Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks as if I can safely say Rocky (6 months) is housebroken. He's been letting us know when he has to go potty for over a month now..before we were just taking him out every couple of hours. I'm so proud of him.

Next, getting him to actually walk, not run on the leash, LOL...:innocent:

How do you get a dog to roll over or play dead? I have no idea...so far he knows, sit, stay, lay down, sit pretty and he waits for me to say he can get his treat. I put it on the floor not far from him.:chili: But he usually only does these commands when he has a treat dangling in front of him, hee hee.:wub:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
There is a difference between a reward and a bribe. A bribe is waved in front of your face. A reward is the consequence of a behavior.
Once a dog knows a behavior on cue, it is important to move to a variable schedule of reinforcement. What that means is the cookie comes sometimes, sometimes you get pet, sometimes its a toy, etc. The idea is if the dog doesn't know which time gets the best reward, they are more likely to do the behavior.
Since you have been bribing, I would first switch to the treat being a reward. An easy way to do that is to keep cookies around the house or in your pocket. Randomly ask for a behavior. If the dog does not do it say "oh too bad" and walk away. If they do it, reward! I find it easiest to ask for something when the dog is already focused on me - say they want up on the couch or they want me to toss their toy. As your dog finds good things happen when they do the behavior without a bribe, they will be more likely to perform the behavior on cue.
Another important thing is to remember that dogs do not generalize. This means what you taught in the kitchen needs to be re-taught on the deck, on the driveway, at the pet store, etc. Try to work with an increasing amount of distraction instead of jumping from in the kitchen to the pet store.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Dianne, can I ask 'how' he's letting you know? I was trying to bell train Poppy, but he just rings it and rings it to play with it.

JMM, I didn't know about them not generalizing ... I need to start working on Poppy's tricks and stuff in other places than the kitchen. Thanks!

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
13 Posts
I 2nd the question of Jules. I'm trying to bell train mine as well and occassionally he'll go ring it and then by time i hear it and reach him, he's already in action. Even if he begins to play with the bell even if I know he has just gone out to pee, I'll still take him out. I guess being consistent with the bell when he needs to go out everytime and eventually he'll get it, right?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I 2nd the question of Jules. I'm trying to bell train mine as well and occassionally he'll go ring it and then by time i hear it and reach him, he's already in action. Even if he begins to play with the bell even if I know he has just gone out to pee, I'll still take him out. I guess being consistent with the bell when he needs to go out everytime and eventually he'll get it, right?
Yeah, I guess maybe you're right. I'm still teetering on the bell training, as there were at least two people on here that had problems with their Maltese ringing and ringing it just because they wanted to be outside, all the time. Right now Poppy is doing so good with holding it until we take him out ... so I don't know.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a difference between a reward and a bribe. A bribe is waved in front of your face. A reward is the consequence of a behavior.
Once a dog knows a behavior on cue, it is important to move to a variable schedule of reinforcement. What that means is the cookie comes sometimes, sometimes you get pet, sometimes its a toy, etc. The idea is if the dog doesn't know which time gets the best reward, they are more likely to do the behavior.
Since you have been bribing, I would first switch to the treat being a reward. An easy way to do that is to keep cookies around the house or in your pocket. Randomly ask for a behavior. If the dog does not do it say "oh too bad" and walk away. If they do it, reward! I find it easiest to ask for something when the dog is already focused on me - say they want up on the couch or they want me to toss their toy. As your dog finds good things happen when they do the behavior without a bribe, they will be more likely to perform the behavior on cue.
Another important thing is to remember that dogs do not generalize. This means what you taught in the kitchen needs to be re-taught on the deck, on the driveway, at the pet store, etc. Try to work with an increasing amount of distraction instead of jumping from in the kitchen to the pet store.
Excellent advice....thanks!! Today he sat for me and I just praised him. He will do his tricks in any room, haven't tried them outside yet.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dianne, can I ask 'how' he's letting you know? I was trying to bell train Poppy, but he just rings it and rings it to play with it.

JMM, I didn't know about them not generalizing ... I need to start working on Poppy's tricks and stuff in other places than the kitchen. Thanks!

HUGz! Jules
He lets me know by whimpering by the door. He will also let me know if I'm in another room. He comes to where I am, barks at me and starts to run..I get up and he goes to the door. He never asks just to go out to play, he always does what he has to do first by going to the side of the house. He also "comes" when I call him, unless he's on the other side of the yard, then it's harder for him to focus.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He whimpers by the door. If I'm in the computer room or where ever, he comes to me, barks and runs to the door. I wish he would bark at the door, but I guess whimpering is a start, LOL. I've never heard of the bell....where is it?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yeah, I guess maybe you're right. I'm still teetering on the bell training, as there were at least two people on here that had problems with their Maltese ringing and ringing it just because they wanted to be outside, all the time. Right now Poppy is doing so good with holding it until we take him out ... so I don't know.

HUGz! Jules
I've heard that LOTS AND LOTS of times, on this forums and others. The dog seems to start to associate the bell with attention and going outside rather than just potty time. I don't think there's much of a way to avoid that, since to be consistent you HAVE to bring him out when he rings it (unless, of course, he JUST came in..)

Sometimes Leila runs over and sits at the door. When I see her do that, I bring her out and she always potties right away, but she isn't solely an outside potty-er so that's only some of the time.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Pepper just stands at the door and hopes we notice her....LOL!!!!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
He whimpers by the door. If I'm in the computer room or where ever, he comes to me, barks and runs to the door. I wish he would bark at the door, but I guess whimpering is a start, LOL. I've never heard of the bell....where is it?
It is basically hanging bells at the door you take them out, and teaching them to ring the bell. As you train them, you ring the bell with their nose or paw every time you take them out.

But, as I said, it seems a lot of people run into problems, with the dog ringing the bell just for the hay of it, when they want to go outside. And, I could see that happening here, because Poppy loves being outside.

HUGz! Jules

1 - 11 of 11 Posts