Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of those knoted string rope toys for tug of war with Izzy but I never allow her to have it unsupervised. My SIL had to take their large lab for surgery to remove a mass of the strings that were entwined in his stomach and intestines. Her vet said to never give them to animals because they swallow too much of the string that they pull off.

Has anyone else heard this? Do you think it was a fluke that Blaze had a problem with them?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I've never had a prob with them, but my sister's dog (Australian Shep.) can rip them apart in a minute. We learned that when they came up to visit and he found all of our dog toys. Just my opinion, but I don't think Peanut or Tic could pull any of the strings out. I am really neurotic and I check all their toys constantly but there's really no wear and tear on theirs. I would say it depends on how much of a chewer Izzy is.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It may be a lab thing as well. Our lab has had a few exploritory surgeries to pull things out that he had eaten and was causing problems. He ate an entire converse shoe (not in pieces he some how managed to swallow the majority of it whole) and a entire mop head (again whole). One time they had to go in and remove all the rocks he had eaten over the years. And even at 9 he will still eat anything I guess he never learned.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@May 28 2005, 11:08 PM
It may be a lab thing as well.  Our lab has had a few exploritory surgeries to pull things out that he had eaten and was causing problems.  He ate an entire converse shoe (not in pieces he some how managed to swallow the majority of it whole) and a entire mop head (again whole).  One time they had to go in and remove all the rocks he had eaten over the years.  And even at 9 he will still eat anything I guess he never learned.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66568
[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Both my guys are heavy chewers and I don't trust the cotton rope toys for them because they are made of a cotton material and from what I've heard this is not as safe to ingest as nylon. I use Nyla-Floss and I love it... or I should say they love it. It is just about their favorite thing to chew and pull on. They do eat some of the strings but I think it just goes through them.

I could not find it in any stores. I got it at Valley Vet online, per a recommendation from Nyla Company. If you want to order it, just key in the item # 13649 in to their search: Valley Vet

"Hambone flavored, 100% inert nylon. The durable smooth nylon strands help remove destructive plaque and tartar down to and at the gum line, where gum disease begins."

The price is $5.75 each and they don't charge shipping but do charge a $5.00 handling fee for orders under $50.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts