Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to bring something to attention that had been brought up by another not long ago and was somewhat overlooked.
I think it was dwerten who mentioned Rosemary poisoning.
I had been caring for my older daughter's maltese, who, in the past six months had gradually been having little "spells" eventually progressing to grande mal seizures. It was horrid and the vet could find no reason, thus wanting to put her on phenobarbitol for epilepsy. I was so astounded as the dog had been perfectly healthy and now was at death's door with no energy and seizing several times a day (at the worst). When I read that article I remembered my daughter had put her on Eukanuba due to being on the go and unable to make it to the store that sells Canidae. As I recalled it was SHORTLY after that the "spells" began and escalated. I decided to check out the ingredients and sure enough there was the Rosemary. We stopped the feedings of it and within a week or so the seizures were all but gone, with another two weeks finding her seizure free. Her energy level returned and she was fine. I checked with the vet and she had not heard of Rosemary causing this, although that didn't mean it wasn't so. (I commend her for being honest). I found other articles on the net regarding the same. My guess is Rosemary may not cause it in all dogs as not all have a sensitivity to it and small dogs may need less of it to induce such symptoms. Rosemary and its extract are used as preservatives in some dog foods and snacks.
Another friend of mine recently had a maltese that had a seizure. I asked if she had given her anything new to eat. She found the new snack she was giving contained Rosemary. I believe it was Newman's. Her bloodwork came back fine, just as my daughter's dog. She threw the snacks away and the dog has not had another seizure since.
I just wanted to put this out there for reference, in case anyone runs into a similar problem.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Oh my goodness! Brit, you are absolutely right! The internet is full of information about rosemary causing seizures!

Thanks for the warning!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, gosh! I didn't know this. I'm so glad your daughter's Malt is OK now! I just checked my Castor & Pollux Organix food and thankfully it doesn't have Rosemary...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Thanks for posting your experience with rosemary, Brit. I have been very interested in this and haven't found a lot of information. The canine epilepsy site seems to indicate that the herb rosemary is promising in treating epilepsy, while the extract or oil from rosemary is the harmful ingredient. I noticed that Eukanuba contains rosemary extract.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/herbsforpet...#anchor31243852

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (tamizami @ Nov 15 2008, 09:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=671360
Thanks for posting your experience with rosemary, Brit. I have been very interested in this and haven't found a lot of information. The canine epilepsy site seems to indicate that the herb rosemary is promising in treating epilepsy, while the extract or oil from rosemary is the harmful ingredient. I noticed that Eukanuba contains rosemary extract.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/herbsforpet...#anchor31243852[/B]

Yes, it's the extract that's usually found in the dog foods. I should have made that more clear. However, I certainly wouldn't want to give my dog Rosemary in any form at this point. The extract was found in Eukanuba and Newman's treats.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
That is important information to know. I use to give my dog newman's treats but she didn't like it and I threw them away.

Are you talking about Toy? .......or do you have more than one daughter? I just fell in love with that picture of Toy looking up and into the camera. What beautiful bright eyes and such an angelic face!!!!

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
yep it was me as i am very strict with my dogs diet after dexter almost died of pancreatitis and one night i was lazy and bought a rotisserie chicken that was rosemary so it was real potent and when i tasted it all i could taste was rosemary. Demi had no health issues at all ever for 4 1/2 years and i always added organic baked chicken with her food so being lazy i added a few pieces of the rosemary chicken that night and 12 hrs later almost exactly demi came to me and put her legs on my knees as if to pick her up and she opened her mouth and i saw bile in back of mouth as if to throw up and i set her down to vomit and she fell on her side and went stiff. I freaked and picked her up and she stood stiff and would not move - it was scary and read up and that is a petit mal as grand mal they convulse and petit they go stiff. I knew it was the rosemary as i had read not to give rosemary to dogs prone to seizures but demi was healthy so did not think anything of it so i knew that caused her to act that way. Her food is newman's own organic and it has rosemary and she has never had any reaction like this before so i think the rosemary was so potent it triggered it. So two weeks later i used the petzlife gel and that has rosemary in it and 12 hrs later she started vomitting so we stopped that too. Still on the food but i think the amount is so minute it has not caused issues but i wanted to wait for dental to switch foods so I may be switching her to natural balance. Still investigating but if you check rosemary is in alot of treats and dog food :( I believe it is a natural preservative is why. I was glad it occured before she went under anesthesia so i could warn them in doing propofol over ket/val. I am so glad my post helped in confirming this as that was my first post here as my friend who is on her and who referred me here wanted me to post here after it happened to demi but no one responded so i figured no one ever saw this occur in a maltese before. It was wild as demi has been totally healthy and blood work ok except her teeth issues :(

