Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
QUOTE (tamizami @ Nov 26 2008, 12:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=677713
QUOTE (LadysMom @ Nov 25 2008, 09:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=677712
Garth Merrick, CEO of Merrick Pet Care, owns a rendering plant which is located in Hereford, Texas. It is called Nutri-Feeds, Inc. Garth Merrick is listed as the president on this enforcement report where Nutri-Feeds was cited for violations (odor). Look on the bottom of the first page under contacts and mailing lists.

http://www7.tceq.state.tx.us/uploads/eagen...008/1838AIR.pdf

It's also listed here:

http://nationalrenderers.org/biosecurity/s...la/appi_members[/B]
Mr. W. Billy Slaughter ???? I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I'm so glad to home cook and supplement with Orijen and Pinnacle...*fingers crossed about them*
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, really! W. Billy Slaughter???????????

I only homecook for Lady now, too. After three bouts with HGE recently, it turns out her pancreas isn't making the enzymes necessary to digest her food so I had no choice. I am so glad I did! Not only is she thriving, I really don't trust any commercial dog food anymore. I used to swear by Natures Vareity, but apparently their canned foods are made by Menu Foods.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
WOW! I HAVE BEEN MIXING THE HOME COOKED CHICKEN/RICE/VEGGIES TO THE MERRICK DRY FOOD.
DOES ANYONE HAVE A RECIPE TO MAKE HOMEMADE DRY FOOD ?THIS IS SO UPSETTING THINKING I HAVE BEEN GIVING WHAT I THOUGHT WAS THE BEST FOOD FOR MY BABY, JUST TO FIND THIS OUT I WOULD RATHER JUST FEED HIM ALL HOME MADE AND CALL IT A DAY.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
thanks i was trying to find where i read this all - i know a yorkie on one of my yorkie groups died as he had a large tumor in his stomache and it was cancer at a young age and all she fed was merrick :( i tried to tell her this info but she was not listening and she has a couple more yorkies so i backed off but it broke my heart.

deb w

QUOTE (LadysMom @ Nov 26 2008, 01:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=677712
Garth Merrick, CEO of Merrick Pet Care, owns a rendering plant which is located in Hereford, Texas. It is called Nutri-Feeds, Inc. Garth Merrick is listed as the president on this enforcement report where Nutri-Feeds was cited for violations (odor). Look on the bottom of the first page under contacts and mailing lists.

http://www7.tceq.state.tx.us/uploads/eagen...008/1838AIR.pdf

It's also listed here:

http://nationalrenderers.org/biosecurity/s...la/appi_members[/B]

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
QUOTE (kathym @ Nov 26 2008, 07:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=677799
WOW! I HAVE BEEN MIXING THE HOME COOKED CHICKEN/RICE/VEGGIES TO THE MERRICK DRY FOOD.
DOES ANYONE HAVE A RECIPE TO MAKE HOMEMADE DRY FOOD ?THIS IS SO UPSETTING THINKING I HAVE BEEN GIVING WHAT I THOUGHT WAS THE BEST FOOD FOR MY BABY, JUST TO FIND THIS OUT I WOULD RATHER JUST FEED HIM ALL HOME MADE AND CALL IT A DAY.[/B]
I think its best to consult with a vet who also specializes in nutrition. You have a few choices:

1. search for a holistic vet with clinical nutrition here: http://www.ahvma.org/
2. use the UC Davis site here for recipes: http://www.balanceit.com/
3. contact a vet who specializes in analyzing bloodwork and developing homecooked recipe and supplements. Dr. Conrad Kruesi in Vermont does phone consultations: http://www.crvetcenter.com/
4. purchase Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats - they are complete and balanced recipes, and work as well with cooked meat as raw meat

Hope that helps you get started!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Dee, we use Castor & Pollux Organix. K & C love it. It doesn't appear to have rosemary:

http://www.castorandpolluxpet.com/store/or..._canine_formula
Ingredients: Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Organic Peas, Organic Barley, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Oats, Chicken Fat preserved with Mixed Tochopherols (form of Vitamin E), Salmon Meal, Organic Whole Flaxseed, Natural Chicken Liver Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Whole Egg, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Proteinate, Calcium Iodate), Choline Chloride, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Yeast Culture (Sacccharomyces Cerevisiae), Dried Enterococcus Faecum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longbrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract and Fermentation Solubles, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
QUOTE (Furbaby's Mommie @ Dec 16 2008, 02:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=690475
Almost every premium and organic dry dogfood I've looked at has Rosemary of some sort. The first one I noticed is Honest Kitchen mixes. Heavy rosemary.

