Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rosie went to the vet because we noticed that she was scratching her ears quite a bit and it smelled a little. She turned out having an ear infection as we thought. The medicine though makes all of the hair around her ears all greasy and stringy looking. Is this normal? I think it might be the discharge though....

She doesnt seem to scratch her ears much and it doesnt smell either, so thats good. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey too gets the greasy hair when see has an ear infection from the medication. I use Paul Mitchells Tea Tree Shampoo to cut through the greasy hair. Make sure you get the water out of the ears after. I put a Q-tip in Laceys ear, I don't move it around, I just let the Q-tip absorb any water that is in her ears. I also make sure that Lacey's ears are clean of hair but I have found that if I wait and pull all of the hair in the ear canel at once I have a problem. I just pull a little every week. Since I do this every week after her bath I don't have much to pull.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Neither K nor C have had an ear infection (KNOCK ON WOOD!!) but my first Maltese, Rosebud, had them all the time. And yep, that medicine is soooo greasy and yep, it makes their hair all greasy and stringy looking!! So, this is normal....

I hope Rosie will be feeling better soon.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Glad to know it is normal, and I'll try that shampoo

When I put Rosie's bow in, her hair is so greasy that it stickes straight up! I gave her bunny ears :lol:

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
We are currently treating an ear with yeast infection. The medication makes the hair a little oily looking. I have also noticed that Sassy's is getting eye boogers. I think it is from the stress of the ear infection. The eyes are not staining but have a discharge daily. Too it might just be the excess medication getting on her hair and the oil base attracting the dust she stirs up on the floor.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Vet Solutions-Ear Cleaning Solution is a very good product for cleaning the ear..
here is from their website:

Ear Care
Ears are an extension of your dog or cat's skin and may need to be routinely cleaned to prevent infections or remove waxy buildup. Ear cleaning is also an important part of treating ear infections. Always have your pet's ears examined by a veterinarian before putting anything, including cleanser, into them. VET Solutions Ear Cleansing Solution will clean, gently dry, and deodorize the ear. It also produces an unfavorable environment for yeast and bacterial growth. To clean your pet's ear, gently hold the floppy part (pinna) of the ear upright and dispense Ear Cleansing Solution into the ear canal until full. Then massage the base of the ear near the head to help break up wax and debris. Allow your pet to shake his or her head removing most of the cleaner and some debris. Then using cotton balls or paper towels, gently dry the ear as much as possible. Clean as often as directed by your veterinarian.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@Sep 25 2005, 08:45 AM
Vet Solutions-Ear Cleaning Solution is a very good product for cleaning the ear..

Ear Care
Ears are an extension of your dog or cat's skin and may need to be routinely cleaned to prevent infections or remove waxy buildup. Ear cleaning is also an important part of treating ear infections. Always have your pet's ears examined by a veterinarian before putting anything, including cleanser, into them. VET Solutions Ear Cleansing Solution will clean, gently dry, and deodorize the ear. It also produces an unfavorable environment for yeast and bacterial growth. To clean your pet's ear, gently hold the floppy part (pinna) of the ear upright and dispense Ear Cleansing Solution into the ear canal until full. Then massage the base of the ear near the head to help break up wax and debris. Allow your pet to shake his or her head removing most of the cleaner and some debris. Then using cotton balls or paper towels, gently dry the ear as much as possible. Clean as often as directed by your veterinarian.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103156
[/QUOTE]
Thanks

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@Sep 25 2005, 08:45 AM

Ear Care
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103156
[/QUOTE]

This is the exact cleaner that I have used on Sassy for the past 2 1/2 years. I think the fact that I missed a couple of times is why she has her current problem. She has never had any ear problems before. Currently I am using another one Malaseb which has an antifungal. The vet says when we get the yeast cleared up I can go back to VET Solutions Cleasing and Ear Wash. It is good stuff

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Malaseb is an excellent product for the fungal problems! Missy had a yeast infection on her foot which followed by a bacterial infection at one toe. I was told to soak her feet in the malaseb shampoo as directed. I think I did that 3 x week.
Then after that at the first sign of any problem I was to use the malaseb "flush" and it really did a fantastic job of clearing things up quickly.
Missy never had an ear problem so didn't realize they had malaseb for the ears too.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I knock on wood too. Alex has never had an ear infection and I never clean his ears with anything but a Q tip after his shower. But my late lhasa had ear infections and yes the product to clear it made all the hair around the ear oily. Hated that. The more I think about it the more I think ear infections are allergy related. The lhasa had an ear infection already as a pup and developed full blown allergies a couple years later.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by AJ@Sep 29 2005, 07:23 PM
I sure hope that Roie's hair goes back to normal soon, its so annoying watching my little girl with such oily, stringy hair!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104850
[/QUOTE]

Rex had a yeast infection in his ears when we got him and mites so we were treating him for both and he had a horrible mess, it took a few days after his treatment was over for the grease to stop accumulating. After a recheck at the vet, I ended up taking him to the groomers to get him cleaned up and back to normal. Good luck! It is horrible when we have to let our little ones look like greaseballs to get them better!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by RexsMom+Oct 3 2005, 09:59 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-AJ
@Sep 29 2005, 07:23 PM
I sure hope that Roie's hair goes back to normal soon, its so annoying watching my little girl with such oily, stringy hair!
Rex had a yeast infection in his ears when we got him and mites so we were treating him for both and he had a horrible mess, it took a few days after his treatment was over for the grease to stop accumulating. After a recheck at the vet, I ended up taking him to the groomers to get him cleaned up and back to normal. Good luck! It is horrible when we have to let our little ones look like greaseballs to get them better!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105637
[/B][/QUOTE]
We gave Rosie a bath a few days ago and her ears are back to normal!! Was hoping that she wouldnt look like that forever

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by AJ+Oct 3 2005, 08:20 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 3 2005, 09:59 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-AJ

[/QUOTE]
We gave Rosie a bath a few days ago and her ears are back to normal!! Was hoping that she wouldnt look like that forever

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105850
[/B][/QUOTE]
Glad to here she is her normal princess self again!!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by RexsMom+Oct 4 2005, 10:51 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 3 2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 3 2005, 09:59 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-AJ

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105850
Glad to here she is her normal princess self again!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105939
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jack has an ear infection too. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to put the medicine in. I can't get him to hold his head still. even with two of us.

by the way, my vet said to clean his ears with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution. Haven't tried it yet. Don't want to wash out the medication.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts