Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being sent home last time, Romo is at the vet and is indeed getting neutered and many teeth pulled. Vet sent him home last time due to him not teething but today she says his adults have come in and this is perfect timing to have all his baby teeth removed.

Should I soften his food for his next feedings? How and for how long until he is better? Any other suggestions for when he comes home?

I honestly thought I'd be less nervous today b/c he was sent back home the last time but I am pretty anxious and full of nerves right now. Poor baby he doesn't know what is going to hit him. :unsure:

Also, very recently this week we saw Romo's "lipstick" (I just read Jules thread) and this was not due to being stuck but he was humping my husband's arm! When he pulled him off, we saw it! :huh: Will this not happen again after his neuter? I am so hoping it won't. :blush:

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Good luck Romeo, I sure you will be just fine. :thumbsup:

Our boys didn't need any special food and ate as normal. We always give canned food along with dry kibble for grazing. They all went to both with no problems. I am sure your Vet will have some advice for you too.

I think the humping will stop in time after Romeo's surgery. Stop him and direct his attention to something else.

As far as seeing his penis out I don't think that is uncommon. When our guys clean themselves it is visible but always goes back in...that is the key to a problem as it must go back inside.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
My dogs all eat dry food after puppy extractions...won't hurt to soften for a few days.
I would treat the humping as a behavior issue and immediately interrupt and redirect when he does it. Even neutered males "lipstick" can make an appearance sometimes.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
aww poor baby! I'll be thinking of him and praying for a speedy recovery :grouphug:

i'm not too sure about post-op care for neutering since remy came to me neutered but i think you should prevent him from touching/licking his stitches. I think a onesie will help with this. Also, make sure he isn't too active. I remember Du called me after he got Remy neutered and he said Remy recovered in one day!

As for teeth pulling, you can wet his kibbles with a bit of water or chicken broth and heat it in the microwave for about 2 seconds to soften it. Remy got more sick from the pain meds than the actual teeth pulling so definitely bring it up to the vet and ask him/her if they can give him an injection of pain meds before he leaves the office. I would also look into Metacam or the like. Remy was on torbutrol and he didn't do well on that at all.

Please keep us posted. Sending hugs to you and Romo!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's been gone for only 2 hours now but I miss him already. I just told my husband that the "house feels empty without Romo" and husband said "yeah, it's not the same here." :crying: I can't wait to get my little man home.

·
Registered
730 Posts
(Romo) I hope everything is going well with his surgery! Do you have some Nutracal in case he doesn't want to eat kibble?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone. He is home and been a trooper. I do have some more questions now that he is home so I'd like to start a new thread. Thanks for your support. I am so glad to have my boy home. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts