Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
QUOTE (Cosy @ Nov 15 2008, 08:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=671279
I wanted to bring something to attention that had been brought up by another not long ago and was somewhat overlooked.
I think it was dwerten who mentioned Rosemary poisoning.
I had been caring for my older daughter's maltese, who, in the past six months had gradually been having little "spells" eventually progressing to grande mal seizures. It was horrid and the vet could find no reason, thus wanting to put her on phenobarbitol for epilepsy. I was so astounded as the dog had been perfectly healthy and now was at death's door with no energy and seizing several times a day (at the worst). When I read that article I remembered my daughter had put her on Eukanuba due to being on the go and unable to make it to the store that sells Canidae. As I recalled it was SHORTLY after that the "spells" began and escalated. I decided to check out the ingredients and sure enough there was the Rosemary. We stopped the feedings of it and within a week or so the seizures were all but gone, with another two weeks finding her seizure free. Her energy level returned and she was fine. I checked with the vet and she had not heard of Rosemary causing this, although that didn't mean it wasn't so. (I commend her for being honest). I found other articles on the net regarding the same. My guess is Rosemary may not cause it in all dogs as not all have a sensitivity to it and small dogs may need less of it to induce such symptoms. Rosemary and its extract are used as preservatives in some dog foods and snacks.
Another friend of mine recently had a maltese that had a seizure. I asked if she had given her anything new to eat. She found the new snack she was giving contained Rosemary. I believe it was Newman's. Her bloodwork came back fine, just as my daughter's dog. She threw the snacks away and the dog has not had another seizure since.
I just wanted to put this out there for reference, in case anyone runs into a similar problem.[/B]

thank you so much for sharing this with us . . .even if it was not confirmed, it puts us all on awareness . .I would not even risk it and avoid it completely after reading your posting. :wub:

·
Registered
183 Posts
WOW, THANK YOU for this post! My baby just had a seizure last night =( After reading this, I rembered I gave her two of the snacks w/ rosemary extract in them! I am in shock right now, but THANK you again!!!!! The snacks are in the trash as we speak!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
WOW, THANK YOU for this post! My baby just had a seizure last night =( After reading this, I rembered I gave her two of the snacks w/ rosemary extract in them! I am in shock right now, but THANK you again!!!!! The snacks are in the trash as we speak!
As I posted in your other thread, large amounts of rosemary can trigger a seizure in dogs with a low seizure threshold (epileptics). The small amount in food or treats will not cause a seizure in a healthy dog.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Actually stomach upsets from a poisoning factor as well as some herbs (such as rosemary) can be toxic and affect the nervous system. The dog does not have to be epileptic to have a seizure, just as a dog with low blood sugar levels can have a seizure without being epileptic.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wanted to share my similar story. Piper had a seizure this past Monday a.m. I was ready to take her to the vet for shots, so I grabbed her and went...10 min tops to get there. Vet wasn't sure why she had it, said just start documenting them.

When I got home, I saw this thread and read it out loud to my husband, who said OH she was chewing on the rosemary plant yesterday, I almost called you to come and see.

So. HOpefully no more seizures! We went back to the vet for the shots yesterday, and they were appreciative that I mentioned it. Seems like they hadn't really heard of it before.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I hope no more seizures for her too. Please let us know how she does. No more rosemary for her! :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I wanted to bring something to attention that had been brought up by another not long ago and was somewhat overlooked.
I think it was dwerten who mentioned Rosemary poisoning.
I had been caring for my older daughter's maltese, who, in the past six months had gradually been having little "spells" eventually progressing to grande mal seizures. It was horrid and the vet could find no reason, thus wanting to put her on phenobarbitol for epilepsy. I was so astounded as the dog had been perfectly healthy and now was at death's door with no energy and seizing several times a day (at the worst). When I read that article I remembered my daughter had put her on Eukanuba due to being on the go and unable to make it to the store that sells Canidae. As I recalled it was SHORTLY after that the "spells" began and escalated. I decided to check out the ingredients and sure enough there was the Rosemary. We stopped the feedings of it and within a week or so the seizures were all but gone, with another two weeks finding her seizure free. Her energy level returned and she was fine. I checked with the vet and she had not heard of Rosemary causing this, although that didn't mean it wasn't so. (I commend her for being honest). I found other articles on the net regarding the same. My guess is Rosemary may not cause it in all dogs as not all have a sensitivity to it and small dogs may need less of it to induce such symptoms. Rosemary and its extract are used as preservatives in some dog foods and snacks.
Another friend of mine recently had a maltese that had a seizure. I asked if she had given her anything new to eat. She found the new snack she was giving contained Rosemary. I believe it was Newman's. Her bloodwork came back fine, just as my daughter's dog. She threw the snacks away and the dog has not had another seizure since.
I just wanted to put this out there for reference, in case anyone runs into a similar problem.
HOLY COW!!!!!:blink: Thank you for sharing the story, alerting us...and so glad her dog is now fine (that cutie pie pic you posted?)... how scary!!! Thank heavens you thought of that/checked!!!! :thumbsup::aktion033:

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I wanted to share my similar story. Piper had a seizure this past Monday a.m. I was ready to take her to the vet for shots, so I grabbed her and went...10 min tops to get there. Vet wasn't sure why she had it, said just start documenting them.

When I got home, I saw this thread and read it out loud to my husband, who said OH she was chewing on the rosemary plant yesterday, I almost called you to come and see.

So. HOpefully no more seizures! We went back to the vet for the shots yesterday, and they were appreciative that I mentioned it. Seems like they hadn't really heard of it before.
I would remove the rosemary plant :( My demi had this same thing happen which is why I posted and it occurred 12 hrs after she ate some rosemary rotisserie chicken i screwed up and gave her and she does not have epilepsy. She has not had one since.

I think many use rosemary to keep rabbits out of their yards. Is this true?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks so much for drawing this to our attention. I just checked a bad of Iams that I have that Buddy was not too fond of and sure enough the last ingredient listed is Rosemary Extract! Why would they put that in dog food knowing that it could possibly cause seizures? I will definitely be reading ingredients on everything I give him from now on. I quit giving him rawhide chews because I read that they have arsenic in them! And I was always concerned he would get choked on them, never knowing they could poison him!!! There needs to be more regulations on pet foods. We wouldn't give our children things that would poison them so why would we want to give our animals something that would cause harm?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Dog had a Seizure today

Hey everyone. I am a concerned mom, my dog, Scrappy is 2 1/2 years old and had his first seizure today and hopefully the last. I was totally freaked out and did not know what to do. After searching the internet, it brought me here and I started reading about rosemary and other signs of seizures. So I looked at his dog food...and his treats..and no rosemary extract. But I did rush him to the vet today minutes after it happened..and she said that he has epilepsy..and I dont believe her..even though she is a reliable vet..it just does not make sense. Scrappy has never had "earlier signs" or anything of that sort. Let me explained what happened, and maybe someone out there can help me out:

I was watching tv, and I heard a loud thump..so I turned around looking to see what it was, and being that my dog is clumsy, I called his name and he came over to me but not normal at all, head slumped down, slow movement almost a drunk state..could barely walk...(he has fallen before and hit his head and has walked like this before but never "quite" this dramatic) so I sat down next to him and told him it was okay and then he just jerked away from so quickly and tried to run away from me...as he did this he lost the ability to use his back legs and then fell and then within seconds..started seizuring..rolling on his back and stomach over and over again so quickly..he didnt freeze up, he didnt shake...he just spun literally over and over..and then he pooped while doing this..which is a clear sign of a seizure...and then he got up and went into the kitchen..like nothing happened....freaked out I rushed him to the vet..and they do a full blood test and everything came back negative..and then she tells me he has epilepsy..I am not sure if I can sleep tonight..Im scared of another seizure...I am pretty sure it was from him falling on his head even tho I did not see it..I defintely heard it. Someone please calm my nerves....

·
Premium Member
17,353 Posts
Brittney, firstly take a deep, deep breath & try to keep calm.
Probably, just probably Scrappy had a seizure before---it sounds like it from what you said that he "has fallen before." All seizures are not necessarily the same. I have experienced many in my 39 yrs. w/maltese---all of them are scary for sure!
If you don't believe the vet, do please take him to another vet w/your medical tests/records for a second opinion. Make notes of everything time/dates/foods/etc. so you can maybe find a pattern. This will really help the vet.
Have you changed foods? any new supplements---think carefully as anything can trigger a seizure.
Praying for little Scrappy and wisdom to know how to move forward! Hugs

