Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever my hubby leaves the house, Rose goes ballistic and tries to keep him from leaving. Once he is gone, it is as if nothing happened. Today she got so upset, she nipped him(this has never happened before) so I really must put a stop to this behavior. Rose respects me and my son as leaders, but unless one of us is around to stop her, she will still do it. My husband is a passive man around the girls, and they do not see him as a leader. All he does is "lovey-dovey" and give them food.(Yes I did point this out to him) My son got her to be quiet by disciplining her with a "bite"(2 fingers poking her shoulder) and if she stayed quiet when my hubby left, he gave her a treat. When I leave the house or my son leaves, she is calm and quiet. Rose really is a sweet little girl and very laid back until her Daddy tries to leave. Is what my son recommends a good idea? Should I try something else? :smilie_tischkante:

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
More excited to me. She does have a shy temperament but I would never describe her as fearful or afraid. It is as if she is saying, "I did not say you could leave". I think it may be because she sees hubby as a lesser pack member.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Pack positions amongst dogs are very fluid and always changing. Dogs also realize we are not dogs lol. A good model is for us to be benevolent leaders. We hand out the resources for desired behavior. Hubby should definitely take part in this. You are 100% right on that. If she is excited then some self control is a good answer. Having hubby leave her on a downstay and you later release her would work. Having her heel with him and then he throws the reward also works. The second she starts up stand totally still and look away. The moment you get calm behavior reward.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jmm-Woo-hoo! Thanks to you, my hubby is participating(I read your post to him) and it's working well, already. We have been practicing this afternoon. I had my Lily in the bath while ago (so I could not help,) and I saw hubby go out to the garage, but my sweet little Rose did not react at all-she was quiet and well-behaved. I'm so proud of her. It's a miracle!:aktion033: Thank you so much!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts