Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, TicTac was dewormed twice with the breeder and he was dewormed again by my vet the day I brought him home. Since then, I have had 2 fecal tests for him and he tested negative for roundworms.

Today I gave both Peanut and Tic their Heartgard plus, and I read the box and it says "Administer once a month to prevent heartworm disease and to treat and control ascarid and hookworm infectioins in dogs"

Tic just pooed and there is a worm in it :new_Eyecrazy: It looks like the picture of roundworms my vet showed me before (kinda like a spagetti noodle). I have the poo in a ziplock bag now. I'm confused because he has tested negative twice. Did the meds in the Heartgard plus kill the worms so they came out? Should I make an appointment for tomorrow at the vet to have Tic dewormed again? Ew, I'm so grossed out, I've never seen anything like that before.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Puddles did the same way. Hes been on prevent meds since he was 3 months old.

Just 3 months ago he got sick (had a post on it) and there they were....yucks. I took the sample to the vet. Was given Dorntal Plus Tablet 1.25 it was worms. This had happen twice in a year. Our vet said its cause we live in the country and there is no telling what all Puddles sneaks to eat.

Take the sample to the vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
A couple of things. The wormer in the heartworm meds are not really enough to wipe out an infection, but usually do a good job of preventing them. Puppy dewormers are not always 100% and need to be repeated. This is why we check fecals. Also, depending on the stage of the worms, they do not always shed eggs that would be found in the fecal float. In addition, both dogs should be dewormed and the area they defecate in cleaned well and frequently to prevent them from reinfecting themselves.

Dogs often defecate the worms after being dewormed. I would still make sure it is rounds and deworm both dogs and repeat in a few weeks as directed by your vet.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jun 1 2005, 08:45 PM
Tic just pooed and there is a worm in it :new_Eyecrazy: It looks like the picture of roundworms my vet showed me before (kinda like a spagetti noodle).  I have the poo in a ziplock bag now.  I'm confused because he has tested negative twice.  Did the meds in the Heartgard plus kill the worms so they came out?  Should I make an appointment for tomorrow at the vet to have Tic dewormed again?  Ew, I'm so grossed out, I've never seen anything like that before.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67828
[/QUOTE]

Don't quote me on this, but it seemslike I remember my vet telling me before that they would poo out the dead worms...but that was a long time ago and I may have that wrong...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I will call the vet in the morning. I clean the dog's wizdog constantly but I will clean it again right now and again tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by tlunn@Jun 1 2005, 10:18 PM
Don't quote me on this, but it seemslike I remember my vet telling me before that they would poo out the dead worms...but that was a long time ago and I may have that wrong...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67844
[/QUOTE]

I think that's what my vet said before. I'm just worried because he's tested negative twice already and I assume the Heartgard has something in it that killed the worms that came out :eek:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jun 1 2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks!  I will call the vet in the morning.  I clean the dog's wizdog constantly but I will clean it again right now and again tomorrow!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67847
[/QUOTE]

You need to bleach it. I wouldn't be shocked if they reinfected themselves both going on the same small plastic surface. Plastic can be really porous when scratched (that's one of the reasons not to use plastic food/water dishes). Soak it in diluted bleach water once a week for a few weeks in a row.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Jun 1 2005, 10:35 PM
Ok...I'm from the country .... what in the heck is a wizdog??
Sounds like a automatic pooper scooper.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67859
[/QUOTE]
lol, a wiz dog is a little pan that has a plastic grate on top so the pee goes through the grate onto the newspaper or pad that you put into the pan. I like it because Peanut and Tic were constantly tracking wet pee pee paw prints all over the place and this way there is no wetness for them to step on.

wizdog

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times">Is he currently being de-wormed by your vet at the moment? when Peaches under went the de-worming process for the second time, the vet gave her a set of three medications. This process took a little over a month because each dose of meds were given two-three weeks apart. I know that during that time, I did see round and tape worms in her poop here and there. I so wanted to also give her some kind of over the counter de-wormer in between her meds from the vet, but I was advised not to. Were you giving her the over the counter de-wormer along with meds from the vet?</span>

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by g1enda1e@Jun 2 2005, 02:09 AM
<span style="font-family:Times">Is he currently being de-wormed by your vet at the moment? when Peaches under went the de-worming process for the second time, the vet gave her a set of three medications. This process took a little over a month because each dose of meds were given two-three weeks apart. I know that during that time, I did see round and tape worms in her poop here and there. I so wanted to also give her some kind of  over the counter de-wormer in between her meds from the vet, but I was advised not to. Were you giving her the over the counter de-wormer along with meds from the vet?</span>
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67908
[/QUOTE]
No, he was dewormed twice when he was living at the breeder and once with me, but that was over a month ago. Tic is all done with his shots and the next scheduled vet visit is in August for TicTac's neuter. I've had a couple of fecal float tests for both the boys during the first few weeks that I had Tic also and they always came back negative, so I didn't think much about worms. My vet showed me some pics of the different kinds of worms dogs can get and I'm pretty sure it's roundworm. As far as I can remember the vet only used one medicine called Strongid (
I think
).

No, I've never used the over the counter dewormer. I've seen them, but for things like that I'd just rather stick with the vet. The only thing that I did different was give Tic his first ever Heartgard Plus pill. Since I already have Peanut on a set schedule for that the vet said I could just wait and give it to both boys on the same day. I just kinda freaked me out because I thought we were in the clear with the whole worm situation.

Oh, I lied...I had him dewormed twice at the vet. Once the first day I got him and once the next week when I had him in for his rabies shot.

Thanks you guys, for all the info and help

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut+Jun 1 2005, 09:55 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@Jun 1 2005, 10:36 PM
seems like this tops my fleas..

sorry, alissa
let us know how the vet goes.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67861
Thanks Jess, I will.
How's the flea situation going? Did you hunt 'em all down yet

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67869
[/B][/QUOTE]

oh god i'm never gonna be able to live that down am i?!?!

LOL. the fleas appear to be gone. sad story - when we took her to the groomer for a flea shampoo, the groomer was like "i didn't find very many, but i found lots of the flea dirt.. where are the fleas?!" and i was like
um i might have gotten them

so basically i could've kept hunting and gotten them all

1 - 20 of 31 Posts