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
since you heard a loud thump my thoughts would be he hit his head and had a seizure from that. They can have seizures if they fall on their head. Since it was immediately after that then I would think it was related to the fall. I would keep an eye on him and take good notes. Time of seizures and how long and keep a notebook on this. The meds are strong so usually they do not want to put on meds unless it is rolling seizures which are back to back seizures or they are happening a week a part. Occassional seizure i would not put on meds for nor would most vets recommend - it is just if it is happening alot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How is Scrappy doing today and did you ever find out what the problem was? I have a 5yr old who has had 2 seizures 3 months apart and I found out most dog foods have Rosemary in them. I have eliminated Rosemary and have put her on a supplement from NuVet called NuVet Plus. It is not from a vet and is all natural. You should look into this because she is doing great. Why does the majority of Maltese owners on this feed Candea when it contains Rosemary? Good luck

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
someone just posted this on another group so thought i would add to this thread

Rosemary Extract = Pet Food Neurotoxin

Does your new “natural” cat or dog food contain herbs such as rosemary extract, a neurotoxin that can cause neurological problems, seizures and anemia?
When Veterinarians reported that Premium Edge caused neurological problems in cats, testing found that one batch lacked Vitamin B1(thiamine) but the real culprit in cat and dog foods may be rosemary extract, a natural neurotoxin. Adverse reactions, including seizures, can show up soon after ingestion but symptoms may also be delayed which complicates accurate diagnosis
Nel Liquorman, Health Editor © TheDogPress 03/12/10 There is growing concern since pet food companies began adding rosemary extracts. Very few veterinarians are aware that rosemary or other herbs present a danger. Many vets don’t even realize that herbs have become a popular pet food ingredient. When changes are made to existing recipes, new ingredients are simply added to the label listing.
According to Mombu.com/medicine, "ROSEMARY EXTRACT: Flavoring. PAE: illness. An ounce can cause death" (PAE indicates potential adverse affects). We already know that rosemary extract

·
Registered
294 Posts
here is some info on it

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels...ealthy_diet.htm

Timberwolf Dog Food

Natural Pet Health Info: Seizures & Epilepsy in Dog, Cat & Pets

http://thebarfblog-emily.blogspot.com/2008...s-epilepsy.html

this one brings up another point i have read on is turkey meat is not good to give dogs prone to seizures as i believe the triptofan (spelling?) in it triggers something with them - see below

http://sheltie-hair.blogspot.com/2008/09/c...izure-faqs.html

I have even gone so far as to not use any shampoos or conditioners with lavender or rosemary in it as what is put on skin is absorbed into the body and blood therefore i will not take any chances with those two herbs

I have also read to avoid grains in dogs with epilepsy as that can trigger the seizures

I am on 55 dog groups and try to read alot after having 2 with health issues and now demi with the dental situation I have had to learn alot to be their best advocate :)
OMG! my lavender patch will be RIPPED out as soon as I get home! I have avoided rosemary since having malts altho I love the way it makes my yard smell. Lily had a very lethargic issue at around 6 months after tromping through the lavender field! We could not figure out what was wrong and it never happened again. This would explain what happened. Thanks so much for the information! i will have to check all her grooming products.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Thank you for bumping up this post, lilygirl. My sister's rescued Chihuahua has been having terrible seizures, for which she is being treated with two meds. I'm going to send her this info to make sure Lilah is not getting any food or treats with rosemary extract.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seizures

I have two Maltese's. I feed them only organic food with enzymes and probiotics and never buy treats made from China.

2 days ago I bought Jerky Bars by Dogswell. They are apparently made in the USA. When I got home I gave my dogs these treats-- I noticed my female dog didnt eat it but my male dog did. In a matter of maybe 10 to 15 mins my dog went into a seizure. My dogs are both 7 yrs of age and pretty healthy...no seizure ever. I dont have them on any flea medication or anything toxic that may have caused this.

I ran to emergency and they said they didnt know what it was and after running blood work everything came out normal. They started him on a small dose of Potassium Bromide without asking me and now they want me to administer to him on a daily basis. I really dont want my dog on harmful drugs. I was suppossed to give him medication at home for the first time tonight before bed... but I am not feeling comfortable with this... especially after him panting througout the night last night and having anxious behaviour with drooling. This being one of the possible reactions to the medication. I just went on line and ordered a natural alternative with great reviews- Ease Sure by Pet Alive.

Has anyone experienced this with these treats? I did find online that Dogswell Happy Hips have had issues with dogs getting seizures. That priduct is made in China. I also found online that Rosemary extract can also cause seizures ---which is an ingredient in Jerky Bars.

Any advise? :unsure:

61 - 80 of 81 Posts