Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
With several of you experiencing seizures I have checked everything for rosemary. TG the food has no rosemary because Zoey's on a special diet for IBD. I did however have some treats with rosemary. Solid Gold Tiny Tots, California Natural Health Bars and Yummy Chummies. I hate this! I have to be so careful because of the IBD and Zoey is fine with these treats. I'm not taking any chances so out they go. I also just started them both on PetZlife Oral spray. I checked their site for a full list of ingredients and it has rosemary oil. That's a problem because I feel like I need to use something. This is disturbing because rosemary's in so many things.
Thanks for posting and letting us know the dangers of rosemary.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
From all that I've read oil of rosemary is not toxic. It's the extract and perhaps the rosemary
itself. However, like you, I'd feel safer tossing it too.
Rosemary and it's extract is used for preserving and of course, rosemary flavors.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I am so happy it helped your grand baby :) I know i bought the book herbs for pets and read it in there. It is just so hard as everyone and every dog can react so different :( my boy yorkie gets so sick on white potato foods and took a year to figure it out but now know white potato is inflammatory and not good for dogs with ibd - he has a food intolerance to it and gets backed up and vomits :( I try to help where i can as I know how frustrating and scary it can be in dealing with a sick baby :( I am so happy she is doing your daughters lil baby is better now :)

I read it and was just too busy trying to help my daughter's maltese to respond, but as you see, I didn't forget! :)
Thanks to you and your findings her little maltese is well and no sign of seizures.
I do remember reading dogs do not have to be epileptic to seize from the rosemary extract but can have a sensitivity to it. I wonder how many other herbs, foods, etc., could be causing such harm.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
many dog foods do :( newman's own organic has it but demi has never had an issue with food it was when i gave her the rotisserie chicken and the petzlife made her vomit after she had the reaction -- I am looking into another food as soon as urine and dental follow up is done. I am considering solid gold wee bits if anyone is familiar with that one -it does not have rosemary in it or natural balance fish and sweet potato as to the anti-inflammatory in fish diet.

QUOTE (KAG @ Nov 16 2008, 02:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=671464
Holy crap! Innova dry small bites has rosemary extract in it.[/B]

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Now I'm freaking out because I feed J & J a mix of EVO red meat small bites and Nature's Variety Prairie and they both have Rosemary extract as the last ingredient. Should I stop feeding them these foods or if they've been ok, it's ok?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I think if you have not seen seizure activity i would not worry as demi eats newmans own organic and has not had a seizure and it has rosemary in it but i am looking to switch her. It was only when she had that chicken and the petzlife and it says do not feed if your dog is prone to seizures so maybe yours will be ok but if you notice any seizure activity i would then stop it.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
:new_shocked: DARN it all! Ok there goes the Instinct Kibble... NO more of that.

And so odd, I got this emailed to me today about Seizures. And first person I thought was Carrie and the Mas Dude.

Hello Melanie,

Re: Seizuring and NO Mo**ney

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hey fellow readers- a cheery Monday to you!

One emergency call that I had this weekend
was a dog seizuring.

His head and legs were rigid and extended.

He was paddling.

Lying on his side and unresponsive.

It had lasted a few minutes when
his owner phoned.

----------------------
NO Mon**ey
----------------------

They wanted to KNOW if there was
anything they could do at home.

They didn't have much mon**ey.

First I would NEVER refuse an emergency
client like this- and I let them know
that.

Then I recalled the Acupressure Interview
I had with Dr Michael Lines.

He had seen a seizuring person treated
in a restaurant with a specific point.

So I gave the specifics to the owner.

At the base of your pets nose-right below
the nostrils, there is a very responsive
acupressure point.

I had them hold their middle finger over
that point - with moderate pressure- for
1 minute.

---------------------------
Then what happened?
---------------------------

He STOPPED seizuring.

WOW....

Did the Acupressure do this?

PERHAPS

Many seizures do just stop on their
own.

BUT it was a pretty impressive cause and
effect.

The name of the point?

GV 26

It is also used in CPR- for years I have
used this area to get dogs and cats to start
breathing- especially when they are first under
anesthetic.

I never imagined that it was an Acupressure
point.

I am all jazzed about this Acupressure stuff-
I really feel that it can help MANY ill dogs
and cats- and it has NO side effects.

To hear my Interview with Dr Lines, and to
get a video of me demonstrating acupressure
points go here:

http://www.theonlinevet.com

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Flipping heck!! I never heard of this. Chloe LOVED BBQ chicken from chicken treat and they smoother things with rosemary!! Mind you we didn't give her the stuffing. But still ....

Thanks for letting us know about this. Will make sure that things dont have rosemary extract.

I'm so glad your daughter's baby is ok now and dwerten's baby too

Hugs and missing tail wags

Dede and (waiting for Katie) from 'under down under' and precious memories of the little sausage

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Natural Balance Potato & Duck Small Bites also has Rosemary Extract in it. I was going to switch London to this because so many SM members have had good experiences with it...but now I'm not so sure... :huh:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Or...it might have Rosemary Extract in it; Petco's website says it contains Rosemary Extract, but the Natural Balance website doesn't list that as an ingredient...so check the individual package.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Maybe this thread should be pinned? I think this is great info. Brit, do you know if Leba has rosemary in it? I think that was adding to Posie's tummy trouble. LJSquishy, try the venison and potato instead of the duck, we are doing great on it now..

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
QUOTE (PuttiePie @ Nov 24 2008, 09:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=676737
Maybe this thread should be pinned? I think this is great info. Brit, do you know if Leba has rosemary in it? I think that was adding to Posie's tummy trouble. LJSquishy, try the venison and potato instead of the duck, we are doing great on it now..[/B]
I think I will try either the Sweet Potato & Venison or the Sweet Potato & Fish. I think those two are safe from the rosemary extract. I will still check the bag before purchasing to be sure. :)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
QUOTE (PuttiePie @ Nov 24 2008, 11:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=676737
Maybe this thread should be pinned? I think this is great info. Brit, do you know if Leba has rosemary in it? I think that was adding to Posie's tummy trouble. LJSquishy, try the venison and potato instead of the duck, we are doing great on it now..[/B]

No, Leba III doesn't have rosemary, but it does have other flower extracts in very minute amounts. I've given Leba for years with no ill effects so I wouldn't want to add them to the list. I researched their ingredients thoroughly before beginning a regimen.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
not to mention merrick food is manufactured on the same land as a rendering plant and the owner keeps lobbying to put rendering parts into dog food :( so i will not feed that food to mine for that reason - google it -- the book foods pets die for explains alot about rendering plants, etc. and that is an excellent book

debw

QUOTE (LadysMom @ Nov 23 2008, 07:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=676169
I just did a little research and Merrick foods are full of rosemary! :OMG!:[/B]

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
WOW I HAVE BEEN FEEDING BACI THE DRY GRAMMY'S POT PIE . I DON'T SEE ANY ROSEMARY IN IT ,IS IT THE CANNED FOOD ? I'M SO UPSET I NEVER HEARD OF RENDERING PLANTS. I JUST STARTED READING THE ARTICLES AND FEEL SICK.CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE IT SAYS THAT MERRICK HAS THERE PLANT ON A RENDERING PLANT.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
According to the book, "Food Pets Die For", Merrick's doesn't just have a rendering plant on their property, they actually OWN the rendering plant. It's a great book, a little scary too.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
yep they own the pet food manufacturing plant and the rendering plant and he is lobbying for it to be put in dog food sooo my take is it is already being done as easy access :(

QUOTE (beckinwolf @ Nov 25 2008, 12:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=677372
According to the book, "Food Pets Die For", Merrick's doesn't just have a rendering plant on their property, they actually OWN the rendering plant. It's a great book, a little scary too.[/B]

·
Registered
17,659 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
QUOTE (LadysMom @ Nov 25 2008, 09:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=677712
Garth Merrick, CEO of Merrick Pet Care, owns a rendering plant which is located in Hereford, Texas. It is called Nutri-Feeds, Inc. Garth Merrick is listed as the president on this enforcement report where Nutri-Feeds was cited for violations (odor). Look on the bottom of the first page under contacts and mailing lists.

http://www7.tceq.state.tx.us/uploads/eagen...008/1838AIR.pdf

It's also listed here:

http://nationalrenderers.org/biosecurity/s...la/appi_members[/B]
Mr. W. Billy Slaughter???? I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I'm so glad to home cook and supplement with Orijen and Pinnacle...*fingers crossed about them*

21 - 40 of 81 Posts