Anyone have a list of otherwise great foods without it?[/B]
Hey Dee, I think I am going to switch mine to Wellness fish formula (or the duck) havent decided. Neither have rosemary. I found out their Wysong has the rosemary in it so I guess it's worth switching if they will eat something else. Although I think if you search hard enough, you can find something wrong with all foods.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
QUOTE (BrookeB676 @ Dec 16 2008, 07:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=690687
Although I think if you search hard enough, you can find something wrong with all foods.[/B]
Boy isn't that the truth! B)

I tried Wellness fish & sweet potato and Shoni would not even taste it. He really likes the Karma he is eating now, and I don't smell Rosemary. There couldn't be much in it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yea. Innova and Evo food both contain Rosemary Extract. :shocked: I have been feeding Milly Innova Puppy food...and now I'm thinking about switching her food.

I'm looking at Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance but not sure which should I get (Ultra Premium? Potato & Duck? Sweet Potato & Fish?)

Any suggestion...? :unsure:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fromm's Four Star Nutritionals doesn't have any rosemary - the primary reason why I switched from Canidae to Fromm's. We love it. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I did so much research trying to find the 'right' food for our babies (and something they would actually eat). I thought I had hit gold with canned Blue Buffalo Chicken Dinner and Merrick's Puppy Plate dry food. I JUST bought a new bag of Merrick's, but my girls will not be eating it, that is for certain!

I had mainly researched the ingredients of the products and would go to the companies' websites to 'get a feel' of the company. Sadly, I was not nearly thorough enough! I am kicking myself, I can't believe I've been feeding my babies this family's garbage. Thank you sooooo much for passing along this information!! (And I really liked the ingredients list on the Puppy Plate, I thought I was such a good mommy for having found such a "good" dry food they liked. :smilie_tischkante: ) I think I'll call Merrick's today and have a little "chat" with them.

I also feed canned Blue Buffalo Chicken Dinner. I'd sure appreciate any comments on this company/food?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Does Fur Butter have Rosemary in it? Happytails Spa (the manufacturer) says it uses Rosemary for "scenting" their product. Of course, we don't know how much of it would be absorbed into the dog's system via the periphery anyhow, so topical Rosemary may not be at issue. Just wonderin'...... :confused1:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
My understanding is that rosemary oil is only an issue in a dog that is already prone to seizures, whereas rosemary the herb is not. If your dog doesn't have seizures, the small amounts of rosemary in some foods as a natural preservative will not harm your dogs.

Here is a link to an article:
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/herbsforpets.html

All this being said, if I had a dog that had seizures, I would avoid all rosemary for the time being.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I believe rosemary extract is a concentrated form too. I do know and saw firsthand a dog have seizures daily
due to the rosemary in Eukanuba. Once the food was removed the dog's seizures subsided within a week.
She's never had a seizure since. This was a year ago. I also know of another dog eating a treat with rosemary
extract and dropping in a seizure after. The treats were thrown away and no more seizures.

Whether a dog is epilieptic doesn't seem to be the issue with rosemary. I wouldn't knowingly feed it to my dog.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
QUOTE (Cosy @ Nov 11 2009, 11:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=850002
I believe rosemary extract is a concentrated form too. I do know and saw firsthand a dog have seizures daily
due to the rosemary in Eukanuba. Once the food was removed the dog's seizures subsided within a week.
She's never had a seizure since. This was a year ago. I also know of another dog eating a treat with rosemary
extract and dropping in a seizure after. The treats were thrown away and no more seizures.

Whether a dog is epilieptic doesn't seem to be the issue with rosemary. I wouldn't knowingly feed it to my dog.[/B]
I agree that rosemary extract is as strong and concentrated as rosemary oil, or rosemary powder.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts