Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out a week ago that I needed a root canal and I'm a little scared. :eek: I'm going in on wednesday so be thinking of me. my dentisted explained the procedure then told me it should be much worse than getting a filling. I'm thinking Drilling a hole romoving vessels and NERVES thats gotta hurt. :new_Eyecrazy: I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed and that was a big major surgery because they were growing all funny ways. It wasnt too bad but I was asleep. This scares me because I'm awake.

I just wanted to know what to expect? on a scale 1-10 how was your pain. My mom is going with me just incase but I'm scared I will be in pain and awake and feeling it all.

HELP!!!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I worked in a dental office for over 12 years. For some reason people are afraid of Root Canals. It's really nothing to be afraid of.

We would tell our patients to bring a headset. Listen to music. What "hurts" is the sound. It doesn't really hurt it just sounds FUNNY. If you bring a headset you won't hear the sounds. Trust me on this one. I have had a root canal and there was nothing about it that hurt.

I would say to most people that says they hurt. FIND ANOTHER DENTIST. Also, if you do feel any pain at all, just like with a filling, ask the dentist to numb you more.

·
Registered
285 Posts
unfortunately I have had more root canals than I ever would care to. They
don't hurt anymore than anything else. The only reason I dread them is because
they take longer. And I litteraly have such a fear of the Dentist that I have
been known to pass out a couple of times because I let myself get too worked
up over it. But I do agree if you have a good dentist if you feel any pain, ask for
more numbing agents. You shouldn't feel anything. Infact my dentist always told
me that sometimes they will hurt afterwards and would write me out a prescription
for pain killers, but I've never had to use one yet. They have never hurt me afterwards except when I had an abcessed tooth but that was the infection
that was hurting not the work that the dentist did.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I haven't had one but for me it is the name that is scarey... I mean "CANAL"... that sounds very invasive!! Why not just call it something like "Root Restructuring" or something less harsh!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I've had a few root canals. Don't worry about pain, they are going to numb you. It just takes awhile, holding your mouth open. I know years ago it was a 3 appoint thing, I believe now its done in 2 appoints. Don't stress you'll be just fine

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I've never had one, but I agree with the suggestion of taking the headset. It may help you relax more. Matter of fact, my dentist has headsets in all of his rooms for his patients to use when they are having any work done. Hope all goes well and pain free. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Oct 11 2005, 06:16 AM
I haven't had one but for me it is the name that is scarey... I mean "CANAL"... that sounds very invasive!! Why not just call it something like "Root Restructuring" or something less harsh!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108327
[/QUOTE]

HaHa! Thats a great suggestion!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I really freak out from the mention of that word just because I have had some bad experiences.. but that is just me... my friend has no issues at all and yes she sleeps throught it... .. Anyway.. I really hate dentist needels... other ones I can hadel but the dentist is trumatizing for me. So they give me gas the one you breath in it calms me down.. then he give me the needel, but by the time the gas kicks in I can't feel the needel anymore so that is the good part ,every thing after that is a easy.. then just close your eyes so you don't see anything. you will be fine. Depending on the tooth it can be two or three appointments. then depending on how weak the tooth is you may also need a crown to protect it...

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I don't know why the name "root canal" is so scary, but it terrifies people!

I've had two done and as the others have said, since they numb you, you won't feel anything. The procedure is more tiring than anything else because you have to keep your mouth open for so long.

The real pain is the pain you will feel in your wallet! I hope your new job came with dental insurance! Here in Raleigh, root canals are about $1200, then you have to get a crown on top of it for another $800! Even with good dental insurnace, the out-of-pocket expenses are about half that.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The real pain is the pain you will feel in your wallet![/B]
That is the truth. i had two root canals last year.. now I need two crowns... I'm trying to figure out how to pay for it. We have coverage but you still have to pay first... I also whish they could knock you out for a crown.. is it the same procedure as a filling?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Crowns are easy, pretty much like getting a filing. They give you a temporary, then you go back and get the crown put on.

Make sure you go to someone good for the crown since there is nothing worse than a crown that doesn't fit properly! That's how I ended up with one of my root canals. I broke a tooth right after I moved down here and made the mistake of going to a dental group 5 minutes away just because it was so close. They botched it, it got infected, and I had to fight with them to get my money back to go to another dentist to get it fixed. I was in so much pain and by the time I got to another doctor, the tooth had died. My endodontist had to drill through the crown to do the root canal! But he did it right and I haven't any had problems since and that was 10 years ago.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the support. My whole face has been hurting the past week because of this tooth. The Dr. said I needed this done because he saw a major infection under my roots of this tooth. He put me on anitbiotics but I called today because I can tell the infection is spreading. My upper gums on that side are very swollen and painful. They called in a pain med for me but I will just take some advil and try to rest. I will just me glad to get this over with. :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by sassy14830@Oct 11 2005, 04:56 PM
thanks for all the support. My whole face has been hurting the past week because of this tooth. The Dr. said I needed this done because he saw a major infection under my roots of this tooth. He put me on anitbiotics but I called today because I can tell the infection is spreading. My upper gums on that side are very swollen and painful. They called in a pain med for me but I will just take some advil and try to rest. I will just me glad to get this over with.  :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108546
[/QUOTE]

oh no you poor thing... i have been there this year actually. for me they had to change my anticbiotics because it was spreading too, but i could not take penicillan.
When do you go in... for the root canal... the advil should help as well with the pain ...they gave me ibporphin for the inflimation. I do hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
my first root canal was so quick and painless that i went back to work later that afternoon. my second one, well, that was the one i call the "impromptu facial reconstruction appointment"... i went in for some pain, and the dentist said "what i'd like to do, is perform a root canal on this one...how about right now?" EEEEK!!! it was on the lower jaw, which i'd always heard was much worse than the upper, and in my case, that was very true. i was out of work for 3 days, doped up on whatever i could get the dentist to prescribe LOL, and i am NOT a "medicator", i usually refuse any types of medication. i think it was just misery, not actual pain LOL.
anyway, the actual process was pretty easy. i was knocked out, and didnt feel a thing. my dentist had tv's on the ceiling and you got headsets with a remote control, too, so i thought "certainly i can find something to occupy myself with!" but it was late morning, so i had little choices other than springer, rikki, or montel. bleecchhhh. so i turned on c-span and fell asleep LOL

you'll be fine. just be sure to have someone drive you there and home. i didnt, and realllllly would have benefitted even from a cab ride home, even though it was like 20 miles thru atlanta traffic LOL.

how about we all have a margarita in your honor? that should make you feel better. you'll like it, i make great ones!!!!!

ann marie and the "whoooohooooo! out comes the blender!" buttercup

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by TheButtercup@Oct 11 2005, 06:42 PM
my first root canal was so quick and painless that i went back to work later that afternoon.  my second one, well, that was the one i call the "impromptu facial reconstruction appointment"...  i went in for some pain, and the dentist said "what i'd like to do, is perform a root canal on this one...how about right now?"  EEEEK!!!  it was on the lower jaw, which i'd always heard was much worse than the upper, and in my case, that was very true.  i was out of work for 3 days, doped up on whatever i could get the dentist to prescribe LOL, and i am NOT a "medicator", i usually refuse any types of medication.  i think it was just misery, not actual pain LOL.
anyway, the actual process was pretty easy.  i was knocked out, and didnt feel a thing.  my dentist had tv's on the ceiling and you got headsets with a remote control, too, so i thought "certainly i can find something to occupy myself with!" but it was late morning, so i had little choices other than springer, rikki, or montel.  bleecchhhh.  so i turned on c-span and fell asleep LOL

you'll be fine.  just be sure to have someone drive you there and home.  i didnt, and realllllly would have benefitted even from a cab ride home, even though it was like 20 miles thru atlanta traffic LOL.

how about we all have a margarita in your honor?  that should make you feel better.  you'll like it, i make great ones!!!!!

ann marie and the "whoooohooooo! out comes the blender!" buttercup
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108576
[/QUOTE]

Hey i'm with you on that... cheers!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.