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
here is some info on it

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels...ealthy_diet.htm

http://www.the-puppy-dog-place.com/timberwolf-dog-food.html

http://www.gentlecarepet.com/whatis_seizures_epilepsy

http://thebarfblog-emily.blogspot.com/2008...s-epilepsy.html

this one brings up another point i have read on is turkey meat is not good to give dogs prone to seizures as i believe the triptofan (spelling?) in it triggers something with them - see below

http://sheltie-hair.blogspot.com/2008/09/c...izure-faqs.html

I have even gone so far as to not use any shampoos or conditioners with lavender or rosemary in it as what is put on skin is absorbed into the body and blood therefore i will not take any chances with those two herbs

I have also read to avoid grains in dogs with epilepsy as that can trigger the seizures

I am on 55 dog groups and try to read alot after having 2 with health issues and now demi with the dental situation I have had to learn alot to be their best advocate :)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (dwerten @ Nov 15 2008, 10:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=671395
yep it was me as i am very strict with my dogs diet after dexter almost died of pancreatitis and one night i was lazy and bought a rotisserie chicken that was rosemary so it was real potent and when i tasted it all i could taste was rosemary. Demi had no health issues at all ever for 4 1/2 years and i always added organic baked chicken with her food so being lazy i added a few pieces of the rosemary chicken that night and 12 hrs later almost exactly demi came to me and put her legs on my knees as if to pick her up and she opened her mouth and i saw bile in back of mouth as if to throw up and i set her down to vomit and she fell on her side and went stiff. I freaked and picked her up and she stood stiff and would not move - it was scary and read up and that is a petit mal as grand mal they convulse and petit they go stiff. I knew it was the rosemary as i had read not to give rosemary to dogs prone to seizures but demi was healthy so did not think anything of it so i knew that caused her to act that way. Her food is newman's own organic and it has rosemary and she has never had any reaction like this before so i think the rosemary was so potent it triggered it. So two weeks later i used the petzlife gel and that has rosemary in it and 12 hrs later she started vomitting so we stopped that too. Still on the food but i think the amount is so minute it has not caused issues but i wanted to wait for dental to switch foods so I may be switching her to natural balance. Still investigating but if you check rosemary is in alot of treats and dog food :( I believe it is a natural preservative is why. I was glad it occured before she went under anesthesia so i could warn them in doing propofol over ket/val. I am so glad my post helped in confirming this as that was my first post here as my friend who is on her and who referred me here wanted me to post here after it happened to demi but no one responded so i figured no one ever saw this occur in a maltese before. It was wild as demi has been totally healthy and blood work ok except her teeth issues :([/B]
I read it and was just too busy trying to help my daughter's maltese to respond, but as you see, I didn't forget! :)
Thanks to you and your findings her little maltese is well and no sign of seizures.
I do remember reading dogs do not have to be epileptic to seize from the rosemary extract but can have a sensitivity to it. I wonder how many other herbs, foods, etc., could be causing such harm.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Thanks for posting this.... with Harry's medical issues, I have to be very aware of what he eats... so I
appreciate any and all food warnings.

Thanks,

Debbie

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Brit~ Thanks for posting this! I am going to throw out the Eukanuba food I've been feeding Abbey. The store was out of Solid Gold Wee bites, so I picked this up. Abbey had a seizure in June & another in October. Abbey is very healthy, blood work checking out...etc. I'm not taking chances...so that food is going out in the garbage. Thanks again, Brit! :grouphug:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts