right before we leave, or giving him a chicken jerky...this distracts him enough I guess when we leave the second time...I am assuming he plays and/or eats his treats and then goes back to sleep. Works for us anyway.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, sounds good we will do that we will come home and show him that is a "no" and leave him gated in his "room" for a while...we did that yesterday and he threw a FIT ...I guess he has been in there all day and now that we are home he is still locked in, he was not happy and he learned how to bark now...Joy
We will correct him when we see him doing it, but when we come home we will show him "no" and then praise him later...thanks for the help...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think in a way he is upset that we are leaving him also, when he wakes up in the morning (from his crate in our room) we play with him but then put him in his "room" so he can go on the pad pee and right after he eats poo, so he gets a little upset. He just stared doing this a few days ago, so maybe it's his way of lashing out...when we come home we try to take him out but with us also if we need to run out then he gets nuts, or if we have to gate him in the kitchen and we are doing things around him he cries and cries and like I said he is starting to realize he can bark. We are not sure how to stop him from destroying the pad we have to leave for work....we do leave him a Kong when we go...not sure what to do besides the "NO" when we see him or to show him it is not goods when we get back home.....

Originally posted by tlunn@Jun 8 2005, 08:45 AM
Brink also only tears up wee pads out of frustration....usually this is when we come home from being gone several hours and have to turn around and leave again soon...

I have cured this by filling his treat toy with treats right before we leave, or giving him a chicken jerky...this distracts him enough I guess when we leave the second time...I am assuming he plays and/or eats his treats and then goes back to sleep. Works for us anyway.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70434
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie would do it because he was mad at me too... but this behavior needs to be fixed before he gets older. It reminds me of a child that take a temper tantrum.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Kodie@Jun 8 2005, 10:10 AM
Kodie would do it because he was mad at me too... but this behavior needs to be fixed before he gets older.  It reminds me of a child that take a temper tantrum.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70492
[/QUOTE]

Yes exactly...I guess he is mad at us for putting him in or leaving him there...we work so we are not able to have him out of the room that much, we have another bathroom that is slightly larger that might fir him well and the pad is not right by his crate...but I guess the only way to stop it is to say "no" and show him it's wrong...he is not ready for a trainer or puppy school yet, he is not through getting his shots...so we must wait for now
Any other suggestions bring them on, we are open to ides how to stop this...can’t have him throwing a “fit” every time he goes in there

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
well i have Kodie in a pen I bought from petsmart. I always put the one side of the puppy pad underneath the pen to hold it in place. Just thought I'd throw that in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Kodie@Jun 8 2005, 10:41 AM
well i have Kodie in a pen I bought from petsmart.  I always put the one side of the puppy pad underneath the pen to hold it in place.  Just thought I'd throw that in.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70509
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input, we have a pad holder and now that is why he is pulling the white center out he can't get to the rest of pad....I thinkhe is just throwing a tamtrum....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
when i first got the girls, the wee wee pad wasnt available 24/7. i always played with them, ran around the house...and then when they would stop and smell----i would carry them to the enclosed area (enclosed by 1980's huge encyclopedias. lol)so that they HAD to go potty before they were let out. and i knew they needed to go. you know? but i wouldnt keep them in there for longer than like 3-5 mnutes. they learned that the wee wee pad is only for potty. and they didnt have the chance to rip it up. and sprite went through a phase of trying to drag the wee wee pad by the edge...so i taped it down to the carpet.

anyway, after maybe a month i didnt enclose the wee wee pad...but i would watch them like a hawk. sprite was trained with in 3 months and ellie was trained within 2 months.

good luck!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I was looking at that web site... How do you search for open back dress and long train? I dont see any dress like that... anyone ever see a dress like that?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pad Update

We are still having the daily issues with our little guy ripping at his pad, we try to say "NO" when we catch him in the act, but he does it more when he is alone, yesterday I came home to find half the pad ripped he peed and pooped on the floor (where the pad should be) and I said "no" and no bite, "go make" here and then after let him sit there in his crate and ignored him to let him know I am upset. After a few minutes I took him out of his area and praised him and he was good, until this morning, we put him in his area when he woke up to pee and poo. He actually peed on his pillow that he lays on and pooped on the pad (not too bad) ...
I also gave him his teething toy (thought he might be teething), and I went upstairs to get ready for work, and he started to rip the pad I caught him and said "No" that is a bad, he stopped but then my wife caught him doing it again before she left...any ideas as to why and what we can do to stop this. We do not want to crate him the entire time we are at work.....

Thanks Again
A.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
just curious but does your little one take his toy on the pad and play? Kodie sometimes does that and bites the pad as he plays.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Maybe your pup is bored... do you let him run around in the morning and play before getting ready for work? He might be full of energy and ripping the pad because hes mad your leaving.

It also sounds like your pup isnt completely trainned on the puppy pads yet... so please have patience with it. Trust me Kodie used to bite his pad too but i really do believe you can correct this behavior.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Kodie@Jun 10 2005, 07:43 AM
just curious but does your little one take his toy on the pad and play?  Kodie sometimes does that and bites the pad as he plays.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71255
[/QUOTE]

We do see him sit on there at times playing with his toys and we try to not have him do that. We do not want him to feel that is a place he should lay and get comfortable (guess that didn't work) that is why we tried to put a pillow he likes in there but he peed on it this morning...not sure what to do at this point. I know he is at home chewing away at his pad...hahahah

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
and he has toys in there to play with? you ever try a kong?

Kodie still plays with his toys on his puppy pad... but if i see him getting rough with it I say "no". The funny thing is... Kodie will take his food on his puppy pad too.. which can be gross if there is pee on it!! Kodie basically learned to love his puppy pad. He pees, poos, plays, sits on it at times, and eats on it.. haha..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Kodie@Jun 10 2005, 08:01 AM
and he has toys in there to play with?  you ever try a kong?

Kodie still plays with his toys on his puppy pad... but if i see him getting rough with it I say "no".  The funny thing is... Kodie will take his food on his puppy pad too.. which can be gross if there is pee on it!!  Kodie basically learned to love his puppy pad.  He pees, poos, plays, sits on it at times, and eats on it.. haha..
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71262
[/QUOTE]

Yes, we have toys and my wife gives him his Kong as she is ready to walk out to work. Before that we make sure his normal toys are in there.
I like your theory of him maybe having some pent up energy, we try to put him in his area so he can go make, we are worried he will pee if we play with him early in the morning. When we bring him on the carpet in our family he pees, so maybe we need to wait until he does his business and then take him out and run him a little before we go to work, and maybe he will not have the desire to rip at his pad...thanks..

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Maybe a kong isn't his "thing"....maybe you need to experiment around and see what he REALLY likes that will distract him from just about anything....
For Brink, this is the chicken jerky treats, or his crunch Charlie Bear LIver Treats in his Twist-n-Treat...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts